Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Its easier to tell why dogs do it since i have VR , lol

bravotangosix, Ernie and Seven Smiles like this.
  2. Depco

Depco Registered

I have done the head out the window thing... But I have not yet actually gotten out of the car and walked around like some of my friends have... Maybe Ill do that today.

bravotangosix likes this.
  3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I have, the only time I wished I had a wireless HMD (or rF2 had teleporting) then I could walk further. rF2 doesn't have rear wheels, AC does...

And then there's sitting in the passenger seat watching the headless driver. Or sitting alongside a single-seater, as if you are in a sidecar :eek:

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah unfortunately the cars are "unfinished" in VR for RF2, no game breaker for me as I rarely get out for a wander.
    When I did I used AC and gasped lovingly at their car models, beautiful things. Biggest shock I got was getting out the seat in my Sidewinder in Elite Dangerous and seeing the headless corpse...!

5. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

I use the swingman camera to "get outside" the car and have a look around. That way everything renders as it should. I've done some spectating that way as well. Some trackside cameras even put you in the stands :)

TK

Seven Smiles likes this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've sat in the crowd at various section around Bathurst just as i did in Real Life in 2014, in VR watching the cars go by was eerily similar and great all the same.

7. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Okay just got my oculus CV1 and running medium settings on a GTX 970 getting 90fps in rain on a 24 car starting grid. So, I can safely say performance with Oculus or low-end/old GPUs isn't an issue :)

8. Andregee

Andregee Registered

How Do you check your framrate? I bet you noticed 90fps with ASW, which doubles the framerate from 45 to 90

9. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Ingame frame count or steam. When ASW kicks in, both show 45fps which confirms that it's accurate. I had a solid 90 though, except one two drops that could've happened on singles as well

10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Even a 1070 isnĀ“t capable of keeping 90fps with 24 visible ai in the rain, its even difficulty or impossible to keep 45fps

11. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lock to horizon is finally coming WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrianstealth and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  12. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Well I'll take that back, I can't seem to see any difference between Off or High, Do we just have to change it in game or am I missing something, Any others notice the same?

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I'll will have a look later tonight , I really hope it works .
    I haven't fired up rF2 in over a week . Keen as.....

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Are you trying on bumpy tracks? Smooth tracks like Silverstone you won't notice much difference, where as at Sebring, Mills, Mountain section at Bathurst are examples of bumpy tracks where you'll notice a difference between the settings.

15. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Just did a comparison with iRacing, in the skippy at lime rock, when going down the main straight in iRacing and you go on the grass the bridge in the distance stays rock steady but the car is bouncing, but with rFactor the bridge is still moving up and down, then did some more laps and the trees are moving up and down as well. I tried to just concentrate on the road but it seems my peripheral still picks it up and makes me feel not quite right. I could lap in iRacing till the cows came home and not feel any different, but rFactor seems to affect me.
    Really hoped this would work as the AI are pretty damn good to race against.

Hi Marc It's the subtle stuff that seems to affect me, so thought if a smooth track don't work then a bumpy one will be off it's chops.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Ernie likes this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The HIGH Stabalize Setting is different from other games LTH because it doesn't actually 'Lock', there is still movement but it's highly reduced from OFF. It may need some getting used too and as ever everyone is different when it comes to VR and Motion Sickness so I can fully understand where you're coming from, if you buy Sebring later try to run some laps as normal (i.e. on track not grass!) on each of the settings and you may feel you come accustomed to one of them. It's certainly a tricky area to get right but I think S397 have done a great job with this Option, there maybe room for tweaking in the future perhaps once more people try it out. :)

17. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

N
    no worries, I'll try a few more tracks, I tried the grass just to exaggerate the effect, but did a few laps on track only, and as you say it's highly reduced but not completely on. Would be nice if i could tell my brain to not notice it, but i'm not that clever :D

MarcG likes this.
  18. blagger

blagger Registered

I also couldn't notice any difference between off and high. In ether case the view is fixed to the cockpit and the horizon is shaking.

Ernie and OzzyNeil like this.
  19. savy512

savy512 Registered

the settings for the stabilized horizon seem to be in reverse order. I also didn't see any difference on high, then I tried the other settings and noticed the biggest difference on low but for me it could still be a bit more stable :)

20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Have you switched off the head movement?