Can't get LAN to work, join game greyed out

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Curtis, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Curtis

Curtis Registered

Hello, a few days ago I purchased two copies of rFactor 2 from Steam so that I can get two computers in the same room to play together (my son and I).

I read through a bunch of posts on the forum and have taken it as far as I can. I need help.

Here is what I have done. I opened the ports on my router. I changed the http server port to 27013. From my fastest computer I opened up the dedicated server applet and started up a LAN game. I can select "Join Race" and go into the game. Works fine.

On the other computer, I selected LAN from the network type list and the game I started DOES APPEAR in the list. However, the "Join Race" is greyed out when I hover over it with the mouse. If I select "Join Race" nothing happens... but about 10 seconds later, a message pops up in red text that says

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I have no clue what is wrong or what to try next. It really should not be this difficult to get a simple LAN game between two computers to work. :(

Thank you for any help!

Hazi likes this.
  2. Curtis

Curtis Registered

Anyone? My son has been very patient with his daddy who can "fix anything".... lol

3. Curtis

Curtis Registered

Is there a tech support email for the developer of rFactor 2? Just purchased these games and can not find a way to contact them for support.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

When you purchased the two copies, did you buy for separate steam accounts or are both on the one steam account? If the latter then as far as I'm aware you cannot have two MP instances of rF2 running on the same steam account.