Released NEW! Endurance Pack - Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Imagine if the word got out in simracing that real racing drivers don't overdownshift before corners and then upshift again before the apex.
    Then their simracing imitators would lose their sensation of being there in their shining new Porsche.
    Shhhhh be very quiet.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, hang on, back up a step.

Downshift protection stops you downshifting too early; that means it stops you using excessive engine braking, the behaviour described in that post.

Right? Do we all agree on this?

3. Christos Segkounas

I don't know, does it?
    DP protects the engine from overreving leading to blow ups.
    Overdownshifting before a corner as well as using high revs when engine braking may or may not be affected by DP depending on how it is implemented as well as how the technique is executed, and type of corner vs gearing etc.
    DP is what the name implies, to protect the engine from blow ups, out in the real world.
    Blow ups also happen in sim racing not when engine braking but when downshifting far too early, chosen gearing speed being well below actual speed which also leads to a lock up.
    Engine braking and overdownshifting when done as it should does not involve lock ups.
    Do you happen to know that implementing this feature would put an end to excessive engine braking and downshifting to a low gear than actually used to exit the corner?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, downshift protection stops you shifting down if your revs are too high to shift down. That's what we're talking about.

Now I understand the confusion.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It seems that you are not reading my posts. Just a lot of assumption based on reading every 5 odd words.
    I don't want to protect other people's engines. Quite the contrary. I want them to blow up their engines but since very often it is not the case due to modders or developers themselves not going crazy on chances of blowing up your engine due to excessive use of rapid downshifts. DSP is meant to stop them from using that exploit of having much more powerful braking capability with little risk of being punished for that. In races it is lesser of an issue because even more stubborn to blow up mods sooner or later can blow up. Problem is in qualifying when you can throw all your eggs into one basket and wreck the car using every single exploit that you can to get the ultimate laptime. In real life you can't do it. Not because it would be very expensive to replace your engine, transmission and other components after 1 qualifying but because there are systems installed that prevent from overabusing the car even intentionally which results in driver trying to ride correctly, properly to get the laptime.

I will wait for you to read it and once again say that I just pity those poor guys with big bills for their engines. ;)

stonec, Andregee and Daniele Vidimari like this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

downshift protection ruins engineers life by stealing a huge part of their work from people who enjoy killing their engines
    what these guys going to end up? thieves ?
    ha i m psyched now

7. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I have the same with my T300, I use 1.20 with the GTEs to feel similar FFB

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Me too. ;)
    [​IMG]

mesfigas likes this.
  9. oppolo

oppolo Registered

Is there a feature in this forum for putting in ignore list posts with a certain word? For example "downshift", "shift down"...:confused:

bwana, ADSTA, Nitrometh and 4 others like this.
  10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yes. It's called being Google/Youtube. ;)

TassyDevil likes this.
  11. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I agree fully with this.
    But I have some really bad experience from iRacing.
    Some years back when they introduced the same kind of socalled downshift protection the iRacing dev responsible for this was so proud that he persuaded the rest of the iRacing staff to include this in all cars.
    So from that time the good old Lotus 79 and Nissan GTP got it too - and became quite (historically) unrealistic to drive :mad:
    Because before you had to manually sync the gears when shifting down if you didnt want to spoil the gearbox - while after this fool got it introduced in all cars it just became impossible to get it into gear if you didnt wait enough.
    Thats the reason Im pro this but only if it only is introduced in cars that has/had it in RL!:cool:

McKiernan, lagg and Ronnie like this.
  12. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

yeah, or people greatly reducing the steering range in order to have much faster steering than in real life. At least I heard some people do that, as it felt closer to karting or something.....

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Fully agree.

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Not to mention the Radical SR8 which needs an annoying sync with throttle to let you downshift

16. Christos Segkounas

Arghh I do it because I go faster the faster the steering.
    Let's just pretend I called up my engineer in the middle of the night and told him to readjust the steering ratio in the car to something outside spec.
    Sort of like what Williams did for Ayrton at Imola.
    Oh wait...

17. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Different players play for different reasons and some just have to win at the "Game" - no matter what. It's one of the reasons I don't play online any more. No matter how good one's driving skills may be, a proficient "gamer" can easily beat the best driver.

Categorically speaking, there are people that play for immersion, some prefer competition and others just game the system as another type of competition. We can find the same things happening in life and politics every day. :)

David Kolody likes this.
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

So you are basically saying that those that beat you are gamers and yours is the only way to drive. Beating predictable AI proves you as a better driver. Splendid argument indeed.

Will Mazeo likes this.
  19. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I strongly disagree. What is a "better driver" for you? Who takes corners in a schoolastic and safe way? For me a fast driver is who is able to reach the limit of the car, who knows every cm of the track, who have the skills to keep the car on track when pushing over the limit, playing with feet to change the load transfers, or with hands to cut out a understeery situation.
    It's impossible to become a "better driver" racing offline, there are no tools for learning, as for example watching fastest drivers in multiplayer, talk with them, have an opponent to beat.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    mesfigas likes this.
  20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Oops, pardon me please; I obviously accidentally stepped into a competition based conversation where I don't belong. You've successfully exposed me as an average guy! ;):D

I don't mean to suggest that everyone that is a fast Sim-racer is cheating or gaming the system - not at all. I know that people with extraordinary abilities exist in all walks of life, whether it be by natural talent or the shear will to learn through dedication, hard work and development of skills.

The only person I feel compelled to compete with is myself. I'm not a super-fast driver at all, mid-pack at best on a good day. I play for immersion, what some call "pretending" to be a good driver and I'm fine with that. I learn and practice race-craft too, not because I believe I will ever be a pro but, because it's a lifelong fantasy of mine and something I enjoy. I have far too many personal limitations to ever qualify in RL racing and have learned to accept that at me age.

The fact remains, there is always a way to cheat the system if that is the goal and every game has something that can be exploited for advantage. It happens in RL racing too - hopefully, not very often. Lord knows, it happens in politics every day.

Grey and Seven Smiles like this.