rFactor 2 vs iRacing SEBRING with MSI Afterburner Data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M D Gourley, Aug 5, 2018.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Hello everyone,
    First of all, I am not a tech person so the below info is very novice like...lol...but if any tech knowledgeable people read this and givetheir personal opinion that would be great.
    I loaded up MSI Afterburner into iRacing and rF2 to see how my GPU (GTX 690) and CPU (i7 3770k) was doing crunching some numbers on the Laser scanned 'Sebring' tracks for comparison and also adding in the rF2 Virtua LM Sebring track....just as something fun to do and to look at all the pretty numbers...LOL
    I set up rF2 in 'Practice' only with no other cars as this was the only way I could do the iRacing comparison (bring on the iRacing AI)
    The settings in iRacing were all maxed out and the settings in rF2 were about average / good to have a decent visual quality to them (see attached rF2 screen shot) 2 MSI AB DATA with rF2 SETTINGS.jpg

I was quite amazed at how much different the 3 tracks utilized my PC hardware and was wondering whether a Graphics Card upgrade would do any good.
    The attached screen shots of the MSI Afterburner data is only a snapshot in time at that point as the numbers fluctuated widly in rF2 but not so much in iRacing...so not very scientific.
    From what I can see the iRACING 'laser Sebring' used approx 60% GPU1 & 2 of my GTX 690, but only utilizing approx 48-54% of the power of the 690 and very little of the CPU and Cores were stressed at all, again approx 18%... the RAM usage was 5413 for track data and of course the FPS was about 44 -60 when going around the track. (see attached screenshot)
    1 iRACING Laser SEBRING practice2.jpg
    The rFACTOR 2 12 Hour 'laser Sebring' used 100% GPU1 & 2 of my GTX 690, but only utilizing 52 -59% of the power of the 690 and very little of the CPU and Cores were stressed at all, going as high as 12%...but the RAM usage was very high going up to 8519MB for track data and of course the FPS dropped a lot to about 13 -25 (see attached screenshot)
    3 rF2 Laser 12 Hour SEBRING practice.jpg
    The rFACTOR 2 Full Course 'laser Sebring' was a surprize and giving FPS at approx 38 - 55 when driving solo, but when adding 10 GT3 cars it dropped to 11- 17 FPS, used 100% GPU1 & 2 of my GTX 690, but utilizing a widly fluctuating 46 -74% of the power of the 690 and very little of the CPU and Cores were stressed at all, going as high as 12%.. the RAM usage was less than the rF2 12 Hour coming in at 6980MB for track data. (see attached screenshot).
    4 rF2 Laser Full Course SEBRING practice.jpg
    The biggest surprise was rF2's mod from 'Virtua LM Sebring' using the same rF2 graphics settings as above gave a very playable 82-99 FPS and my 690 usage was at 91% - 100% on both cores as well as the power output of both cores approx 100%. The CPU usage was also up at approx 24% but the RAM was down at 4165MB. (see attached screenshot)
    5 rF2 Virtua LM SEBRING practice.jpg
    ...the big question...'Will getting a better graphics card improve the rFACTOR 2 'Laser SEBRING' performance at the above rF2 settings?....but having said that, I can get ok FPS if I turn down most settings to 'Low' on the rF2 laser 'Sebring' ...it just does not look as good....any insight from tech minded people would be great.
    UPDATE: See post #9 below.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

3. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Why?

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Because rf2 is using 100% of your gpu,so mwoar gpu power is needed.

But really unless you can use the same track in both sims,that have the exact same number off track objects modelled with the same fidelity,then an exact comparison can’t be made.

Bare in mind rf2s serbring is uptodate while iracings is years old,and I’d bet they off track objects are vastly different

Rf2 Sebring is very ram heavy due to the amount of objects around the track,iracing is definitely more optimised than rf2 so I’m in no way defending rf2

M D Gourley likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check GPU RAM usage. Your 690 is dual GPU, so your 4GB is just 2GB for each card. You're probably running out.

Oh, so that's a yes :D

WiZPER, Emery, Andregee and 1 other person like this.
  6. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for showing some interest...your answer makes sense.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply...I dialed in VRAM in Afterburner later after this post and it showed about 730MB for each GPU on rF2's Sebring...but could not run rF2 properly as Afterburner my have some issues when that data was displayed.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@M D Gourley that does seem unusually low, at least based on some vram testing I was doing earlier. The massive FPS drops from some content, and when adding AI, seem indicative of a memory issue.

M D Gourley likes this.
  8. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

Bought the track yesterday and altough it looks and feels amazing it does have a hard time to maintain a decent fps. At least in VR. I have a high-end system as you can see in my signature but during the start(19 AI) and the whole first round I noticed a significant frame drop.

M D Gourley likes this.
  9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

UPDATE
    I found this You Tube video on...'How to Optimize Nvidia Control Panel for Gaming & Performance, The Ultimate Guide...and what a difference it made as I made approx an extra 3 FPS on the start Grid compared to 11 previously with the 10 added GT3 cars and approx an extra 19 FPS, making a total 36 FPS max compared to 17 max FPS previously, also the Vram usage was only 620 - 730MB previously and now it went up to 2040MB max on each core, a massive increase in performance
    The overall visual quality improvement was also amazing....maybe check it out as I followed his entire setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.

rF2 MSI AB UPDATE Grid.jpg rF2 MSI AB UPDATE Race 1.jpg rF2 MSI AB UPDATE Race 2.jpg

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

dont expect a good GPU with a Weak CPU to gain any advantage
    you will get bottleneck
    a 2018 g[u with a 2012 cpu is bad news and offers nothing
    RF2 needs modern hardware to run well

M D Gourley likes this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

GTX 780 : NOOO. The performance of Sebring is absolutely awful, whatever the graphics settings, really.

With gtx 1080 + pcie x16 3.0 + i7 4770k + 16go 1600 Mhz AND mostly cloudy + rain + mirrors (650m) + 17 AI visible + 61 AI + SEBRING 12H + GT3 S397/GTE + night and sunrise with timescale x5 + config.ini ultra + ingame graphics ultra + Nvidia Control panel ultra (except AA standard, from level 5 of the game) :

MINIMUM FPS = ~40 FPS. OK for me.

M D Gourley likes this.
  12. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Your GPU is basically 2 GTX670's in SLI, both having only 2GB of working memory.
    So it's quite under powered for modern games.
    They were introduced 6 years ago, there is a limit to what they can run nowadays.
    Much more complicated shaders, higher vertex counts and a lot of more memory used than 6 years ago.
    SLI scaling is not that good with rF2, or you need to disable a lot of options, till it looks worse than rF1.
    Especially shadows en reflections take the SLI systems down.

On a single GTX 1080Tii run it on a triple screens with almost everything maxed out at +90fps.

WiZPER, bwana, M D Gourley and 3 others like this.
  13. Andregee

Andregee Registered

M D Gourley likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i have 3770k with GTX1080 and 1080p resolution and already have cpu bottlenecking (watch dogs 2, Deus Ex Mankind divided, Planet Coaster). But as i can see here, buying 7700 makes no sense (only for VT-d)

this is a comment from the video you post
    read at the comments below video
    this old cpu might be powerful but you cannot be sure that is gonna work perfect with a pci express 3.0 x16
    most ppl say that you gain more benefits from new motherboards that has that slot and a new gpu that th OP want to buy
    of course he can try buy the GPU he likes first and if he has bottleneck he can buy the rest hardware later
    he dont loose anything by doing that
    he will upgrade sooner or later

M D Gourley likes this.
  15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@ M D Gourley
    what motherboard do you have ?

16. stonec

stonec Registered

The age of CPU is not much relevant. Since about 2011 CPU improvement has slowed down massively, Moore's law no longer applies. From this chart you can see that a 7700K with the same core count is only 25% faster than a 3770K. Meanwhile a GTX 1080 Ti is about 232% the performance of a GTX 690 according to this page, so over twice as powerful. Personally I wouldn't upgrade for a mere 25%, for GPU's it's a good rule of thumb to target at least twice the performance of previous card.

@M D Gourley You need a GPU that supports more than 2 GB VRAM unless you turn down texture detail. Running rF2 Sebring with full circuit and texture details consumes about 3 GB, the 730 MB reading must have been wrong. The iRacing track was built almost 10 years ago when GPUs were five times less powerful.

Emery, mesfigas and M D Gourley like this.
  17. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my Thread Creation #1 Post and I agree completely....But do you read my UPDATE info at Post #9 as I did get a nice performance increase adjusting the Nvidia Control Panel settings...which I am more than happy with.
    rF2 'Laser Sebring' is the only track in all the Sims I have installed to be this low in FPS, all others Sims perform to my satisfaction....however I might have to start saving to update my entire PC to cope with the other laser scanned tracks Studio 397 bring in as their version of Sebring in amazing...thanks for your thoughts Mr Hessels.

18. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for showing some interest....my Motherboard is an ' ASUS P8 z77-V Deluxe, GTX 690, i7 3770K, DDR3 16GB Ram, Cooler Master V1000 80 plus Gold on Win 7 Pro....old I know but it runs all the Sims I have installed in 5760x1080 very well...with the exception on rF2's 'Laser Sebring' on high settings, turns those settings to 'Low' and it is ok....Did you see my 'UPDATE' post #9 above?.

19. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for showing some interest....yes MSI AB was playing up and not working properly at that stage as the Vram was only showing about 730MB on each GPU, so you were correct. I have since re installed the latest stable version of MSI AB and adjusted a lot of settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and the results were very good with a nice performance increase and MSI AB shows my GPU Vram fluctuating at 2040MB for each core....See My Updated Post #9 Above'...for more data. I can play all Sims perfectly fine on my PC at the moment, it was rF2's Sebring that brought it to it's knees...LOL....but with the adjustments made in my above post it is very acceptable to me....thanks for your thoughts stonec.

McKiernan likes this.
  20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

M D Gourley likes this.