Track - resistance and wear

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Rock, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello I want to modify the specific behavior of a circuit.
    For :
    1) modify the resistance of a track. In the .tdf , this parameter does not give a result (Wear = 1.0 Dry = 1.0 Wet = 0.84 Roughness = (0.50,0.25) Resistance = 4000 ....).
    2) modify the abrasiveness ratio of a track. Knowing that this parameter works only for Ai (Wear = 1.0 Dry = 1.0 ....), I'm looking for the one that works for the player.
    Do you think that is feasible with .tdf or .Aiw?
    Thanks for your help

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Resistance may work, but it's not for the tyres I think. It's for the car undertray.

Abrasiveness is I think dependent on the roughness of the track, so change the first parameter of the Roughness=

3. Rock

Rock Registered

Thx Lazza for putting me on the right path.
    Yes I forgot it (Roughness =) I will test but I think it is the solution.
    I can not understand this word "undertray" because my English is poor ;-) and I do not see where I should look for it.
    But yes it's the impact of the track on the speed of the car (slope) for a specific track and not modify the mod itself.

4. Rock

Rock Registered

That's it I think I understand Understray ;-))
    ground effect or suction from under the car.
    I am in doubt but can we act on it in the parameters of the circuit tdf / aiw or others?

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That "Roughness" it is not influencing the tire wear; it's the coefficient of friction of the asphalt (that does influence the StaticRoughnessEffect in the tire compounds), which should be around 73/75%. Unless you have actual numbers from that specific tarmac from the track you are modeling, I wouldn't play to much with those numbers as they might really mess your grip levels in various conditions. :)

The "Wear=" in the .tdf it's the one acting on tire wear.

Lazza likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, sorry, confused my Wear and Wet parameters (Wet no longer does anything; Roughness handles that). Wear should work fine as a multiplier for tyre wear.

I might be wrong about resistance too :p

7. Rock

Rock Registered

I'm ok with that! Lazza. "(Wet no longer does anything; Roughness handles that).".

Thank you for this idea, Tuttle but the (Wear =) only works for the AI, from memory.
    The "StaticRoughnessEffect" is in the .TGM, it seems to me and I will not want to touch the mod.
    My need is for 1 track isolated.

I push the search and tell you

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Nope, the Wear variable in the .TDF is for both Player and AIs.

StaticRoughnessEffect is, as I said, in the tire compounds (TGMs) and of course you don't have to touch it. I mentioned to explain that the Roughness in the TDF is working with the StaticRoughnessEffect in the tire model, this is why you don't have to mess with ground Roughness as this is impacting the tire handling.

Just work with the Wear variable in the .TDF.

9. Rock

Rock Registered

Ok Tuttle. I'm going to test and I thank you for this detailed explanation.

10. Rock

Rock Registered

Ok it works with the Wear for player and AI. But do not hesitate to change wildly to see a result.
    Example on a track that posed a problem: 10 laps for Wear = 1.05 and 19 laps for Wear = 0.05.
    So yes it works.
    Thx Tuttle