Bizzare camber behaviour on the S397 P2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Ryan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Registered

So what you're seeing on the telemetry attached below is the car going through a tight left hairpin. The thing I find strange is that the camber of the loaded tire (right) increases through the turn and the camber of the unloaded tire (left) decreases. On all other cars I've driven it's been the other way around and logically it should be.

This behavior happens on all the corners and I just checked my p3 telemetry and it's the same thing.

It's not the case that the camber FL and camber FR somehow got switched around on the telemetry as I've made a large asymmetric change and the camber of the tire I change in game is the one that changes in the telemetry.

I feel like the car loads up inconsistently and erratically on entry and mid corner and I wonder if this goes a long way to explaining why.

The rear tires behave as they should with the camber of the loaded tire decreasing during the corner.

Attached Files:

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Some intresting read about suspension geometry. Not an atack on op finding

Attached Files:

GPNeville, Hectari and Lazza like this.
  3. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Registered

Cheers @Eddy

I never realised camber could increase on the outside tire through a corner. I was thinking of it more as a tire thing than a suspension thing. I guess it actually makes sense when I look at other data like the tire temps.

Eddy likes this.
  4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

In motec if you add a new group to that worksheet and add the steering channel you can see the direct correlation between steering angle and camber.

Bozoman500 likes this.
  5. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Caster will do that. More Caster = more camber when turning the wheel.
    Chopper-motorcycle-with-Lost-Art-Leather-Covers.jpg