How to set audio device used independent from windows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MerlinC2000, May 30, 2018.

1. MerlinC2000

MerlinC2000 Registered

Would like to set a audio device for rF2 independent from the windows standard audio device. Is that feasible?
    If yes where to do the settings?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Windows Settings -> Sound -> App volume and device preferences

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Playback Devices is where you make the change.
    Access Playback Devices either from Control Panel / Sounds or by right clicking the speaker symbol in the taskbar.
    So if you have a soundcard installed plus the motherboard's audio you can change which one is the default.

In this picture my motherboards Realtek Audio has no speakers or headphones plugged in.
    I am currently using my Asus Xonar soundcard for audio.
    sound.JPG
    Right click on them to change the settings.

What Lazza said too.
    I'm on my Win 7 pc at the moment.

4. MerlinC2000

MerlinC2000 Registered

Well - should have provided more details to avoid misunderstanding. What I'm trying to achieve is that I can live stream the rF2 game sound without other audio sources like (Crew-Chief, chats on discord, etc.). In iRacing I'm using virtualcable with the following setup - but that requires that I can tell the sim which Playback Device to be used.
    Audio_Configuration.png

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Windows 10 (maybe 8) is supposed to let you choose the output device for specific apps, but I'm not sure if it works. Right now I can't even manage to separate my headphones and speakers to different devices to test if it works, if windows can see virtual cable as a device it may be able to do it, or you'll confirm that it doesn't work :)

6. MerlinC2000

MerlinC2000 Registered

Well "VirtualCable" is just a virtual audio device you can use within an application like any other audio device.

But based on Lazza's feedback I googled for an app which allows to re-route audio streams. This is what I found
    https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router

First quick testing seems to confirm that I can now route the rF2 audiostream to another device than the windows standard device. Better would be if the device can be selected within rF2.