Unequal Multiview?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dero, May 1, 2018.

1. dero

dero Registered

I can't seem to find any reference to this.

I have a 34" 21:9 center monitor, and a 27" 16:9 on each side. All 1080p, eyefinity works, multiview works.

My only issue is the screen is split for equal sized monitors, so my "screen breaks" are on my center monitor. Has anyone came up with a way to change this so the center section can get a larger FOV than the outer sections?

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

When in car bring up the triple monitor app, look in the control settings page to find the hotkey as I'm not at computer right now.
    I think you might be able to input different monitor sizes.

3. lamck

lamck Registered

Press "Ctrl =" (default key) to open multi view tool or edit "config" data file in rf2 folder. U can set each monitor size there.
    But I not sure the effect, I use same size monitors .

4. dero

dero Registered

ctrl = doesn't have that adjustment. the width adjustment changes FOV within the bounds set by assuming equal monitor width

As of now I have that set up to minimize the screen break effect, but it is far from ideal. I have my drivers side monitor set at a pretty steep angle, and it works out pretty well since the screen break is usually near the A pillar, but I need to compromise on the passenger side to be able to see the mirror and still have a nearly seamless view out the windshield.

upload_2018-5-2_18-54-57.png

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you tried selecting "Main" and inputting your 34" monitor measurements then select "Left" then "Right" and inputting their measurements. Then the gap, eye and ang measurements.
    It looks like you have put your centre monitor measurements on the right side monitor.
    If that doesn't work, try the config file as lamck said. It is all explained in the file how to do it.

6. dero

dero Registered

That was a bad, over exaggerated example. I was playing around and never tried to drive like that before posting. That config did not end well. I confirmed the config file matches the settings I entered in game.

See attached images. 2nd image is the same settings, with increased center monitor width. I changed the gap to make the monitor break more visible. All of these settings change the image rendered over a single region, but doesn't change the region. I can increase the width and squish my whole dash into the middle 1/3 of the span, but that's it. Can anyone with equal monitors get the screen breaks to show up in game? That would point to my solution.

I feel all monitor dimensions should be the same in the config, unless you truly do have unequal monitors. In that case there needs to be a adjustment to compensate for difference in resolution of the monitors. All the height and width parameters allow you to do is distort the image.

Attached Files:

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, so your issue is caused by the fact your monitors have different resolution, I think. It appears the game doesn't have options to adjust for that, in the on-screen tool at least. Do any of the config files allow you to input resolution?

8. dero

dero Registered

Yeah, they are all 1080p (height), but the center has more pixels in width.

All I see for resolution is a minimum and maximum. Maybe the selected resolution is stored elsewhere.

//[[gMa1.002f (c)2016 ]] [[ ]]
    [COMPONENTS]
    LanguagesFile=GAME.DIC
    ObjDetail=1
    TexDetail=1
    VideoGUID=00006810-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    VideoDriver=0
    VideoMode=34
    VrSettings=0
    AggressiveThread=0
    EPostProcessingSettings=1
    VideoRefresh=0
    WindowedMode=0
    Borderless=0
    RunBenchmarks=1
    FSAA=32
    VSync=0
    UseFXAA=0
    ShaderLevel=0
    SubViews=2
    UseSubViewParams=2
    WorkaroundFlags=0
    ViewParams=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 39.600, 0.000) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel

gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 39.600, 0.001)
    RightView=(0.582, 0.340, 0.600, 26.200, -0.000)
    PreferredGPU=-1
    WidescreenUI=0
    WidescreenUIWidth=-1
    WidescreenHUD=1
    CustomVidRes=(0, 0)
    VRMirrorWindowVidRes=(1920, 1080)
    VRUIScale=(1.000, 1.000, 1.000)
    MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
    MaximumVidRes=(99999, 99999)

[INSTALL]
    InstallFrom=
    InstallTo=

[AUTOLAUNCH]
    Mode=Off
    LaunchTime=600

[VERSION]
    Version=-1.000000

EDIT:

Searched "*.ini" in the rFactor folder. Found a setup2.ini, but nothing of interest there.

9. lamck

lamck Registered

Is the data u attached have been modified for wider centre monitor?
    The three monitors width are almost the same 0.5x meter.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

What Lazza said about different resolution got me thinking and yes, it hurt. :eek:
    I'm going to assume the two outside 27" monitors each have a resolution of 1920 x 1080, so the resolution width of the two is 3840.
    Once again assuming your 34" has a resolution of 2560 x 1080.
    So the combined resolution of the three monitors is 6400 x 1080.

I don't know if what I suggest will work but you can only try.
    Edit the max res like: MaximumVidRes=(6400, 1080)

Then edit these lines like mine but with your measurements:
    SubViews=2
    UseSubViewParams=2
    WorkaroundFlags=0
    ViewParams=(0.733, 0.295, 0.650, 60.000, 0.006) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.525, 0.295, 0.650, 60.000, 0.006)
    RightView=(0.525, 0.295, 0.650, 60.000, 0.006)

I have 3 @ 24" 1920 x 1080 monitors and that is my config except for the 0.733.
    I used the ingame triple screen app to change 0.525 to 0.733 and it didn't look way out of whack.
    So, like mine, the middle monitor: ViewParams= screen width is the only value that should be different to the left and right view.
    Obviously don't guess the screen dimensions, use a tape measure, the eye distances should all be the same as each other as well as angle and bezel.
    My monitors only have a 6mm bezel but because the side monitors are angled the bezel amount can be fine tuned with the ingame app.

Hope that helps, keep us informed.

11. dero

dero Registered

That is my resolution. I just tried changing MaximumVidRes and see no change

This is pretty much what my previously posted screenshots demonstrate. The game still assumes equal resolution split between monitors, meaning it thinks I have 3 1080x2133.33 monitors. This adjustment would work great if I did indeed have equal resolution monitors, with the middle monitor being wider. Unfortunately monitors do not have rectangular pixels.o_O I suppose I should figure out what UseSubViewParams does. There might be something there.

It may not be way out of wack, but you can confirm the image does get stretched, correct? The screen breaks are hidden between your bezels, and no matter how far you adjust the width you will never be able to see the breaks with your equal width/resolution monitors. You see the screen breaks in my screenshots, right? In each image they are placed 1/3 and 2/3 resolution distance across the span, which is ideal for equal resolution monitors.

Since eyefinity turns multiple physical monitors into 1 virtual monitor, there is no information available for the game to determine the size of each monitor, and no way to manually input these parameters. Not that I can find at least. I'm worried they are hard coded. I'm not sure if this can be modified by anyone, and I don't have the know-how beyond messing with configuration files anyway.

I agree with this, I would like to get the screen breaks moved first if possible though. Right now my settings are very compromised: I have a balance between decent view angles, and minimizing the kinks (screen breaks with different multiview angles on either side) on the sides of my center screen. If I set it up "correctly", these kinks really mess with the direction of movement of objects as they cross the center screen.

EDIT:
    Came up with another idea, but no luck so far finding a way to implement it. If I could force my 16:9 monitors to overscan horizontally, forcing them to 2560x1080, I'm sure rFactor would run at 7680x1080, and put the screen breaks where I want them. Radeon Additional Settings has a custom resolution option, but won't let me go over the true resolution. :(

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yep, you are correct.
    The subviews are the two side monitors.
    When you enable Multiview, I assume, the game detects how many monitors there are.
    So with three monitors your middle one is the ViewParams line and the two side monitors are called the SubViews and seeing as there are two SubViews they each use their own SubView Parameters, Left and Right.

I do have a $64,000 question. What does that suspiciously placed WorkaroundFlags=0 do. seeing that it's amongst all the monitor options it only makes sense it does something display wise.

One last idea, have you tried turning Multiview off?

13. dero

dero Registered

My intuition is it doesn't detect number of monitors at all, but I tried using just one monitor and was not able to enable multiview. So it must detect number of monitors, has a resolution threshold, or detects eyefinity to enable it. There is only one monitor available in settings with eyefinity on. I went out on a limb and tried to force it to 5 views so I could put the breaks on the outer monitors, but it just turned multiview off.

I did a quick search, and it looks like WorkaroundFlags is workaround for nvidia drivers crashing.

I have thought about just turning it off, but I'm a glutton for punishment and haven't gotten to that point yet.

ADSTA likes this.
  14. Javierodelpiero

Javierodelpiero Registered

Hi dero
    I am having this same headache using a center monitor 21:9 (3440*1440) flanked by two 16:9 (2560*1440).
    did you find a way to tell rf that your center monitor resolution is different that the sides?

Currently I am playing with single image stretched at 8560*1440 but the bezels annoy me

15. dero

dero Registered

I've been away from RF for a while. But it's winter so I am back at it. I went searching for answers and found my own post.

But, no. I have not found a way to make this work. Currently I am trying to find another game that supports this, but no luck.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Racing sim, probably not.

There's a truck simulator series (european truck simulator, etc) that has fantastic screen support (via console). Technically I think rF2 could do the same (multiview is already separate viewports) but they've never expanded on the existing triple tool.

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I apologise now to @dero as nothing in this post is helpful.
    It does have some very useful config options, eg centre monitor landscape mode with 2 side mon portrait mode, use 2 monitors instead of 1 for centre monitor and offset view so bezels aren't central in your view. Plenty more monitor adjustments.

It's multi screen support fails in one massive area which downgrades it to "almost fantastic"
    You cannot adjust the angle the game displays to the side monitors. It is fixed at roughly 45ยบ

Surprising how software devs can omit one function that is common for the type of program.
    Take Discord who claim to be the best service with all the bells and whistles and even have a HypeSquad you can join to, I don't know, hype the unhyped, but try and assign a hotkey to increase / decrease voice chat volume.
    A voice chat program for gaming that can't do the single most basic thing whilst in-game. o_O
    Which way to the TeamSpeak3 CleverClub.
    /rant

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA yes offtopic, but you're wrong: that game you can point the views anywhere you want, and even create multiple subviews (different sizes, custom position, ...). You have to config it manually via the console, but once you work it out and set it up it's great. The presets are quite possibly fixed on angles, but it's completely flexible. I simply don't understand how/why other games don't do it - I'm sure some performance optimization plays a part (we're still coming from engines assuming probably <100 deg FOV max, and we see that in some incorrect shadow drawing on the side screens in rF2) and that game (or series of games) isn't known for great performance, but it's also not a huge team. I personally think people would prefer the option and manage performance themselves (look at environment reflections!).

19. Andreas Peppel

Andreas Peppel Registered

I found a way. At least it works with by center ultra widescreen. Same trick as iRacing: Faking you have three ultra wide screens.

ViewParams=(1.200, 0.356, 0.600, 25.000, 0.000) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(1.200, 0.356, 0.600, 25.000, -0.022)
    RightView=(1.200, 0.356, 0.600, 25.000, 0.012)
    CustomVidRes=(11520, 1080) // Center ultra wide screen: 1920+3840+1920 = 7680. But to be able to adjust bazels at their actual position: 3840+3840+3840 = 11520

20. Javierodelpiero

Javierodelpiero Registered

Man you are a genius, it works yes, just faking 3 x 3440 in my case
    thanks a lot for sharing this

ViewParams=(0.820, 0.322, 0.510, 30.000, 0.000) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.820, 0.326, 0.510, 37.000, 0.011)
    RightView=(0.820, 0.326, 0.510, 37.000, 0.017)
    WidescreenUIWidth=8560
    CustomVidRes=(10320, 1440).

Actually my two sides are native 1920x1080 forced to 2560x1440

Andreas Peppel likes this.