Dev Mode fubar

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Doogal, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Doogal

Doogal Registered

Just wondering of anyone else has had problems like this before? Only seems to happen on the cars I'm doing atm (haven't done anything for the last few months) and is not just one track. Clearing the cbash/shaders and deleting the .jason works for about the first time I load a car up and then it's back to this??

[​IMG]

The only thing that should be missing are the wingmirrors lol

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you'll either need to give more info or provide your .gen files (at least) for people to find the problem.

What .JSON are you deleting? Deleting JSONs isn't a normal 'graphical reset' step.

3. Doogal

Doogal Registered

Problem is it seems totally random as to what it will load up..sometimes it's perfectly fine and loads up all that it should from the .gen other times its a garbled mess...(same problem with the roadsters as well) I'll try and put the .gen up anyway, as for the .json (not .jason lol soz) it was the player.json file that I deleted in an effort to try and reset everything to default.

Attached Files:

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

The most gmt are uncommented (have 2 slashes in front of the line) in the gen file, so they can not show up.
    And in devmode, i would recommend to work without any <max>, <high>... tags as long as it is work in progress.
    Setting these tags, can be done as a kind of optimisation, at the end of the development.
    And i would strongly recommend, to only use folders, that include the from the mas files extracted files and delete all mas files.
    Also delete all links to the mas files from the gen files, except the one to the cmaps.mas.
    Keeping the mas files in devmode, that contain the same files that already are in the folders, will cause problems for sure.
    And link the folders properly in the gen files.
    I can not see a reason why the wheels don't show up, but because there can be some reasons, you would have to upload the mod, that we can take a look at it.
    And it's not the devmode that is fubar. ;)

5. Doogal

Doogal Registered

The remmed/uncommented lines are intentional, just makes thing easier to work on :), I'll remove the lod tags for now like you say being as I'm only using the max parts atm. I didn't think the car would show at all if was only in folders? certainly be quicker though as every time I make a change I've been updating the .mas files as well...
    As it stands I think the garbled textures/models might be cured but needs more testing, still doesn't solve the problem of parts not showing up (there's no loading errors btw) but I think it's anything listed after the EXTERNALS instance barring the suspension that's not showing?

Update - I can get the other parts to show, but only if everything under EXTERNALS and COCKPIT is remmed out....

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

remmed… damn, nice BASIC reference... lol

I'm going to be pedantic and say that a line beginning with // is definitely commented, not uncommented.

Devmode will pull files from all sorts of places if you're not careful, you either have your MAS files in there and that's it, or you have folders (with the correct references/searchpaths for them) with your files - single version of each file. Don't go making backup folders in there, which shouldn't matter because you haven't referenced them - weird stuff will happen.

@Bernd Sorry, the commented/uncommented thing really wasn't meant to be major, that's why I acknowledged I was being pedantic. So nothing overly important, I just couldn't help but point it out. Commented in this context isn't proper english either, it's very much a programming concept, and yes, it was clear what you meant :)

7. Doogal

Doogal Registered

I've changed the coupe model to folders only and updated the searchpaths but still the same problem, is it still normal to have separate internal and external (lower detail) cockpits?. As for remmed lol , this was mentioned on the No-Grip forums about 10 years ago lol when I started modding GTR2 - didn't know any better so it stuck :D..BASIC? I was in Juniors at the time that came out. Your right about being commented vs. uncommented..I was just going with Bernd's post.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Commented .... uncommented.
    Englisch is not my native language, sorry. :)
    And in german language commented means something completely different.
    Anyway, i had written The most gmt are uncommented (have 2 slashes in front of the line)
    so everybody should know what is meant. ;)
    @Doogal If you still can't get it working, would you upload the whole folder, as you have it in devmode, of that car?
    With having the things on my own machine, it's much easier and faster to find out where the problem is.

9. Doogal

Doogal Registered

It wasn't a problem and you grasp of English is far better than mine ever will be of German :D, anyway I've been trying a few things and it seems to be narrowed down to the COCKPIT instance, if it's disabled - everything else will load. If it's enabled only the chassis/body and the suspension .gmt's will load. The only thing special I can see about the suspension is that it's the only thing not in the damage file? Which has now got me wondering whether that should be put in with the other parts under the externals instance? bwm lol, if that doesn't work I'll try and chuck everything in a .zip and post it up.

Well after all that it seems to work :)..so it seems if you have a non-debris/damageable/detatchable external part - don't give it it's own instance, chuck it in with the other external instance parts lol. Bernd, Lazza - thanks for replying it's good to know there's people willing to help :) and it's bound to not be the last of my problems...

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Good to hear that it works now. :)