[REL] 1967 Endurance (Proto/Sports/GT) - modded Howston G4

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by woochoo, Jan 5, 2015.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Some screenshots to celebrate mid-June!
    I've been messing about with the body shape on the cars (not all of them yet), just doing some pushing and pulling for the most part, and learning a little bit about the graphics/system side of car modding.
    The next update (no specific eta) will include the adjusted body shapes and custom wheel colours :D
    I was surprised how much more visually interesting it made the mod, but i guess it shouldn't have been a surprise.
    GRAB_001.JPG
    GRAB_002.JPG GRAB_003.JPG GRAB_004.JPG GRAB_005.JPG GRAB_006.JPG GRAB_007.JPG

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

(continued)
    GRAB_008.JPG

GRAB_009.JPG GRAB_010.JPG GRAB_011.JPG GRAB_012.JPG GRAB_013.JPG

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

A preview of the new icon set (hence low-res), showing the car shape adjustments (so far), and the varied wheel colours.
    Classes have also been implemented for easier car/opponent selection, and class position/results

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  4. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Venturing into a few different playgrounds for a bit of screenshot fun :D

Most people probably won't notice, but red number 1 automatically switches to a yellow livery in a certain part of Florida ;)

2018-07-23_20h12_56.jpg

2018-07-23_19h57_04.jpg

2018-07-23_20h02_38.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Ah! My all-time favorite car, the Chaparral!!!!(or, at least a reasonable facsimile)

6. Duncan

Duncan Registered

I like those classic cars but the ai can't handle them.
    At Spa (66) in several sectors it's crash over crash, also on Le Mans (67) at Mulsanne.
    It's the same on Spa 66 with Eve/Sparks F1.
    It's too bad. The only vintage cars reasonably designed are The March and Brabham.
    For others if you want to approach the lap time reached in the past you're close to the crash at each turn or braking phase.
    Ais are unable to drive those cars.
    So since very few leagues propose those cars in online race and ai can't handle them, their only use is hotlap.
    Too bad.

7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

yes, it would be nice if the AI could get some work for these sorts of cars which have more power than grip.
    Slicks and wings do seem to be more suited to the AI's capability.

ApexModding likes this.
  8. Duncan

Duncan Registered

I consider that a good way to improve these cars and not sacryfing the to the "realistic sim" God would be to
    give them modern tyres like, i guess, its done in today's real historic events.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Here is a thought for the Chaparrals. They used an automatic transmission, or rather a two speed semi auto but I'm pretty sure rF2 would have problems trying to replicate that. Now...the real hack.
    The rear wing provided approximately 300 additional ft lbs of downforce. A manual reverse DRS could be upgraded that adds the extra downforce OR you could just build the car with the extra downforce AND drag. Then use the third pedal(clutch) to enable a turbo that provides enough horsepower to overpower the extra drag when the pedal was pushed. I know the cars did not have turbos, but unless you can simulate the moveable wing, you would have to cheat and use extra horsepower so that the extra downforce/drag is not a hindrance. AND if I remember....they had a hidden undercar front wing/chin spoiler to keep the car balanced.

10. woochoo

woochoo Registered

thanks for those ideas Dave,
    1) i've been working under the impression it was three-speed automatic, for that long french race at least, so that's what i've got.
    2) the reverse DRS idea is cool
    2a) i don't know anything about setting up DRS for cars, but i could guess it's do-able, and the best solution
    2b) i don't know if there is a car-side setting that lets a DRS be used outside of DRS zones or sessions
    3) currently the car is meant to have the stated power/speed from that long french race, with a little extra downforce tuned to the lap time, roughly, which i think is independent of drag values, so doesn't make much difference on the straights. yes, it will be a slightly skewed performance profile on the french track, and probably more so on other tracks. You can check that right now in the current version, using car #7 or #8, which already have the gearing/power/speed/aero settings i've mentioned

if there is anyone out there willing to help make @davehenrie's reverse DRS dreams come true, in physics and graphics, get in touch with me.
    same applies to any of the other cars. If you know how to mod, and you think the current version needs some improvement, get in touch

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The solution may and I stress MAY have to come from the track side. perhaps placing drs zones around each straight (or actually in the corners)rather than just in one or two zones. Like you, I don't know HOW this might be achieved.

12. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Why reverse DRS when you can just regular DRS the physics? You don't have to do anything with trick engines or anything like that...

13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

yes, i suppose so
    Why? because i don't know what i'm doing :p

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Hi Chris, I may be overthinking the process. The wing, I THINK, was normally in a flat position and only was angled down while braking for a corner. (a third pedal was used if I recall, remember no clutch pedal needed) So modern DRS is enabled to reduce downforce and drag in certain straights, while the Chaparrals used the opposite procedure to increase drag and downforce only in the corners.

15. woochoo

woochoo Registered

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

always willing to NUDGE somebody....lol

woochoo likes this.
  17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Here is a bit more indepth explanation of how Chaparral used its wing :
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/chaparral-2e-guiding-light-race-car-aerodynamics/

woochoo likes this.
  18. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Well, i had a brief poke about and have been able to implement the rear flap physics over dinner.
    They might be wildly inappropriate values. You could say i'm WINGING it...
    Don't miss that pun ;)

Code:
    FlapDrag=(0.0,0.1)         // base drag when activated, multiplier by deactivated drag to add in
    FlapLift=(0.0,0.7)         // base lift when activated, multiplier by deactivated lift to add in
    FlapTimes=(0.5,0.55,0.5,0.55) // visual activation, physical activation, visual deactivation, physical deactivation
    FlapRules=(0.5,0.03) //(0.5,0.03)// throttle threshold, brake threshold for automatic deactivation
    BodyDragBase=(0.28) // before rear flap added BodyDragBase=(0.25)

the original top speed was 330 before the kink at that long french track.
    with these settings it can hit 330 with the flap open / low drag angle
    and 320 with the wing in downforce angle.
    If anyone has better data, please mention it.

If anyone has any solid info on how quickly the flap could move, that can be used. I've gone with 0.5s, because i don't know :D
    The car gets really flighty when crossing the road crown now, with the flap open / activated.
    Have to lift off to deactivate the wing for the kink. Also flighty over the hump with the wing in low drag.
    Not sure the original went back into downforce mode when the throttle was lifted. I can disable that if anyone wants to complain. [edit] have disabled throttle lift deactivation because it was cancelling on gear shifts - now only disabled manually or by brake pressure

Also, this is only the physics. I have no idea about what to do with the mesh to visually represent it. Tips or links please :)
    [edit]: this works now - for reference see these links
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/drs-deactivate.54971/#post-885253
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/implementing-drs-system.32307/#post-522748

[edit] i also only ran it in a practice session at Le Grand Circuit, which doesn't have any built-in rear flap zones, so it's possible it will work fine on tracks without zones. Not sure about tracks with zones. Probably not. [edit within edit]: works in all sessions at LGC :)

jayarrbee36 and Guimengo like this.
  19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

the wing mesh now flaps on command, in synch with physics!
    @davehenrie sweet dreams until release. thanks for the inspiration. It's cooler now :)

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Love Chaparral, thanks for the dedication in this project. Is there any way/ability to modify the front of the cars and headlights? Maybe the group @The-Garage can help? Getting the Chaparral with a better approximated front would be absolutely dreamy.

woochoo and davehenrie like this.