Flat-spotting: S397 please include option to disable this!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jan 23, 2017.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

flatspot effect sometimes is acting like TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    is this what happens on flatsopt tire in real life ?
    i fully understand the simulation thing but sometimes i dont feel like everything is broken cause i m sure the feeling might be different from cars to cheap plastic steering wheels like mine
    prove me wrong

2. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I’ve often seen in F1 if they flat spot the tyres badly the vibration is that bad there vision is blurred .

Not sure about Gt or tin top cars , I wonder if its as bad .

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  3. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

you don't feel the same effects on a open-weel or a GT, and a modern one as on an old one! you should have had a lot of effects!

Seven Smiles and mesfigas like this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Kimi Raikkonen suspension breaking due to a flat spot shows just how violent the effects of flat spotting a tyre can be

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

my biggest problem with flatspot is with open wheeler cars like formulas which are easy to loose control or something happened the tire wear is bad so the flatspot effect is killing my steering wheel feel
    ofcourse abs can help sometimes ,also be super carefull with tires is top priority in real life formula cars.

6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Youtube "Nürburgring 2005 Kimi Räikkönen Suspension Failure at last lap" to see what happens with flat spots.
    @patchedupdemon , sorry, missed your post !

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

What real F1 drivers have to cope is nothing compared to us poor simmers when a wife gets awaken at midnight by a noise from a logitech wheel due to a flatspotted tire.
    Try to explain RF2 simulation fidelity to her at that very moment.

8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

No explaining needed,you just give errr in doors a back hander to the cheek,tell her to quit it with the tear’s.
    She then moves to her mOthers for a few days and you get un interupted man time.

Ronnie likes this.
  9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

My man..

10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Now that is the first valid argument on this topic. I can see how a young guy with a second hand G25 with plastic gears and a new girlfriend who has just moved in could find the need to turn off FFB.
    ask the author of this what he would do?
    http://joyreactor.com/post/303357
    BUT....the ability to disable it in the JSON would amount to an exploit. If one guy turns it off we would all need to do it.

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

@davidporeilly That joke is as old as the hills (but still works! :D)
    Anyway, as an old simmer with a couple of ex-wives and GF for years, father of two over 30 year old kids, and lover of the impossible to understand female species, I just have to say that to me, this female violence humour is quite unsavoury.
    Love sim racing for many years, love women for much longer, living without either would make for a very poor and sad lifestyle.
    Just my POV.

2ndLastJedi, The Iron Wolf and pkelly like this.
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Instructions unclear, kicked dog.

bwana, ceecee and patchedupdemon like this.
  13. Skan

Skan Registered

If there were an option to turn flat spotting off, it would be useless for those driving online who do not like flat spots because the person running the server controls what is on or off. One could argue it would take away from the simulation part of simulation, thus making this more of a cross platform casual racer than a simulation. One could also argue that if one thing can be turned off, why not have them all able to be turned off...and somehow still be close to realistic.

If there were an option to turn the flat spots off for offline use the above applies but begs the question why not just use invulnerability? It is not like you are going to be looked at any differently for doing so. Ask your neighbors and co workers if they care if you use invulnerability. I bet they don't mind one bit.

This next part might not be accurate and could use an Official response...
    rF2 can control multiple motors for ffb. Using my wheel as an example, it has a little motor (maybe 2, have not looked) that vibrate aside from the steering motor. This is common in the cheaper wheels. My wheel cannot do exactly what rF2 allows a wheel to do so it uses what it has. If I had a separate oscillator (vibration maker) for each of rF2's rumble/shake ffb data and a direct drive wheel for the steering, it would all probably be closer to how it rF2 is intended to be experienced. All of this is from reading the controller json.

This part is for anyone else with the same wheel as I have... all 4 of you
    Years ago I adjusted a value one time and that made this momo never violently rattle. I do not fully remember what I adjusted so here is my controller json. Please do not waste your time with it unless we have the exact same wheel, no need to add frustration to your day. http://www.skansdream.com/rf2/momo/

14. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Yeah, the good old Momo, when my (and fellow simmer) pedals went we moved to a G27 (he is now on a G920).
    We had many years of pleasure, nice to hear it is still in use ;)

15. stonec

stonec Registered

IMO if you are not interested in realistic tire simulation, simply turn off the wear, which will turn off flatspotting as well.

It's not even an effect, since there are no canned effects in rF2. What you feel in the FFB are the true forces that act on the steering arm as a result of a rotating wheel with mass imbalance created by a flat spot. The wheel rotation and flatspots etc. are all based on a physical model of a real tire, that's the beauty of rF2.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It was realistically distruptive when I used consumer ffb wheels which was fine, distracting steering wheel vibration & shake is a great feature & incentive not to lock

On a servo system it’s injury inducing ( Bodnar v2 )
    This is why I think there should be a an allowance for it in a new ffb profile “servo systems” for users with powerful ffb systems to select

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You are surprised when a Sim-racer complains?? Wait til the new UI finally gets released and we are flooded with dozens of posts about how there is too much green(or any other color) in the background palette.

18. Daniel Surace

Daniel Surace Registered

ha ha this is true, i shouldn't be surprised after 20 years of this.

19. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Maybe they should add an extra option for tyre wear called "arcade racer".

Emery, David O'Reilly and bwana like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

we already have that, it's called (insert any other sim title we wish to demean here.)

SL1DE, Seven Smiles and bwana like this.