Best setting for immersion and not only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mesfigas, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

you keep believing that and us vr users will keep on enjoying our immersion factor....

I avoided VR for a long time because I thought it wouldn't make much difference...boy was I ever wrong about that.

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If post above is to me just to info I own VR ;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

Usual complain is motion sickness from people who tried vr and went back to 2d.
    Everybody agrees that resolution is worse but majority wouldn't go back to 2d because added dimension, feeling of "being there" vastly surpasses any other setup where user is aware of static real space around him and focuses his vision on a motion picture on square screen(s).
    Even though at moments one can get immersed looking at screens enough to become unaware of space around him but brain is never tricked to a level which offers a technology that ocuppies persons entire vision with perceived depth and head tracking.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

No problem guys add anything you like for immersion fun
    VR is welcome :)
    just not for me yet.

Fanapryde and Emery like this.
  5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'm going to wait for the tech to progress a little further before going to VR. I wear glasses and find them uncomfortable and get migraines if I try to use it without them on.

It'll get there though, it's definitely the way forward unlike 3D was.

bwana and Bozoman500 like this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The two "Best Things..." for me were as follows:

1 - Years ago when I first properly started Sim Racing I was sat at a Desk with wheel clamped in front of a small Monitor, with an ordinary wheeled Desk Chair. Then my eyes were opened to Sim Rigs, instead of spending hundreds on someone elses design I built my own out of wood with my Dad in his work shed. I got a Seat (from a Jaguar I believe) from a breakers yard for next to nothing (still use the same seat today!) and it simply transformed Sim Racing for me, even though it wasn't anything to do with the actually hardware I was using it was what I was using that hardware "on" that made the immersion feel so much better than a Desk & Ordinary Chair.

I even went through a stage of attaching Belts to simulate a 4-point harness which strangely gave the immersion an extra kick, I got rid of them in the end but I've always said my next Sim Rig design will incorporate a proper Racing Harness. (I've since built an Aluminium Rig and have rough plans for a MkIII Rig one day)

2 - Then along came VR, simply a game changer, there's enough already said on this subject so I'll leave it at that. :)

7. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

I wear glasses too, I have THIS

bwana likes this.
  8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

WOW!

I'm still about three years from getting there but I'll keep it in mind.

9. Louis

Louis Registered

people should watch more "through lenses video" before going in full vr mode.
    I know the immersion is impressive but overall graphic quality is low at this moment and not mention the costs of upgrading your pc to play at decent frame rates.
    If your budget is relatively tight, much better investing in your pc or other sim stuff (better wheels, pedals, seat, etc). But if money isn't a issue...

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Going waaay off topic, but it has to be asked...
    For us near-sighted old farts who also have to wear reading glasses (or bifocals or trifocals): do you use the reading glass prescription or the standard near-sighted prescription?

bwana likes this.
  11. Bart S

Bart S Member

I'm short sighted but I cant say I have a problem without wearing glasses using the rift, but I'm not that short sighted.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

use whatever you would use for "real" driving...you still focus on distance not close up.

13. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think the distance where your eyes are focusing is something between 1-2 meters. I have heard different numers so i'm not sure what it is exactly for vive or oculus.

Speaking of screens vs vr. Best thing is of course having both. I have htc vive and really like it and now bought a screen also so i can enjoy some eye candy with better pixel density when i want.

14. Louis

Louis Registered

Using 51 degrees in multview tool instead 45 and add feels more immersive (at least with single seaters)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I did the same , thinking the resolution would bother me as i have been spoilt by 4k Ultra for so long , but in December last year caved in and got a Rift and have spent the last 9 months kicking myself for not getting it earlier !

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

The graphic quality is the exact same as on a monitor ! It's the resolution thats lower , if you look past the resolution you will see the graphics look fantastic provided you can push the settings to High . I think the settings i run atm are probably what a lot of people run on their 2D screens .
    But yes i would suggest looking at some through the lense videos and you can see how great it does look !

A force feedback wheel with load cell brake pedal and VR are the best things that immerses me ;)

17. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Any pictures of that Marc? Several years ago I purchased a wooden rig with a Jaguar seat. Would be funny if that was your dads' seat :)

Louis likes this.
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I have somewhere not sure where, the wooden one was dismantled and scrapped and I still use the same seat.

19. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Hey Everyone,
    I posted in the general discussion group as well, but I figured to ask in this post... Does anyone here have a Vive Pro and a High-End Rig such as mine (8700k, 1080Ti, 32gb, etc)?

I just can't get rFactor2 looking good so I wanted to see if anyone could suggest some graphical settings.

Thanks in Advance!