Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Definitely a difference on a monitor with all head movement turned off (so normally the camera is 'locked' to the car, but with Stabilize Horizon on High the car moves around a bit on screen). Unfortunately it's not enough for my liking/use with low FOV on a screen.

My test case is Meganes at Bathurst. By Turn 2 you can see the difference.

2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

i got the impression that with head physics off, the effect is smaller. I think the effect could be much stronger

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Same here, still much shaking w/ High. Briefly had a chance to try Low and it appears better, not tested enough though. Is Low supposed to be closer to LTH?

4. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Well the setting says Stabilize Horizon, so i'm assuming that High means it should be more stable and low or off should be horizon movement.

5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Yeah, thats how I'd interpret it as well. Unfortunately, with High, the horizon still shakes so much. Hope they adjust it further.

6. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I noticed the same, does not seem to lock the horizon on any setting, I hope I and many other are missing something, because this is not working for me.

Ernie likes this.
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not a lock to horizon feature. Think of it more as a damper, which should remove effect of any bumps, so the horizon shouldn't quickly vibrate up and down. For me on a single screen when driving Nordschleife, even "low" gives a lot better feeling than off.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just to reiterate what stonec says above this is NOT a Lock To Horizon like what is found in other games, it does what the name suggests in that it Stabilizes the view:
    Off = No stabilisation
    Low = Low Stabilisation
    Medium = Medium Stabilisation
    High = High Stabilisation

For tracks with immense bumps like Sebring you'd maybe want Medium or High to "smooth" the view, for glass smooth tracks like some 3rd party content Off or Low would be used. But as ever it's very much a personal preference, some people are affected by VR motion sickness more than others so find a setting that suits you best, one man's Low might be another man's High for example! That's where it's great that we have the option of a few settings and its not just an On/Off switch

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm having a VR problem with my Vive at the new Sebring. I have seen it sporadically at other tracks but it is very repeatable at the new Sebring. What I'm experiencing is that at turn 3 I suddenly drop below 90FPS and nothing can bring it back up. (I have the SteamVR settings set to show me a scrolling bar of missed frames.) This happens even if the are no cars in sight. Also, I can stare up at a clear blue sky and I still miss frames. If it is a momentary overload either of these two actions (no cars or clear sky) will bring my FPS back up. But in this situation, once it drops down it is locked in.

And as I said, I have seen it once or twice before at other tracks (I don't remember which) but at Sebring it always happens.

Any ideas?

10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Your PC is to slow. Use the full course instead of the 12h version.

vittorio likes this.
  11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Well thanks! That fixes it! The 12h and the full course have the same layout so I picked 12h... why not? Uh yeah, the full course is like a track day. 12h has the entire infield packed with trailers, RVs, cars and who knows what else. I guess this is all rendered no matter where you are staring. Sad because the 12h is very rich!

I don't know what system could use this version. Mine is pretty strong.

12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I am happy owning a rift with ASW, so that 45fps are enough to have fun because constant 90fps are really difficulty or better impossibly to get in rFactor2

13. rosko

rosko Registered

14. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

how do you have setted this sliders for vr?

[​IMG]

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Personally I have Head Physics 100%, Head Vibration Off.
    Look Ahead doesn't do anything in VR, not sure about Yaw

ayrtonforever likes this.
  16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Just checking if my observation is consistent with the observation of others, that Low locks the horizon more than High (ie. a bug that its inverted)? Just saw a post in RD.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Correct , seems that way for me

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

IIRC, using yaw in VR is really bad, far worse than bouncing for me.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I agree on this , my PC is pretty strong also but need really pretty low settings to run rF2 in VR :(

sherpa25 likes this.
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This does seem like the only solution atm hey :( but there are so many artifacts from ASW !