Utilize more cores...

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dan-Ove Brantholm, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Dan-Ove Brantholm Registered

Will rfactor be able to use more cores in the near future? I built a new computer this year and really did my homework to optimize it for rfactor2. I built the computer around the I7-8700 which had one of the best single core performance among the non-overclocking cpu:s. I kept my GTX1050 at the time waiting for the GTX11xx GPU:s. This week I borrowed some extra monitors from my work just to test the "Multiview" function, and was surprised that I actually could run it with my 1050 card. (Windowed 5760*600). Formula ISI, San Marino with 20 AI (Visible), everything on low and having over 80 fps in min!!! Although the league I race in have some heavy tracks and the car also is a bit heavier so i bought a used 980ti. That card has more than twice the performance than my 1050, but my expected gain of 100% more fps didn't come in the heavier environments. After some investigation I realized that that I only had 50% load on the GPU, but one of the CPU cores were almost constant on 100%. The tests were done with only AI:s so we can take away all the ffb, tyre simulation etc from the load.

I know it would be a lot of work, but is it possible for s397 to split the executing code to more cores or are the codebase "stuck" were it it is?

The only good thing about this is that I bought a used 230$ 980ti instead of wasting my money on the upcoming 1180 that probably gonna end up >1000$

If there are more users that have the same/similar experience, please write some lines about it. Maybe I'm totally wrong here?!

2. zzigg

zzigg Registered

what is the problem of rf2 with the cores? I have an old CPU (very old) and I can run the rf2 with any car or track with 19 visible AI(sunny or overcast not night) and with everything full or high, only the shadows , low.(58/59 FPS) and I plan to upgrade to the new generation of processors that have more than 4 cores. the question is: will I be able to play rf2? thanks in advance

3. stonec

stonec Registered

@danove_b Are you sure you didn't turn aggressive threading on? rF2 on default settings since 2018 updates should utilize multi-core rendering, at least for most things. Anyway you are right that if one CPU core sits at 100%, GPU update won't help.

4. Dan-Ove Brantholm

I don't have aggressive threading on, I tried it on my old computer once and realized that the cpu load went up more. I also tried to disable hyperthreading with no difference. It feels just weird having 11 cores doing sub 10% and one that goes 100%.I found some post about start the exe with some affinity command, but that didn't make any difference.

5. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Did some more investigating today. Very strange thing here: If I start rfactor2 normally it takes all the cores, but it seems to only use 4-6 of them actually. One of the cores are almost 100% continuous. But if I start it with only 4 cores, the load seems to be more evenly spread. Although I cannot notice any fps difference.

One of the cores when using all cores:
    upload_2018-7-30_20-20-17.png

When using 4 cores:
    upload_2018-7-30_20-22-34.png

6. Jaileh

Jaileh Registered

What is the command line to choose number of cores you use?

7. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Sorry, some misunderstanding here. I limitied my cpu to 4 cores in the bios setting.