Updating trackmap to dx11 [dev response be greatly appreciated]

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by hardtohandle, Apr 20, 2018.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

It's cool. At the end of the day I have looked at all the options that have been kindly suggested already.

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Discord:
    "Marrs-Today at 11:38 AM:

I would prefer fullscreen over borderless or windowed"

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Crewchief is a good alternative. You don't get all the visuals but it's been better for me personally as I don't get distracted. Just have a voice telling me what's going on.

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

No its not, its a different kind of thing all together!

Anyway this is an old thread, trackmap and other great plugins are not going to get ported easily to dx11 for technical reasons, that's it. Best just to forget about it.

5. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

I was experimenting a bit, thinking of bringing some of RacePad's features (http://www.tyka.net/racepad) to Windows, macOS and maybe Android.

I added a very basic trackmap to rFactor2:

trackmap1.png

trackmap2.png

To see it in action: http://www.tyka.net/downloads/trackmap.mp4

Never mind the colours or other visuals, it's still missing most of those features at this point, it's just a proof of concept :). Also please excuse the video quality, I quickly filmed it on my phone and resized it.

The downside is that you have to run rF in windowed/borderless mode. It's a trade-off I suppose, windowed mode and trackmap, or full screen and no trackmap.

Justifier and Louis like this.
  6. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Good job !

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

a lot of ppl used to stay on DX9 rf 2 version only because of tracκ map plugin
    its time for s397 to help things so we gonna have again this plugin
    a lot of ppl missed it
    ability to customize everything and have all the info you wanna have
    S397 try give some help for this
    include this kind of help to the future "To do List",

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They got the code and are trying. But the way DX11 works is preventing that.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think that's strictly true (unless you've been told otherwise directly?). They certainly haven't provided the same drawing framework for dx11 plugins via the plugin interface, but converting trackmap to work as part of the game wouldn't rely on that anyway.

However, doing all the code to do that, and then later moving to the new UI and HUD system (coming, soon, for the last 12-18 months) would be a massive waste of time, and further delay the new UI because they would no doubt need to modify some of the existing HUD code to allow for what trackmap does. Hopefully what they are doing is working on the new UI and HUD systems, and making a new plugin framework as part of that so the community can again fill any holes - but using the new, probably less error-prone, framework.

10. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

If there's a new UI/HUD system coming where we can add the trackmap (and other info) relatively easily on screen, all the better. As mentioned, there's no timeline provided, but there are a few alternatives in the meantime.

Just wanted to poll the general interest, and wondering what everyone's preferred option is...

The first is to display the map on the screen. I did a quick experiment (see a few posts above) where the trackmap is overlayed on top of the game. The downside is that you have to run rFactor in borderless/windowed mode. I can improve my proof of concept a bit and release it for others to try it.

The second is using an external device. I already made RacePad for iOS devices, which contains a trackmap. I can also make an application to have the trackmap appear on a separate machine (running either Windows / macOS / linux). It wouldn't be a huge effort, so if people have a laptop or second PC/screen on hand, that's an option as well.

Android on the other hand is trickier. I don't really have the time/will to invest in it, but I can always check if a very basic app is feasible.

Justifier likes this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I prefer my trackmap only on the loading screen.
    I'll probably upset people if I say anything else on the subject.

I only offered help with a different way to start a race without seeing start lights, that thread went to the dogs quickly. :oops:

Steve Olden likes this.
  12. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Been having some fun for the start lights actually. One of the more obscure but (in my opinion) great features of RacePad is the start light countdown.

The start lights normally have this "random" variation of when they go out. However, the game already knows it (obviously), and it's very easy to calculate this from the plugin data. With this feature you can anticipate when the lights go out, save some precious reaction time and hopefully gain a position or two :)

I quickly ported it from RacePad to PC. Again, don't mind the graphics and the filmed screen - I really need to install some screen recording software :p - it's just to rapidly experiment and show off the feature.

http://www.tyka.net/downloads/start720.mp4

I might cram in a few more of the RacePad features and see if I can release a more sophisticated version at some point.

Justifier, Badboy and ceecee like this.