Wierd/reversed FFB only some cars

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by tax, Jul 31, 2018.

1. tax

tax Registered

Wheel T300 , no aids, tried everything. In some cars it feels choppy, inverted, dead and suddenly moves alone on turns.
    • Endurance perfect
    • GT3 perfect
    • Formula-E perfect
    • Megane - perfect
    • Nissan gt-500 GT-r - Perfect
    • Clio - Wierd/inverted/ - soft in the center, suddenly moves alone
    • Civic - Wierd/inverted/ - soft in the center, suddenly moves alone
    • BTCC NGTC MOD 2018 cars - all inverted/wierd except the Subaru Levorg wich is perfect
    Any ideas ?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The ones giving you problems are all front wheel drive cars correct?

fsuarez79 likes this.
  3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Yep not a technical issue per se.....that's rF2's FWD FFB for ya ;)
    Without ever driven a similar car on track irl, I can't say if it's spot on or exaggerated, you can find several forum threads debating about the topic but not really a technical issue

4. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

That's because they have't replaced the adjuster in the UI we used to have in rF1 ;) where you could fix it easily

5. tax

tax Registered

These are extremely wierd, it's quite impossible that it works as intended: it's almost undriveable. In Automobilista i can usually fix this stuff assigning a negative FFb to the car. Why the slider that goes negative is not there anymore ?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's very unlikely to be reverse FFB in those cars. Soft in the centre and sudden mid-corner movement will be the same in reverse.

7. tax

tax Registered

The wheel rotates costantly in the exact opposite direction where it should. It feels absolutely unnatural. Trust me, it's like reversed or something. It gets fixed usually inverting it in other titles. And once you were able to assign a negative value even in RF2 for each car.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it's reversed in those cars the wheel will help you turn it at rest. My Clio definitely doesn't do that. It also feels fine at speed, and in corners, until I hit the throttle. Then there's some torque steer and what I assume is the effect of losing traction due to wheelspin - accurate or not.

oppolo and Filip like this.
  9. tax

tax Registered

Can't we just have the negative FFB slider back ? :D

10. lagg

lagg Registered

You can change the sense of the forces changing the sign of the parameter Steering effects strength.in your controller.json

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I did try that myself @lagg , to help confirm (for myself) what I was saying, but I find that the value resets itself when I jump in the car. Not sure if that's just how I've set my controls up or what.

Anyway, actually reversed forces feel very different to how the FWD cars feel, and reversing it isn't the solution.

12. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

FWD not a joke :rolleyes:

Lower diff power settings could help to reduce this effect :)

13. lagg

lagg Registered

If the problem is the tipical effect of the FWD cars, to reverse the forces is not going to solve the problem.
    But you can reverse the forces changing the sense of the Steering effects strength of your controller json file.
    I haven't explained it correctly before.
    The procedure is:
    • Save your settings in a json file called lazza_Controller.json (for example).
    • Open lazza_Controller.json with notepad (or any text editor).
    • Change the sign of the Steering effects strength parameter.
    • Load again the lazza_Controller.json in rFactor 2
    This procedure will load the lazza_Controller.json in the controller.json with the parameter changed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Lazza likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ahhh, right. I'll give that a go then. I've only ever modified the controller.JSON the game generates and changes itself. Cheers!

lagg likes this.
  15. Vance Le Garde

Changing the .json file manually def works and it depends on whether the physics have the steering rack setup as to how you have to set it up in the .json file, whether it (the steering rack) is in front or behind the front axle as to how the FFB gives you a feedback in any direction. Simply put we need the slider we had in rF1 back ;) this enables us to change the way the wheel works without editing files. Been an issue since rF2 was first in testing. But back then the admins said rF2 had a smart system and it adjusted it itself which it obviously doesn't which is why you need to set it per car after driving it.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@vancstar that sounds more like rF1 realfeel to me; I think rF2 doesn't have this issue. I would bet my left one the FWD cars don't have reversed FFB, and there shouldn't be any need to reverse it for specific cars.

@lagg Nup, still doesn't work for me. I can save a new profile and make changes, but when I jump in the car the controller.JSON (the one the game is currently using) still says -10000. I checked that the loading is working correctly by also modifying the minimum torque, which comes through fine, so the game is perhaps too smart and still working out my wheel needs negative FFB output.

Anyway, for these problematic cars, the proof that the FFB isn't reversed is that when rolling along the wheel pushes itself back to centre fine. It's only when accelerating you get the kick in the direction of turning. I remember reversed FFB from my Logitech momo and G25 back in rF1 (and the occasional car with realfeel) and it's a totally different feeling.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    oppolo likes this.
  17. Vance Le Garde

@Lazza, weird then how my 1975 F1 car requires it ;) otherwise the steering wheel falls into the corner and has no load at all on it.

Each to their own the team at the time said it was smarter system in rF2, but when you look in the .json file the same adjustment is there we just can't adjust it in game anymore in rF2(from the beginning) so I would say that it isn't a smarter system just the slider we could use has been dropped from the UI. I am sure it wouldn't be hard for clever people to add it in sometime in any new UI. I am happy to open the file edit and make the cars steering feel like a real car, so no drama's.

tax likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@vancstar Well if there's a car that requires it I'm stuffed, because I can't change it. Which mod is that?

19. tax

tax Registered

If the goal for this new "life" of the sim is to make it polished, smarter and usable for standard people without dipping into configuration files , then the slider must be brought back in the UI, along with all possible FFB-editing tools, so each car can be configured as needed, when needed.
    Someone please notify about this to the studio(or tell me how i can): this issue is so annoying that makes me want to quit playing the sim;
    and i'm really not a "basic user". What i find strange is that the cars they made recently are so perfectly fine-tuned , FFB-wise .
    That makes me think also that the old beaters need a new check-up by them after the recent patches.
    Front drives without editing are completely undriveable for me ATM with my T300.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@tax are you saying you successfully reversed your FFB, and the FWD cars now feel fine?