FFB and Track: after couple laps I felt more vibration on the wheel, any idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Sep 26, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, once again:
    1. flatspot and flatspot-behaviour is quasi a necessary result of the tyre-physics in rF2. As a tyre is made of tenthousands of independent nodes that are all calculated independently, the tyre behave all different on any part of the tyre.

2. If you are able to brake properly but rattling is just annoying you when it happens, then turn up damping in rF2 controller/FFB settings.

3. If you feel it is much too sensitive when braking:
    a) turn down sensitivity of brakes ------> controls
    b) turn down brake pressure of given car----->garage

4. If you don´t get how tyres, braking and thermodynamics as a whole works, then
    c) use ABS

P.s.: send hardware-config and settings if you have still problems.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Levelup1, TJones and John like this.
  2. nurogize

nurogize Registered

This problem occurs when I go off the circuit at Interlagos, including that "green mat" area of the first corner. I don't think hard braking is just to blame.

I'm willing to play the game with ABS, if it will better resolve fixing this annoying vibration; as that seems more rational than just turning tire wear off.

My main concern about this vibration is that it will decrease the life span of my steering wheel, due to the constantly "moving" parts.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@nurogize It sounds like you might just be experiencing harsh FFB because of the surface, in which case FFB smoothing would be your best remedy. You just have to find a balance between a quieter/gentler wheel and being able to feel good detail in the FFB. It doesn't sound related to tyre wear ('flatspotting') at all, at least based on what you've said.

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Your dfgt wheel is a very harsh wheel when it comes to vibrations,do as lazza said above.

I’m not bashing your wheel,cuz I have one still as my backup wheel and will never sell it,I love my dfgt

5. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT, and can't find the Steering torque filter of FFB smoothing adjustment anywhere.

I saved a custom controller mapping title dfgt_1.JSON, but it doesn't contain any of those 2 settings.

6. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Isn't there a ffb smoothing option in the control menu?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  7. Filip

Filip Registered

8. Trev Rich

Trev Rich Registered

I get that this is realism, and I think the flatspot feature is awesome.

BUT!!

Alot of us, if not most, when we are driving our sunday league races that we have practised hours and hours... are sat in our lounge or bedroom.
    Now when I flatspot a tyre, the vibrations go through the roof. Understandable. It's a sim...
    Now whilst this flatspot may or may not bother me... It does bother my neighbours downstairs (I live in a flat) and the mrs whos trying to watch telly in the same room!

All I can do is adjust the ffb smoothing which then of course gives me less information through the wheel making driving a little bit harder.

We have options to turn down all sorts of stuff, even turn off rules, damage etc...
    So if we have those options, why not an option to dumb down or turn off the rumble effect for flatspots?

Like I say, it's fair enough for the realism, but the fact is that those living around me mean that the flatspot effect isn't viable.

nurogize and mesfigas like this.
  9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

its annoying when you have to run so many laps and suddenly you have to fight flatspot
    i feel pity for any steering wheel when it comes to flatspot
    if i was to play with a league i dont know what i had to do to as solution
    in some cars if you loose control 2 or 3 times its over and the vibration makes game a bad experience

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Just put for tyres,like you would have to in rl,or like when you get damage and have to put to repair.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  11. Trev Rich

Trev Rich Registered

Not really a good work around when nobody else is pitting.
    Even if the flatspot effect wasn't so harsh would be a savior

mesfigas likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Trev Rich There was another thread more focused on this topic, not sure where it is now. The main point to take out of it is that flatspots aren't a separate effect that can be turned down. The feedback you get each moment is based on the track surface, through your tyres, through your geometry, into your steering column, and output to your wheel.

The flatspots aren't identified as flatspots, they're just organic wear that has accumulated in one place (because of a lockup or similar) and that causes the extra feedback. So the game doesn't have extra optional code for the flatspot. Your options are to turn off tyre wear, or reduce tyre wear (then individual lockups don't have as much effect, as the physical wear is reduced), or change your driving to reduce lockups, or reduce the FFB strength, or increase FFB smoothing.

*Oops, this might be that thread - I didn't recognise it :p

** I managed to kill one of my paragraphs when editing this post. I was just mentioning the 'oscillation' code/feature that was added a couple of years ago (weight imbalance caused by flatspotting), and that this again isn't just an FFB effect but a physical effect (therefore affecting car handling/performance) which also manifests in the FFB. So an 'extra feature' but not optional on the user side because removing it would actually change the physics - and obviously it's crucial that we all use the same physics.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    jayarrbee36 likes this.
  13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

yep depending the situation we found solutions
    i ll try low ABS
    not only lowers the chance to flatspot but also makes car goes into corner and better times

14. KittX

KittX Registered

I managed to flatspot a street tire as well - all you need is brand new brake pads, a heavy car, and a semi truck on the crossroad ignoring the red light.
    Shiet said you feel it with car, but really it depends on what you lock up - front or rear. I locked up fronts, and while yeah, i felt that by my feet too, but steering wheel was shaking and wobbling. That's on a very "floaty" car with soft suspension. Also the tire whined like some offroad tire at some speed.