More endurance! Offline too.

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Endurancer, May 8, 2018.

1. Endurancer

Endurancer Registered

Please don't get me wrong. I know RF2 has already good functionalities for endurance multi-class multi-driver-per-car races and there is a lot of people out there having good time in online endurance RF2 leagues.

But I don’t really have the time to join and properly take part on those. So I would like to see some features implemented for better offline endurance. And the last one may please online players too:

1. Ability to let the player swap with the AI. This was mentioned somewhere else, but I would like to emphasize this in a thread just about offline endurance. Today there is the toggle AI control option but it does not consider talent files and the performance of the ai controlling the player car does not match the opponents. Seems thar GTR2 had this beautifully implemented, so it would be nice to see it in RF2.

2. Good damage simulation for the AI. Today the AI seems to take some damage, but apparently it is never the same damage that the player takes, the repair time is short in comparison. Also, after a crash the AI easily nurses the car to the pits at full speed while the player has much more trouble doing this. I know that simulate it in detail would be a lot of trouble and probably cause a lot of accidents, but at least reduce the speed of the AI in this conditions would be great. I have been doing some tests and it seems that if for whatever reason the AI gets 0% tyre wear (meaning the tires are 100% done, wore off) it gets really slow. The same could be used to simulate heavy damage effects.

3. Multiple failures types. Flat tyres, electric failures, overheating, gearbox failure, brakes wear/ failure, etc. Randomically and due to drive style depending on the case.For both player and AI. Affecting the driving accordingly (a car with a brake failure would not … brake, of course), at least for the player. Causing different repair periods. It could be necessary some 40min in the pits to repair something. And then come back to try to recover, like Porsche in Le Mans 2017. Would be great and the endurance feeling/atmosphere would be amazing.

I remember when my throttle broke in Imola in Geoff Crammond’s GP4, and my car went to the wall because I could not make it stop accelerating. Or in PCARS, I had a failure in one of the brakes in a SPA 24h race and went spinning like crazy, before pitting for repairs. Cool experiences (in a SIM of course…). Only thing, in PCARS the brake repair time was not properly simulated. All this in RF2 would be fantastic.

Make the car be visually brought in/out of the garage while the repairs are done would be a bonus. But just having the possibility of such events in a long race would be enough to take RF2, probably the best SIM around for offline racing a whole step ahead. And would be great online too.

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I'd like to see failure types as well. Would spice up endurance racing and would make the retro F1 mods a bit more realistic. I too remember playing the Geoff Crammond games and getting pissed becuase the engine blew on the last lap or had transmission issues. All part of racing especially in the 90s.

3. Pales

Pales Registered

We all wish for things like this but realistically, you're not going to see any of these changes :(

4. Endurancer

Endurancer Registered

Really? That would be a shame.
    Even PCARS 2 has a kind of a good damage/failures/repairs system now, for player and AI. Only problem is that you get to know everything about it really fast as the AI hits something every 2-3 corners, but still...

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I saw AI in Project Cars 2 running without rear wing without any problem :D
    BTW engine overheating and brakes failure are already here in rF2. You can also destroy your front bumper and blow the engine some minutes later for radiator damages.

6. Endurancer

Endurancer Registered

Yes, it is not perfect. But I like the fact the AI may stay in the pits for 90 secs or so if they do something really stupid…

This two things I have not seem yet. Overheating and engine blow due to over-rev , ok.
    I suspect some mods doesn't allows that.

7. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

This is what i really miss in sim racing games. Be able to set up the strength of your AI toggle control pilot. An importend feature for offline endurance racing.

8. Endurancer

Endurancer Registered

You know, I ended up finding out a way to do that, but is non-conventional, non-intuitive, not simple, not supposed to be so, etc., etc…. I can share if anyone is interested. It is basically based up in creating a mod with car only for the player with different AIGripMult values in the TBC…. I can try find some time to share details if anyone is interested.

But of course, I would like it to be based on talent files…

9. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

I am very interested:)

10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

its all about the ai and if they have any kind of pit strategy. most times they just run out of fuel or pit too many times. I'm very reluctant about endurance racing in any sim. Many years of f1 games, not getting the ai right in pit stops lead me to be this mentality. f12017 still doesn't get it right when circumstances change drastically in a race.

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I did a ten lap race at Donnington in the V8s and most of the field pitted on lap nine. Did the race against making it a twenty five lap race and they didn't pit at all.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Interesting, very unintuitive results!

13. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

Btw, have any of you ever had a brake failure? I only had it once with the formula 3 mod. Was a pretty crazy moment and sorta cool too.

14. Emery

Emery Registered

Brake fade with the Cobra on Longford. If you put in 2-3 laps with max effort, it happens going into the pub corner.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The cars in rf1 had failures. Did a race in the 2008 mod and Hamilton went off with brake problems and Barrichello was showing an electrical fault.

16. Endurancer

Endurancer Registered