I can't see any gMotor material in 3DS Max 2012

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Kniker97, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Kniker97

Kniker97 Registered

I'm fighting with those plugins, them seems to be correctly loaded on 3DSMax 2012 startup, shader mas folder location correctly set up, material is Multi/Sub-Object and then gMat selected, select T1 shader to try, texture loaded up but I can't see anything, I don't know how I can solve this problem. I tried both x86 and x64 version on 3DSMax with respective plugins version, but nothing changes. 2 years ago I have used the 3DSMax 2010 plugin version with the respective version of 3DSMax and all worked correctly.
    If it could be useful, there are my PC specs: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.0GHz, 16GB DDR3-2400MHz, AMD RX 480 8GB and Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
    2 years ago PC specs: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3-1333MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti and Windows 7 64bit (until mid 2016), Windows 10 Pro 64bit (after mid 2016 and the plugin worked too) Senzanome35345.jpg

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You don't see the Texture, is it that what you mean?
    When you select the first texture, activate the marked button, to see that texture loaded in the viewport.

Senzanome35345.jpg

3. Kniker97

Kniker97 Registered

I tried many times but nothing changes..

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Silly questions
    the material is a signed to the object?
    Are the faces fliped?

5. Kniker97

Kniker97 Registered

Yes as you can see there is a black track split in the background, like the material in material editor, in left up corner you can see a standard 3ds material correctly showed on the kerb

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe this.
    If you have more than 1 submaterial, select the mash and select 'material' in the modifier dropdown and then assign the correct id number of the road material to the mesh.

7. Kniker97

Kniker97 Registered

It's not a material assignment issue, it's more like the shaders doesn't work properly...

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Couple of things to check. Most important is that your Texture Stages are linking to existent maps and folders (otherwise they will cache nothing), and then be sure your diffuse stage of each material (or whatever stage you want to render in the viewport), has the "Show Shaded Material In Viewport" button activated;

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

9. Kniker97

Kniker97 Registered

Problem solved… without touch anything lol

10. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

For the benefit of others who may encounter the same issue, How did you solve it ?

11. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I have the same problem, some solution? It is horrible, I have to work blindly and guiding myself with the 3dsimed ... when I had 3ds max 2010 there was no problem ..

12. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Tuttle is correct.

I have faced this "texture is not showing" issue (happens very, very rarely btw...), when I dig up some old project from backup drives, copy it back to Locations and open track's scene file. Even if folder structure, drive letter etc. is exactly same than before, max cannot find textures.

This is related to 3ds max way to cache things. My workaround is that I simply re-select some material's texture from tracks maps folder again in material editor, even if it points originally to correct folder and file. After that textures are shown in viewport again.

This of course applies if all other things are setup correctly. In your first picture "show map on viewport" button was not activated (Tuttle's #2 pointer).

Tuttle likes this.
  13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yep, and it will never work that way in that shot he posted, as he is trying to activate at Submat level, while he needs to do that at Stage Level. You can only render a stage per Submat (Diffuse, Specular, Normal etc..), not at Submat root.

So the sequence is;
    • Select Multimat (mat ball)
    • Select Submat (gMat)
    • Select Stage (diff, spec, norm, ao, etc)
    • Click on "Show Shaded Material in Vieweport" icon, as the shot I posted.
    • If does not show up, click on the texture stage, and point to an existing folder, that does host the texture you want to preview.
    • If the folder does exist, and file it's there, you can click Reload.

14. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

Thanks for that. Ive found that when you upgrade the computer, this issue can happen, usually because the user index has change slightly. So the work around is to go to the "Customize" - "Configure User Path" - "External Files" and delete the displayed files that it is attempting to select. Sometimes the folder you are looking for is not listed here. Either way, then select "Add" and browse to where you want the new folders, with the maps and select "OK". If it is still stubborn in displaying the texture, then you may have to also try the above sequence that Tuttle posted :)

15. elec86

elec86 Registered

personally I have some that I want to place a library my icon is black and my objet too (see pic)
    default materials work
    [​IMG]
    What is going on?

16. redapg

redapg Registered

When you select the first Texture for the Shader, in the same Screen where you select it, do you click/activate the Button that is marked with the red Circle?
    That activates that the Texture is shown in the Viewport
    1618603362edit.jpg

17. elec86

elec86 Registered

yes i activate this button

18. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, then you have to better explain what the Problem is.
    In your Post #15 you say that the "Icon" is black and the Object too, but you don't show the Texture that you are using.
    If it's a black one, everything is OK.
    And in your Post #16, with the Screenshot, we can see that the Button is not activated, while you say it is activated.
    You know what i mean?
    You can get Help only with offering proper and useful Information.

19. elec86

elec86 Registered

i try button actived and not actived
    i used s397 library texture albedo (see picture)
    [​IMG]

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you try it with another Texture?
    _Deftex_Alb_BC7.dds is no "normal" DDS File and maybe 3DSMax 2012 can not handle it.