Thoughts on laser scanned cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patchedupdemon, Aug 4, 2018.

?

Would you prefer laser scanned official cars

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’m not clued up on this stuff,but I know iracing has laser scanned cars,and the interior was never missing any features,well not that I can remember anyway.

Would this help with the scale of the car to driver model,and would it help speed up the the 3D modelling of the cars.

I personally would pay for them to be created in rf2,but I know some wouldn’t.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm not a moder or even computer savvy. Not sure how hard this is? But I would definitely pay for more of anything for sure.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. filippu

filippu Registered

proper cockpits were made before laser scanning of cars was a thing. all it takes is decent reference (which should be available when a car is licenced), and people willing to do a proper job - not a quick and dirty job from money grabbing people.

oh my.

Alex72 likes this.
  4. patchedupdemon

[QUOTE="filippu, post: 955854, member: 36784- not a quick and dirty job from money grabbing people.

oh my indeed

5. Sid1968

Sid1968 Registered

The more realistic cars and tracks we get the better. Laserscanning is State of the Art and I would pay for it. I want a simulation not just a racinggame. Sebring shows that good maps on rFactor 2 are possible. I want mooore... I beg for the Nordschleife... ;-)

Kind Regards
    Sid

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

You can make cars very close to reality with reference photos. Laser scanned models would probably have no obvious visible differences if the modelers are careful.

EDIT: However, im not sure how aero dynamics works exactly? Would there be a change if the photo referenced cars surface was a little different from the original or is that handled separately?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. Sid1968

Sid1968 Registered

Thats the point "very close" is not exactly. I want it exactly and thats what Laserscanning offers.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

The point is that you cant see the difference. Doing the work to have some millimeters you cant see with your eyes just seems unnecessary. Not the same as scanned tracks. Also, developers can sometimes get models from the car manufacturers that are as close as you can get.

You can of course do the "poor-man's point cloud" and pour flour all over the car or put tape all over it and then photo it from several angles. You can get a point cloud from that, lol. Maybe there is a better way these days.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. patchedupdemon

One thing I’ve noticed with many of isi and s397s cars is that the seating position doesn’t feel correct,the view some cars offer when you line the top of the incar wheel up with your wheel,just seems odd.

Never had that with any of iracings cars,so to me,laser scanning takes out all the guess work

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    vegaguy5555 and Louis like this.
  10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

might be the reason i never drive from cockpit view personally.

11. Louis

Louis Registered

I Would like to have fov adjustment to road and to cockpit. I believe that distance that is used to calculate fov should not be to monitor but to the steering wheel (where the simracing world starts) but doing that, fov of road becomes wrong. So i Split the difference betwenn the wheel and the monitor and add to the distance from my eyes to the wheel. This way i ended with a balanced.
    But this is... well, i never saw anyone doing this or even agreeing about this. Its hard be the only person doing the right thing in the world :D

12. Louis

Louis Registered

images.jpg

vegaguy5555, ceecee, Fremen78 and 8 others like this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Things will only match up if your steering wheel is in the exact same position as the real steering wheel would be if you sat in the real car - which wouldn't happen very often. You're much better off disabling the game steering wheel so you can fine tune your view, unless you feel like making your own physical setup flexible so you can adjust it for each car.

This scale issue is perplexing, and I think it comes down to seat position in the game. For VR especially, where (assuming it's set up right) the FOV can't be incorrect, things like the steering wheel or cockpit being noticeably small just shouldn't be possible. It's not hard to measure those things in a real car (certainly within a cm or two, which you'll never ever notice when playing) and reference photos/blueprints will stop you getting them massively wrong.

@Louis There's no separation of car and track when it comes to FOV. If the track is the right size, and the car is the right size, then everything's fine. And except for very rushed mods they'll be close enough that you wouldn't notice. If you have a visible discrepancy it comes down to seat position.

@Alex72 Aero figures aren't related to car shape at all.

vegaguy5555, McKiernan and mesfigas like this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Meh, I vote for laser scanned grid girls.

Filip, vegaguy5555, McKiernan and 2 others like this.
  15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Louis likes this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

I know but i think this is wrong. Cockpit starts in my steering wheel, not the screen

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

+1 laser scanned grid girls

Laser scanned cars would be great but that’ll just be for visual

No where near the total importance of having laser scanned tracks in a good sim (which is for many more reasons other than visual )

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is a topic for its own thread or a private conversation, but you can easily draw on screen something that is closer than the screen, and with correct sizing/perspective.

Louis likes this.
  19. Emery

Emery Registered

Not to mention the steering wheels have to be the same diameter, etc. Which is just me totally agreeing with Lazza here.

Okay, I'll through out a couple of examples of where laser scanning a car will set up a situation that will cause the in-game steering wheel to not line up:
    1) Triumph GT6/Spitfire pedals are set outboard of the seat centerline due to the transmission tunnel, so on a lefthand drive car your lower body is pointed to the left and your upper body is twisted to the right.
    2) Austin Mini pedals are set inboard of the seat centerline due to inner wheelarches intruding into the footwell, so it's the opposite seating situation of the Triumphs.
    [I owned a GT6 and a Mini at the same time, so this weirdness became very evident when I switched from one car to the other!]

20. Emery

Emery Registered

As for the poll, I voted no. I've already seen how Kunos let laserscanning of example cars give them blinders as to what they could release, thus AC has fantastic cars in LeMans trim, but without an official LeMans track and I don't want to see rF2 become hemmed in like that!