Steering wheel deg glitch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRoque, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hello,

I've developed a recent issue with the apparent degree/setup of my steering wheel. Seemingly at random times, it will change my standard 504 (19) degree setup to one that's much larger range. Sorry if I'm not describing this accurately. The net effect is that I have to tilt my steering wheel much more to turn the desired amount. I can actually see the display wheel glitch and jump into a new position and from there it feels like I'm driving a 1970's Oldsmobile. If I restart the race/practice session, even without leaving the track, it will reset back to normal.

I would normally trace my steps to what changed last but unfortunately for me, many things changed about a week ago:
    - I went from a GTX-1060 video card to a GTX-1080 TI.
    - I installed the latest NVidia drivers with a 'clean' setup. I've since tried older drivers, to no effect.
    - Windows decided that new updates were needed and installed those
    - Oculus, Steam and SteamVR also refreshed

Ironically, my Logitech G27 driver do not appear to have changed.

Anyone else experiencing this glitch or have some tips for me?

Thanks!
    JR

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't been using my G27 for a year or two now (after an upgrade to a newer wheel), but among several league members some of us had no issues, others had the above happening randomly. No fix was found for those people, just picking a rotation and setting that in the profiler (as the global option) so it wouldn't change, was the best option.

3. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I ran the same G27 setup for a couple of years without a single issue like this. I did notice initially that rotation (that's the term I was looking for, thanks) would vary from car to car so I set the angle limits in the Logitech profiler. That has not changed.

I'm thinking that perhaps I'm pushing the new video card too hard with "ultra" settings everywhere. I'm going to try backing off on some of those and seeing if that has any effect. That'd be unfortunate since I bought the 1080 to precisely push quality, etc higher.

Regards,
    JR

4. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Hi.
    I also had this problem with my G27 wheel. I changed the usb port and the problem disappeared.
    Just try another usb port, maybe it will fix your problem.

5. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi there. That was a solid lead as I indeed had unplugged everything when I swapped the video card. However, I did plug it into two different USB ports - one in an entirely different channel - but the problem remains.

I will double-check the Logitech profiler setting to ensure it remains enforced (if there's such a thing) and also drop some of the video post effects in case something's overtaxing the system and causing it to skip a beat.

Regards,
    JR

6. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Make sure you aren’t accidentally enabling steering help as you go to hit esc or something, it’s bound to f1 from memory. Accidentally hitting that and putting steering help on low will cause issues like that.

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

The solution is: set the "reset ffb" (misc tab) function to a Button, and just use It when you feel that you loose the degs of rotation.

I have a G27 too, and It happens some times

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Louis likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I hope @ebeninca 's solution does work for you, but it didn't for us.

9. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued help, everyone.

@DanielK, I thought the exact same thing the first time it happened until I realized it was happening mid race/practice while both my hands were on the steering wheel.

@ebeninca, I'll keep that suggestion as a possible workaround. I'd hate having the underlying issue be there and surface as a critical time in a race - I need all the help I can get with my terrible driving :) But, may have no other choice.

What is puzzling me is that I hadn't seen this issue ever before since I bought and installed rF2 and the G27 kit ~4 years ago. I've gone through several video card upgrades and even upped my CPU while keeping rF2 set as it was. I will be testing with <Ultra settings tonight.

Cheers,
    JR

10. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi all, update.

I set the steering rotation inside the rF2 settings page, "Vehicle Set" and was able to catch the issue in the act: as soon as the wheel went 'soft' with this issue, I quit the race, went to settings and my Vehicle Set checkmark was grayed out. The only thing that would change that is the Logitech Profiler program, I guessed. I disabled Profiler from starting on boot and quit it entirely, getting past the ominous "nothing will work if you quit the profiler" message, which is not true.

To test, I sacrificed myself in the name of science and conducted a ~5 hour session of races and practices... for research purposes, of course. I did not have a single instance of the issue in that time so it looks good.

I can't call it fixed just yet but will continue to monitor and update this page if the solution sticks. I might also reinstall Profiler to see if that helps but it's really not needed for me as my gear is dedicated and rF2 has all the settings I need built-in.

Regards,
    JR