Which VR Do you use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JimmyT, Jun 23, 2018.

?

Which VR Headset do you use

Poll closed Jul 12, 2018.
  1. Vive

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Oculus

63 vote(s)
    80.8%
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Depco

Depco Registered

VR is about 110 degrees of FOV... but really if you want to look left or right you simply look left or right. No need for a wider FOV to get situational awareness. This is more of a problem with flat screens and why drivers use triple screens.

Ernie likes this.
  2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Exactly. FOV in VR is not comparable to FOV with monitors, because due to headtracking in VR you simply can look left or right (or even behind if you want to know your opponents position).
    110° FOV is a good compromise for 1st gen. VR HMDs, because FOV and resolution will always be a compromise. BTW, looking at Oculus "Half Dome" 2nd gen. VR HMD prototype, FOV will be increased to 140° FOV and probably much higher resolution.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  3. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi all. I entered sim racing around the time Oculus was announced as a product in development. I resisted going multi-monitor since I had a feeling VR would be a godsend for sims. I was right. The experience of immersion is just amazing compared to monitors. Not that I'm any good at this but I've already broken my best times on every track I had raced before with a flat screen. I can't see myself ever going back.

Current VR lacks video density and clarity as most far away things look fuzzy. But as others have said, it's a small price to pay. For sure, I will be upgrading to the next-gen VR when it comes out.

Cheers,
    JR

4. Louis

Louis Registered

JimmyT and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  5. Louis

Louis Registered

I found the rift blurry than others but like he said, the way he recorded could influence sometimes. I think maybe for that rift has better antialiasing than others it seems to me at 2:38

edit> and lenovo is good, but wrong colors sometimes

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Ive tried 3 different WMD HMD's and all three had a really small sweetspot making finding a clear view hard , maybe because they dont have any IPD adjustment .
    I went with the Rift and will hold off anymore VR purchased till a true v2 comes out instead of what the Vive Pro tried with only a refresh kind of upgrade instead of a full generation increase .

7. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Registered

Same for me. Love the rift despite the low res. Will never go back to 2D (cockpit)gaming. I won’t buy a new headset before it is significant beter than we have today.

JimmyT likes this.