Latest Roadmap Update - April 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2018.

1. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Yeah, who cares if the AI is broken in the rain or if the graphics engine is terribly optimized. Get the sky the right color!

Louis and peterchen like this.
  2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Or perhaps people are free to talk about whatever they want, even about little details?
    Is not only black and white as you think.

3. kimbo

kimbo Registered

I do not like AC, I do not participate in its forum, I do not buy its dlc, I almost never play it, why the fuck do not do the same things who that do not like rf2?

4. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

They can complain about anything they want; I just find it puzzling.

5. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Shame on us for wanting something that we paid for to be improved.

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Wrong. You paid for rF2 as is and had the option to refund incase you don't like it. May I remind you that it is very unusual to get support for a game that is five years or older? In that regard sim racers are just too spoiled. Sure it is ok to give feedback and ask for improvements, the question is how you approach other people.

The AI problems that you mentioned are being looked at, so how about that?

7. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

You can want something and being smart in the same time, like all of us.

Comante likes this.
  8. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

I don't care how old the game is when there is still paid DLC being sold for it. As long as that continues it should still be supported.

Maybe the AI problems are being looked at. I haven't seen any proof of that, but let's assume they are. That's part of the problem. Issues are known, but they're rarely fixed. How long has the UI been "looked at"?

9. oppolo

oppolo Registered

Why the fuck people do not use the blacklist?:D

Felipe Granado and Louis like this.
  10. Pedro Delgado2

Pedro Delgado2 Registered

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Just because your desired feature doesn't get fixed first doesn't mean that there are no issues fixed. It is a matter of priorities and performance optimization obvously had to be done first, so that people are even able to play the game. That you even ask again for the 100th time for the new UI tells me that you haven't read the roadmaps or listened to the devs when they explained why stuff takes longer. Do you allways just ignore what has been told to you?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  12. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Indeed it is a matter of priorities. The top one has always been paid DLC. The minor optimizations were a token effort; some people even have decreased performance. I saw very little improvement. I pay close attention to the roadmaps. They're all very similar. It's always how they're very close to fixing a core game issue, and how there's new paid DLC. The core issues don't get fixed, but the paid DLCs get released.

13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Minor optimizations - you must be one hell of a programmer.

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The day the users of this forum will learn as adults to respect each other and talk to each other properly, despite their real differences and point of view.

It reminds me of this small, unobtrusive war between those who consider constructive criticism associated with congratulations when it is necessary VS the very positive and caring people for S397, even when some things are wrong.

Some users are very uncomfortable, just because they read things with which they do not agree, knowing that these remarks are not reprehensible.

I don't know if it is the same in other forums.

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If ya all add UsedMomo to the ignore list and stop feeding him would be great you know, I already did but people keep answering him it's useless. Dude is clerly just fishing a ban for whatever reason.

pkelly, Pedro Delgado2 and CamiloNino like this.
  16. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It is indeed a matter of priorities. But you also need to throw in a dash of truth about where things have gotten to, after S397 took over from ISI.

S397 diagnosed the issues with the software when they took over. They believed there was a fundamentally sound sim product, but it was being held back from achieving its potential because of various factors. Most people here have an opinion that the basic physics/FFB was good to great; so leave that be, and improve the stuff around it. First priority they identified was move from a very dated look to the graphics, which necessitated a move from DX9 to DX11. This they have achieved. And with the latest build, they have largely resolved the performance issues that came with this and we've got much improved quality. They also added VR, something which is especially advantageous in the sim racing niche. Are both areas in need of more improvements? Certainly. VR performance and triple-screen performance, and lock-to-horizon in VR are things I see mentioned. But, S397 clearly worked on that area which was most in need of improvement.

The second area most mentioned was with content. Whilst some liked what was available, and there was certainly a wide variety, many felt that this too was lacking in quality. They've hardly gone crazy with DLC unlike some other titles; a GT3 pack, a Formula E pack, and a Karting pack in 18 months (not made by the core team). Compare that output to AC, or the increases in content with titles like PC2 or iRacing, you'll find it somewhat competitive. And we all know and understand (though some refuse to accept) that in order to stay in business, S397 needs revenue, and this is the path they have chosen to get it. Now, you could make an argument that the other area needing improvement was that of content made by modders; S397 have made some progress with dev documentation and some minor updates to tools; and its a matter of opinion if this is enough at this point and is driving better modder engagement and new content. The main one I've seen at this stage is Enduracers mod, which includes most of the newest features. There's always going to be a lag time between producing documentation and actually seeing new content.

Which brings us to two areas that arguably are in need of work. First, are all other aspects of the sim other than graphics. And its true that little obvious progress has been made here, and at this point, it needs to come up the priority list. Second, is the UI. Now, making changes and adding features/functions even to offline play, are going to also probably need changes to the UI to support them. One of the big complaints of rF2 is the need to fiddle with files and settings within files in order to get the result you want: and most people likely don't want to keep doing this level of 'hacking'. Few other sims require the level of tweaking that rF2 does. But this is all now queued up and has to wait for the release of the UI 'framework'. It's quite clearly the critical development item, nothing eclipses it in terms of priority. Once they have the basics of this rolled out, they can probably then turn their attention to all the other pieces that need fixing or improving. They've clearly had major issues with this area: and until they solve this, and in much the same way as they needed to solve the performance issues, there's not much point throwing out new ideas and areas in the Roadmap, because they aren't going to get realized in any short timeframe. With one exception: new content. So it cannot be a surprise that the Roadmap has largely talked about new content. But it probably is time for a Roadmap that explains what other areas of the sim are going to get fixed in some sort of priority order. S397 don't need telling that the UI is holding up everything else; and us beating them up for it isn't going to get it here any faster at this stage. They are right, its basically a matter of grinding it out.

Depco, Emery, F1Aussie and 9 others like this.
  17. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Well said this man

pkelly likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sky: we just need proper looking clouds. I don't think anyone really cares whether the blue matches their own reality (I'm sure it's regional and seasonal; sometimes the sky here is aqua, other times it's deep blue) but if there are some high flat cirrus clouds, some scattered and sometimes sparse fluffy white cumulus clouds, and occasionally some moderately-distanced menacing cumulonimbus clouds as a precursor to the dark overcast conditions that accompany heavy rain in the game, I think we'd be happy. The 1-3 layers of flat clouds just don't look good.

F1Aussie, Guimengo and McKiernan like this.
  19. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

No, but I do have eyes. I've not seen any major improvement.

20. Louis

Louis Registered

what?