Gamma Adjustment? VR is too muddy looking

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by pedrodfa, Jun 27, 2018.

1. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

Hello all.
    I have been wanting to address this issue for a long time, but it is now clear enough for me to try to explain it.
    Probably a lot of you VR users play rf2 with an oculus rift and you have certainly noticed that comparing the steamVR implementation of rf2 with the native oculus runtime implementations of for ex. assetto corsa or project cars 2, that the overall contrast and clarity of the image is not as good.
    I notice that the blacks very rarely are really black and the overall contrast suffers a lot from it. For example looking inside the car in a track at night with the lights turned off and no other lights from the track, the car is just dark grey and it definitely should be black as are some small parts if you pay attention. This is hard to explain, as the screenshots don't show it, but it seems like an incorrect gamma adjustment.
    I have never tried rf2 in a htc vive to compare and im afraid steam VR optimizes contrast/gamma for the vive and not for the rift. Because with the other sim that uses steam VR implementation - Richard Burns Rally - the same thing happens - blacks are not as they are when it is a native Oculus implementation.
    Am I the only one having this muddy feeling with VR on an oculus?
    Also the maximum light values are sometimes pretty weak. It just seems all cars have very weak headlights.
    Overall, I think the step forward would be to have an Oculus native implementation, because I think theres many more rift users than Vive ones. To have both openVR and oculus implementations would be the best.
    At least if there would be any gamma adjustments slider inside rf2 or something like that it would help.
    Rfactor 2 deserves a much better VR experience to be honest.

Rfactor2:
    [​IMG]
    Project Cars 2:
    [​IMG]

Apart from the intensity of the headlights, notice the difference in the black levels .
    rf2 using the corvette gt2 and pc2 ferrari gte.

Thanks for your time reading this, hope some of the developers see this and try to make it better.
    This is not something so complicated, its just basic color levels which sometimes change the whole experience, especially in VR.

Pedro

JimmyT likes this.
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

rF2 may look "muddy" but check the clarity in comparison to pC2 ! You cant even read the dash where rF2 is clear .

3. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

Thats because I had to take the "screenshot" in PC2 in the internal gameĀ“s photo mode which blurs certain parts of the image (imitates a low depth of field like in real photography) - thats why it has poor clarity, but thats not the point. I think its pretty obvious that all other sims or simcades (like pc2) have a much clear picture in VR than rf2. Apart from how developed the graphics engine is, just visually, the colors/contrast/black levels, they are much worse in rf2.
    Theres actually another thread in this forums about how difficult it is to drive when in overcast wheather at certain points in the day, in VR.
    Anyway, this thread is for people who actually experienced rfactor2 in a rift, and not just for the monitor user. Because for those other cases I know nothing about, I just started driving in rf2 when they implemented VR.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I play all Sims solely with the Rift and find rF2 to have an overall cleaner picture than the others !
    Sure colours may be not so vibrant but there is no shimmer and flickering textures or jaggies like in pC2 ! VR really makes rF2 look better than them because of these reasons ! If performance was better i could run more PP and then im sure the overall colour would start to get closer to the others !
    But i do see the overall colour palate in rF2 needs some work !

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That shot of PC2 shows almost all clipped blacks, we don't want that really.

6. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

I understand but the thing is in the headset itself it feels much more correct. Try to go at night in rfactor 2 with no headlights in a part of the track that has no surrounding light sources and tell me if you see any black or just a grey value. This in the rift of course.

7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I hear what you're saying, it's not that it's better or worse than other titles, just that it'd be good to have the gamma adjustment to suit your personal taste. :)
    +1

8. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

would be good to have those adjustments yes. Even though theres some fundamentally wrong dark/light values in VR (rift).
    those headlights are way too weak. Seems the roads in rfactor are always much darker and dull than in other sims making it harder to have a more clear vision.

9. pedrodfa

pedrodfa Registered

I will leave another comparison between a new night mod for assetto corsa (with headlights mod aswell) and rfactor 2.
    I dont think this is so subjective. Its just too dim.
    AC:
    [​IMG]
    Comparison:
    [​IMG]

10. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Good comparison , but I think rf2 looks better imo , but it would be nice to have native oculus support.

2ndLastJedi and David Kolody like this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

VR is more about personal taste than a monitor, personally looking at those shots I don't see a great deal of difference just the headlights colour really. As you've already alluded too with the Oculus you can't change the gamma/contrast (there once was a hack that apparently doesn't work any more), so it's more of a hardware issue than anything S397 can do. Also not forgetting that AC and RF2 are using completely different graphical engines, with AC that is a mod hack for Night compared to RF2s Dynamic Lighting System for example.

12. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I noticed it as well. It looks nice how it is now, but sometimes it's a bit too dim. Headlights should be a brighter, not just in vr.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

+1

Narrowbackwing likes this.