Which VR Do you use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JimmyT, Jun 23, 2018.

?

Which VR Headset do you use

Poll closed Jul 12, 2018.
  1. Vive

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Oculus

63 vote(s)
    80.8%
  3. Other

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Depco

Depco Registered

VR adoption is still relatively low compared to flat screen usage. The key here is price. If you look at when monitors went from CRT to Flat panel the original adoption rate was low due to the high cost of the flat panels. Now you cant find a CRT monitor unless it is sitting on the side of the road. As prices fell adoption rate increased. This is what we are waiting on for VR. Good, high quality VR is expensive. Cardboard and its plastic brethren are cheap if you have a phone to run them but dont offer the same experience as the big VR HMDs (Vive, Rift, WMR). The big HMDs cost a lot more and require a beefy machine (Which most avid PC gamers should already have) Rift sells more due to being less costly than the Vive, hence the significantly higher numbers in the pole.

Korva7 and JimmyT like this.
  2. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

There is a huge cost difference between VR and a large triple screen setup. For example a triple 35" ultra-wide would cost around AUD 3,600 plus a triple monitor stand at say AUD 1,000, plus other fiddly bits to attach large monitors to the stand. So that is approaching AUD 5,000, or say USD 3,500. The triple monitor stand for above is also 80 inches (203cms) wide so it takes a lot of physical real estate.

Conversely the Oculus Rift is USD 449, plus a single smaller monitor.

I run both Triples and Oculus Rift and personally I prefer triple monitors as for me the VR technology isn't good enough yet. But VR wins in terms of bang for buck or if physical rig size is an issue.

vegaguy5555 and JimmyT like this.
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I agree that the uptake is low compared to single monitors (as per the poll MarcG referred to further back) but I think it will only get better like flat panel vs CRT.
    I figured it was the price difference, maybe the built in headphones tipped the scales for me. ;) My flat panel cost me around $300 AU so the VR at $575 AU wasn't too bad. (the cost of 2 more flat panels/the other option at the time)
    Before the poll I thought maybe the Vive would outnumber the Oculus so I was mildly surprised :eek: by the numbers so far. :p

4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yes and you could spend the difference on the PC :)

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes, my choice is single screen or VR, I don't have room for triples.

Another big plus is binocular vision. VR is far from perfect yet but in not too far into the future no-one will have triple screens.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

There is also a huge pixel density difference between VR and a large triple screen setup. They are NOT equivalent when it comes to image quality. Your comparison is like running 720p vs. 4k on the same large screen (which you allude to, but isn't clarified for most people).

Louis likes this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, this is the weak poit of the VR today, but from my point of view, the inmersion compensates this.

8. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

With 3 screens you think you are in the car...
    With VR you are in the car and you feel like you should be able to operate all the switches.
    I soon forgot how bad the graphics look & now I don't even care. I will buy a next gen headset when one worth buying comes out.

The Iron Wolf, Ernie, bluet and 2 others like this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I don't understand.

11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I do enjoy my triples when I set them up but they just take up so much space.

JimmyT likes this.
  12. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Im about to buy an Oculus Rift mainly because of the immersion the 3D effect does produce.
    I did choose the Rift partly because of the price and partly because of GamerMuscles latest compare against the Vive aimed specific on VR for racing sims.
    A few days before that I was ready to bleed my money on the new Vive Pro.
    But realised that the sensors and controllers are NOT included for the high price.:rolleyes:
    And what is worse is that to run the Pro then even a 1070 is in the low (probably unsatisfying) end.
    And the rest of an adequate PC is way above my daily workhorse (Xeon X5670/1060).
    Hehe and another showstopper is that I dont want to obey all the Win10 telemetry nonsense - and Win10 is a prerequisite for the Pro.:mad:

So Im about to order a Rift - and check out a possible correlation (or non-c..) between resolution and immersion - and 3D ;)

13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Well I hope that this thread helped with your decision even in some small way :) and I hope you enjoy the VR experience.

Emery and GrimDad like this.
  14. Jebstone

Jebstone Registered

the resolution issues quickly fade away when a full 3rd world surrounds you and depth perception can actually play a part in your gameplay. Even with the current resolutions of HMD sets, a proper headset fitting, lens adjustment and Supersampling/AA setting (if your PC can handle it) still provide quite a crisp image that is more than playable.

15. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I would like to thank everyone who answered the poll and left a comment, the result is not what I expected. I really thought there would be more Vives out there.
    I am happy that the Oculus seems to be most popular, as that is the one I bought :p, but I am surprised :eek:
    Anyway Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity. Enjoy your chosen VR :)

16. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I'm using the Rift as well.

Reasons are:
    - It's got better motion controllers (not relevant for sim racing)
    - It's got a little higher pixel density (slighly lower FoV than Vive)
    - It's got very good working frame interpolation between 45 and 90 fps (Asynchronous Space Warp)
    - It's relatively comfortable four up to two hour racing sessions
    - It's cheaper than a Vive

Things the Vive does better in my opinion:
    - Slightly higher field of View
    - Slightly better contrast/brightness
    - Maybe a slightly larger playing area? Can't test it here because my playing area is relatively small.

I hope Oculus will announce a new pc headset soon. The Rift is nice, but when the new Nvidia gpu generation comes i'd like to have something with higher resolution and better contrast/brightness. Vive Pro might be nice, but in my opinion it's waaaay too overpriced.

17. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Odyssey user here.

Initially, I purchased the Rift, but found it lacking in clarity and found the low pixel density tiring on my eyes. I couldn't drive for more than 20 minutes without needing a rest and eventually sold it. On a whim, I purchased an Odyssey ($400), hearing of it's greater pixel count and the greater clarity solved my eye issue... now I can drive for 90 mins without tired eyes. I'm bloody hot though!

However, yes the Odyssey has 70% more pixels that a Rift, but it comes at a great cost; GPU load. My 1080 seems to struggle with even mediumish settings and therefore I have to turn quite a few of the graphical niceties off.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  18. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

20 minutes is my limit as well. Its a struggle to do a lap on the Targa Florio. But I'm also finding the Rift uncomfortable on my face as well. Is the Odyssey more comfortable to wear?

19. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I believe the Odyssey is about 50% heavier than the Rift, but it spreads this on top of your head like a heavy hat, instead of being strapped to your face. Personally, I found it more comfortable than the Rift. However, the additional weight does mean that glancing left/right does takes more effort.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Is that the full FOV on the screen as seen in VR? I thought at first VR would be close to 180 degrees, lol. Like full peripheral vision.