Move or change seat position left to right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nurogize, Jul 13, 2018.

1. nurogize

nurogize Registered

I don't see the button mapping in the Control → Seat, menu.

I'd like the steering wheel to be moved to the right side of the monitor, so I can have a better view of the side view mirror.

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

There is no move seat left or right because just like in that overrated place called "real life", which coincidentally a sim tries as much as possible to simulate ;), the seat is centred with the steering column / wheel.
    You will have to adjust the seat fore and aft plus tweak the FOV.

If you still can't see enough of the mirror there is always the look left and right controls.
    You can fine tune look left and right in the player.JSON, found here :\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player (Open it with Notepad)
    First, make a backup of the player.JSON, just copy and paste it somewhere like the desktop.
    Find these lines:
    "Glance Angle":0.75,
    "Glance Angle#":"Angle to look left\/right (yaw) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
    "Glance Rate":7,
    "Glance Rate#":"Rate to follow controller for glancing",
    The bigger the angle number, the further you will look in each direction.
    The bigger the rate, the faster you will look in each direction.
    Don't forget to save the file after any changes you make.

nurogize likes this.
  3. Kobradelta1000

Kobradelta1000 Registered

There is a bunch of street- race and whatever cars who have not your so called ..."real life simulation of a seat centered steering column"

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Which cars?

5. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

What kind of question is this?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The monitor doesn't have to be directly in front of you, so the OP can (if he chooses) have the wheel to one side of the monitor but directly in front of him. Some people race sims with a screen that isn't directly in front of them either, so I don't see it as a major issue (certainly not something anyone else should feel a need to judge).

7. Louis

Louis Registered

images (96).jpg Like Assetto Corsa?

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

o_O
    I read the OP as wanting to move the in-game drivers seat closer to the door mirror so he can see the mirror
    Nothing about where his monitor is in relation to him or his Logitech DFGT.
    Now I can't ever remember seeing a race car where the driver isn't sitting with the steering wheel directly in front of him.
    That is why I said there is no "move seat left /right" in rF2.

I asked Kobradelta which cars he is talking about that "have not your so called ..."real life simulation of a seat centered steering column"

That picture just shows, to me, a normal driving position with a steering wheel in it's proper place in relation to the dash.

Nitrometh likes this.
  9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I also would like to know which cars, but only if they are real and not 'simulated' cars.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

None of us are really moving the seat anyway, we're just moving the camera. If someone wants to see a bit more to the left or right, what's wrong with that? If they do that and then move their screen so the virtual wheel is lined up with them (and their physical wheel), cool, if not, cool.. right? What's it matter?

Whether a real car has this is basically irrelevant. This is a game, being shown on screens, and sometimes you need to cater for that. Otherwise we should all be forced to use true FOV and have VR or triples (at least), otherwise it's not realistic.

David Kolody likes this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I never said he can't move whatever wherever.
    I was just giving my thoughts on why there is no "seat left / right" controls.
    At least I gave him some options with the look left / right and the fine tuning of them, not just nit picking.
    If you know how to move the camera left or right then tell him how! :rolleyes:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA you said "I read the OP as wanting to move the in-game drivers seat closer to the door mirror so he can see the mirror" - that's exactly what the OP wants to do. Your informative and helpful (sincerely; I'm not BSing here) reply also included what appeared to be a suggestion that moving the virtual seat wasn't warranted because it wasn't realistic. ebeninca's post is I think indicative of that position.

Louis' picture is showing the AC seat movement controls, not an off-centre position. So that's why there's nothing unusual there.

As for Kobradelta1000's post, it's true that at least some passenger cars have the steering wheel not quite lined up with the seat. Something about legality regarding arm clearance with armrests etc. But that's not the OPs point either, which is why I think it's irrelevant.

13. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

There are plenty of vintage cars where the seat and steering wheel are offset.

I didn’t know until I went to a hill climb event last weekend,I was gobsmacked walking around the cars thinking,how the hell is that comfortable lol.

Sadly I can’t remember the makes or models of the cars,but they were old formula style cars.

I don’t know if any modern cars apart from my Mrs Audi A4 tfsi,the seat and the steering wheel and the pedal aren’t inline,it aches my back and hips on long motorway journey.

Can’t wait till I get my bmw e46 330ci

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From a quick google it seems probably half modern Mercedes and some BMWs are the same. It's probably more common than we realise. And I was wrong to mention 'legality', I think it's just done from a practicality standpoint (either in terms of having some clearance to use the wheel, or the behind-the-wheel engineering).

*And just to readdress the OT - ADSTA has given some good tips on adjusting the view and using the look functions, I've also PMed the OP with some advice.