[WIP] Queensland Raceways Track Pack

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mike Cantwell, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Lakeside is coming along...all a bit slow due to having to rebuild so much infield. The up side will be a very basic version release much like QR soon.

It is a hoot to drive. Once I have done the tunnel I will do the Beta 0.01. The real track has had many upgrades and changes in the last year....typical Lakeside lol. Ever changing. I am going to the track soon to take some pics to catch up on those changes.

Changes so far from the RF1 version are correct placement of the buildings and pit garages to within 1 meter, new roads around the Lakeside Museum and tunnel...what a pain in the A that has been. Smoothing the two areas of the track that were very lumpy in the RF1 version. Eastern loop end of the circuit increased in length by about 4 meters due to me stuffing up with the original topographic surveyor map.

I have found some companies here in Brisbane that have Lidar data for the area accurate to within 5 cm.....I am trying to get that data for the terrain. That will be later but the track is pretty darn good.

Historic 1960s version will be done as well after the current version. That will be quite easy as there was not a lot around the track in the 1960s :)

wip34.JPG

Shawn, TwoHardCore, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was there on Sunday and to be honest, as a spectator and shocking photographer, I wasn't impressed.
    The health and safety desk jockey killjoys (those who know me will laugh at that) have reinforced the sad fact that everything these days is designed and legislated to protect the 0.000001% of the population that could hurt themselves with a cotton wool ball and then expect compensation.
    So in other words Mike, the true Lakeside has a foot bridge but doesn't have 6 foot high safety fences bolted on top of the existing barriers/armco.

Grumpy bugga has had his rant. :confused:

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I take my oldest Son there all the time , i am always surprised how close to the track when standing in the pits , He has stuck his dopey head over the guardrail as some cars zoomed by :eek: .
    I love that i have a track just up the road , just wish V8SC's were still going there :rolleyes: but their too loud o_O

Mike Cantwell likes this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Race car = loud = universal law.
    People buy house near racetrack then complain about noise = want cotton wool balls banned = the 0.000001%ers.

Just remember the famous quote from Don: "Is Loud, Is Good!"

2ndLastJedi and Mike Cantwell like this.
  5. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

You have a valid point.......I am thinking to keep it how I like it rather than endless 6 monthly changes that are occurring there now. The bridge was not replaced because of the cost, about $150k. The current high fences make it hard to get decent photos of races in parts of the track. Having seen some recent videos, I do not like what it looks like now...to sanitized with tyre barriers everywhere and so on. So it probably will get a bridge with Dunlop on it and the original armco barriers rather than the high fences.

2ndLastJedi and ADSTA like this.
  6. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

2ndLastJedi and ADSTA like this.
  7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Thanks for sharing that Mike.
    I might go get the shots off the camera I took on Sunday and see if any are good for a comparison.
    I expect to sit there like a robot, delete,delete,delete,delete..............:oops:

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Man , i haven't been for about two months ! It hopefully hasn't changed since then ?

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

"When you play test cricket, you don't give the Englishmen an inch. Play it tough, all the way. Grind them into the dust."
    Don Bradman

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm standing on the back of my ute. :(
    cropIMG_3950.jpg
    resizeIMG_3955.jpg

At least they've left the inside of Hungrys untouched, left side bottom pic.

Corti, Mike Cantwell and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  11. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

I forgot I had this.........need to do an updated version :)

Corti and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Wow , how awesome , especially having Dick's commentary , lol (imaging him at your place doing laps of rF1 ,lol ) .
    Are you going to do that VK /VL pack you mentioned in the comments ? (I know I'm Dreaming :p

13. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

I bought this model...cost heaps but pretty good.

No idea how to get a car in game....but there are those that do.....this has to be part of Lakeside.

17.JPG

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Have you seen this Video ?

15. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Yep...I was there. Got heaps of photos...

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  16. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hey everyone...

A lot of progress today on Lakeside. The inner track area is so hard to get right......but piece by piece and poly by poly....

As soon as I am happy with the inner part I will release a "bare arse" version as a Beta 0.01. Not too far away chaps!

wip35.JPG

17. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Track is progressing...it looks bad here but actually is coming along quite well. Not cm perfect but pretty good.

Once I am happy with the basics, I will release as soon as I can.

I have rebuilt from scratch much of the center part of the track, the access tunnel is done and positioned correctly. The textures are place markers and I will update those when I am happy with the mesh.

I have decided to go with the version of Lakeside I like the most, that being from about 2012 before the new safety barriers and tyre barriers that are there now. It makes the track look cluttered. In real life the bridge is removed....I will have the old Dunlop bridge.

The well know touring car drivers joked about the bridge and the Dunlop logo.......D was for Die ( It was far left and if your car was under the D you are in the fence...hard.

L was for Live, and that was under the bridge and a good line...:)

wip36.JPG dunlop.JPG

18. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

When Lakeside bites......

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Around the 38 second mark.
    The top 3 drivers from Team Moron. :eek:

20. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

90% done on the infield with huge part totally rebuilt from scratch, including the tunnel entrances.

The textures are a mess due to the work but over the next few days I hope to get the textures done to where it looks OK. Pretty happy with how it is working....

wip37.jpg wip38.jpg wip39.jpg wip40.jpg wip41.jpg wip42.jpg wip43.jpg

makan, bravotangosix, pascom and 10 others like this.