Latest Roadmap Update - May 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 31, 2018.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Vrs was ok,until I found that I once I did a lap that was exactly the same as their posted lap,brake throttle speeds on straights and coner speeds,all exactly matched,yet I was two seconds off his pace,yet they couldn’t or wouldn’t give an explanation as to why.

Safe to say I didn’t bother paying for it after they decided to make it a pay service.

Do you know when the new tyre model version 7 is being released and which cars it will be on,I heard June build,but this is sim racing

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

when they have a new tyre model it’s imo not necessarly better just different ,
    There’s been times in the past when it’s been look upon as worse

The tyre model really shines for their oval content it gives a really nice feel of contact - noncontact
    But for their road content it’s not great

3. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

First, regarding Motec integration: not sure how S397 are going to approach this. iRacing take telemetry output and then they have a 'converter' that puts it into McLaren ATLAS format, though I've not been able to get that to work for a while (re-installed etc., just doesn't come up). They can take the direct telemetry output and use it for other purposes, especially for FFB for some more exotic wheels. So I'm not sure if the intent for S397 is to put out a telemetry output that only matches Motec formats, or they will also have a 'neutral' format that can then be converted to other ones. This is still all local to the user on their own PC; none if this is shared to other users in real time (which would I think take up a decent amount of bandwidth). You can share the saved telemetry file or the BLAP/OLAP files to compare best laps to, but this is a bit of a kludge if changing/loading them with your own userid. iRacing really needs to do some work to bolster this set of functionality, I'd like to know a bit more about what S397 plan here both for your own use and for sharing with others, real-time or not.

Second, is the sharing of additional information like VRS does, especially setups. Of the most recent developments at iRacing, this is one that grinds my gears the most. They have now created effectively an officially-sanctioned "loot box", pay-to-win approach. VRS who provide the setups and other coaching, now 'sponsor' some of the online series. I HATE the idea of having to pay for setups to be competitive. Setups are very important in oval racing, rated less so in road racing, but in both cases if you are off with the setups you can be 0.5/1 sec+ off the pace through that alone. If decent baselines (plural) were provided, this wouldn't be necessary. We have PLEADED with iRacing several times to create a setup-sharing function directly within the sim, and they've never developed it. In effect, this would be a way to post your setup to be shared, then allow people to search for setups for car/track and then also upvote/downvote it so that people can determine if there are 'high quality' setups being posted, and use those. iRacing has a 'share setup' but only within the active session. Again, would be interesting to know S397 plans for any features around this.

Finally, the NTM v7 tire model does NOT look like its going to make the June build. They are doing some changes to the oval cars to alleviate the 'camber thrust' issues they have by means of suspension geometry and limiting certain values. (For those who don't know, the oval cars are being raced with setups that max out the static camber and thus when under aero load, the cambers dynamically go even higher, up to 10 degrees, and the tire heating does not cause failures even at extremes, the benefit from the extra camber outweighs the loss of grip from an overheated tire). This is combined with an aero problem in that the oval cars are raced with a nose-up orientation and soft springs, which means you can get even more camber; but we all know the oval NASCAR cars race in real life with the splitter nailed to the ground so these aero setups should not work. NTMv7 is supposed to allow for tire failures/blowouts in such scenarios, eliminating the exploit. They also claim to be fixing the extreme heat sensitivity as well, which affects road probably even more than oval at this point. It's gotten so bad that Kaemmer created his first post on tire development for about 5 years, such are the complaints about the exploits in 'open setup' racing (in 'fixed setup' races, they use reasonable camber values and hence the cars behave much more reasonably and so everyone has migrated to those series). iRacing spent most of the last couple of years doing Dirt Oval and then Rallycross (latter is a ghost town) rather than fixing the tire issues for pavement racing, and the exploits are now so bad that they have pissed off their core user base. So yeah, I'm a bit salty on all that.

4. patchedupdemon

I was subbed to iracing when dk made that post,a lot of the fanboys were like “yeah haters take that” trying convey what he’d wrote was some kind of magic,unknown knowledge,I pointed out that what he wrote was and has been publicly available knowledge for many years,10+yrs in fact,and some of what he wrote was directly quoted from a Michelin pdf I used to have on my laptop before the hdd went kaput,dk came across like he had only just found this knowledge by doing real life tests etc,imho,so I pointed out the above and got the usual treatment from the fanboys.

I was wanting to resub to try out the new tyre model as I have 4-£500 of content not being used due to the tyre model being so unpleasant to drive,shame it won’t make the June build,but i thinks it’s questionable it fix the issues anyway

I also hate the fact you can’t view the release notes unless you’re subbed,it’s clear they don’t want potential members to see what is wrong with the so called “god sim”

I remember when someone finally made it public on their forums why some folks were able to lap half the field within half the race distance,”camber thrust” and that some were using as high as 14 degrees lol

But then the usual reply to that was,well everyone can use it now so what’s the problem,totally negating that it shouldn’t be a viable option in the first place,just like when they say “race open” or a “league” to find good quality racing,that negates the very essence of what iracing is supposed to offer with all its rating systems etc

Iracing really need an online competitor,otherwise they have no reason to rush and sort the product out

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    ebeninca likes this.
  5. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

In my opinion the road tire model had a huge improvement when the rally cross car came.

Specially because now you can easily save the car from a oversteer situation.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. patchedupdemon

If I remember correctly that was just a tyre pressure lowering,or maybe that was the one before,but the tyres still hold the heat for far to long,that’s why people crawl around on their outlap try not to build up any heat in the tyres,which is complete opposite to real life.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

But in real life saving a car from oversteer isn’t always easy apart from minor slower instances

8. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

In rf2 it's easier than iRacing.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

gosh you think ? I found the opposite but then iracing was my main sim, thus I was more tuned into it etc,
    I do find rf2 more natural maybe because the ffb seems very informative and lower latency

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Registered

LOL

11. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Registered

It’s alway a good laugh seeing ppl so mislead.

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

indeed tire model in iracing is unpleasant
    actually is bad and i think its made for spastics
    no offence i play iracing but it doesnt attract me so much cause of tire model

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Enlighten me then please ! How am I mislead ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  14. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

Guys from Studio-397, please revive the online race. My friend and I wanted to drive to GT3 yesterday but there is no server. Only closed leagues. I had to run AC where there is no driving pleasure...

CamiloNino likes this.
  15. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Great news and roadmap!
    This means (to me) that the competition infrastructure is in very good shape (if they started implementing it to the UI).
    In addition: they have time to integrate Motec data logging. This is also a good sign of moving forward at a good pace!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    ebeninca and patchedupdemon like this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Sebring's looking peng.

That's what the kids say isn't it? Peng?

17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

It didn't work for me, still no rear wheels on the FBMW.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Lots if the cars seem to be missing the rear details/wheels

Looks strange in vr when looking back or looking at the car from outside

LokiD likes this.
  19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Yea my brother complains about this in rf2, unlike AC where you can nicely get out of car and walk around it on track (providing you have the space). Ive stood there and inspected each detail in AC on the cars. Its actually very cool indeed.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  20. Pedro Delgado2

Pedro Delgado2 Registered

My mistake... It's HD only :p