Mechanic Failures

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by André Gazzi, Jul 14, 2018.

1. André Gazzi

André Gazzi Registered

I play most of time offlinen F1 1988 carrera. I havean issue regarding mechanic failures. Even setting mechanic failures ON, I've never had any mechanic failure during race, but all other AI cars have random failures(aprox. 25% of the grid dont finish the races, which is aprox. The real life)...is this normal? Is there a way to set for me a random chance of having a machanic problem?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There aren't random failures as such, you can damage and break your engine and brakes if you don't look after them (overrevving or overheating the engine, not enough brake cooling for the track), this can vary from mod to mod. You can get an idea of brake wear by checking the disc thickness in the garage after doing some laps, the brake failure point (thickness) is mod-dependent and usually slightly random. Engine wear you can't see, the failure point is mod-dependent, and is often also slightly random.

If you damage your car enough that you can't continue (suspension or similar) the game will show your 'mode of failure' as that part usually, after you've quit the race.

We're sort of in between the old "random chance of a failure" and "different components get worn and fail", as many of those detailed components don't exist separately in the game.

You've posted in the modding section, so if you're inclined to pull the mod apart and create your own for offline use you could check the engine and brake parameters and increase the random element of the damage/failure parameters, to better reflect just getting unlucky sometimes.

André Gazzi likes this.
  3. André Gazzi

André Gazzi Registered

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I am new here. Where is the right place to post/discuss this kind of things?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know that you'd get any answers that would help you, because you can't add in more random failures. To change that sort of thing would require making 'your own mod', which could be based on those cars (you're playing offline so you don't have to worry about keeping compatibility or trying to release your own version of another person's mod [don't do that, by the way lol]). But as far as random failures you are limited to engine and brakes either way.

I guess one other point to consider is how hard you're pushing the cars - if you were playing against 90% AI you might be taking it easier on the car and still keeping up, whereas 100 or 110% might force you to rev harder and run brakes and engine hotter, increasing your own risk of failure. But I'm not familiar with the mod, and lots of people don't want random failures that aren't their fault, so it's possible that still wouldn't give you what you want.

5. André Gazzi

André Gazzi Registered

Thanks for the answer. I ask because I think the game gets more realistic and "fair" if i get the same chances of having mechanical problemas as other cars in the grid. During the season all cars have problems eventualy except mine...

6. Emery

Emery Registered

When it comes to engine failures, the AI might be revving higher than you do, thus increasing wear on the engine & leading to a failure. The AI shift point is in the HDV file of the mod.

7. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

You can also assign the AI to use a specific setup but you have to extract the tracks .MAS files to see what to name it.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

No, you can use the 'fixed setup' feature.
    Go to this site http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/ and scroll to the bottom of the site.
    There you'll find a tutorial about how to do it.

9. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

You can also set the AI setup to something other than fixed setup if you extract the name of the setup file from the .MAS file, but it would be great if track builders and editors would let people know that setup name when they make tracks available. It would be great to get a readme file with the GDB data in to show everyone how the settings for a track are set so you can use them easier like the AI setup feature, as you may wish to do a run against the AI but not allow them to use your setup ;) .

But thanks for posting the link to the other info for fixed setups.