Lock to horizon function for VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lewi6, May 7, 2017.

1. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

+1
    For VR AND for 2d. The vibrations are horrible.

2. Ricky Oca

Ricky Oca Registered

+1

Please, this option is fundamdamental for RV

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I asked ages ago, maybe someone can answer this time: do the head movement controls do anything in VR? (look up/down, etc)

I suspect from what someone said regarding the real head movement plugin that they don't, but I'd like confirmation. Thanks!

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If the asked feature is implemented please make it optional. I am absolutely fine with actual situation.

5. Ricky Oca

Ricky Oca Registered

Of course. 0-100% slider is ideal.

SPASKIS likes this.
  6. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Lazza,
    I've picked up a Dell visor a couple of weeks back and so have been able to do some testing. You're correct in assuming that the head movement controls do not work in VR. I've also verified what other have stated, that the head motion plugin has no effect. I have all head movement set to 0 and fortunately am one of those who doesn't have a problem with the head shaking, tho I realize that's a very personal thing. I do however niw see how people would have issues with it. The biggest thing that makes VR headsets not the greatest for sim racing is the fact that the details get lost in the distance as the screens are just not fully there yet. This fact along with the shaking makes things in the distance even more blurry. However personally I'm not a 100% convinced that locking the view to the horizon would be the perfect fix. Yes it would make the blurriness less intrusive but IMO that's not very realistic. The world outside moving around almost makes me believe more that I've hit a bump.

I haven't tried any of the other games so can't really compare. And like I've mentioned it's def a personal preference thing so to each their own.

TK

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks for letting me know :)

Shame, doesn't really make it seem worthwhile to try and implement a fix when it does nothing in VR anyway. Plus I found it difficult to fully eliminate the shaking, something about physics vs graphics update timings throws it off a bit. For anyone interested I found a 0.2s history of car orientation adequate to mostly eliminate oscillations (tested with Meganes at Bathurst, true FOV) while not creating uncomfortable delay between actual car orientation and the head following (camber/banking/slopes etc). Hopefully they implement something along these lines soon and also make it available to non-VR, I could see how annoying it could be when using low FOV.

But all as an option of course, ideally as suggested above a slider between the current setup and 'full' damping.

Ricky Oca and SPASKIS like this.
  8. Lewi6

Lewi6 Registered

Just a bump for this thread. It's been a while since Marcel said it was going to be implemented. Waiting patiently.

Ernie and tiffarno like this.
  9. Wade

Wade Registered

+1

I just created an account to post in this topic.

I will not play a racing sim if it doesn't have lock to horizon. I play Assetto Corsa. I keep wanting to try rFactor 2, but it doesn't have this. So, no go.

The only reason I found this thread is because I keep searching whether or not they put it in yet.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Cote Dazur and Ernie like this.
  10. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

I don't know - feels like the devs abandoned this game. Or VR at the very least. Basically no updates at all, utter silence. During the beta launch, we got updates every week or so... and now: months and months of silence.

It's a pity - this used to be my favourite racing sim.

11. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can go into the discord and read updates every day. In the roadmap, they talked about performance updates coming for vr.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They have abandoned this game? More like there are so many projects to accomplish, they can't get to all of them at once. And some will depend upon other projects being completed first. They made a good first stab at VR, now I suspect the performance update will be necessary for any more improvements in VR. Take out the Mclaren M4 and you'll be more than busy learning to cleanly shift and drive.
    Italian Openwheelers are coming, GT3 mod additions coming from APEX, laser scanned Sebring is coming, Zandvoort improvements in the works, Rain is here, UI is STILL being worked on, The TIRE STORE is open! 3rd party Nordsclieffe has been improved, 3rd Party VIR is rocking, visual damage has been added. I guess you are correct, nothing to see here.

Seven Smiles and The Iron Wolf like this.
  13. Ernie

Ernie Registered

This is simply not true. You get at least a monthly report (updated roadmap).

But regarding topic ..... yes i'm also still waiting for the lock to horizon feature. I'm actually driving my other sims in VR only, which is not possible for me in rF2, because the current cockpit cam feels very uncomfortable to me.

tiffarno and Cote Dazur like this.
  14. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Yeah good idea, best stay on topic ;)

Ernie likes this.
  15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

This thread has been started almost a year ago, let's all hope that there will be at least a mention about LTH status in the next road map in a few days.:)

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DrivingFast As mentioned via PM, I think what many of us are after in LTH is a configurable amount, certainly not a total lock to horizon that completely stops the camera tilting at all, but options to select anything between "completely physics-driven head movement" and "totally damped head movement that follows the vehicle orientation". As an option.

I'm posting here because it will quickly derail the karts thread if we keep talking about it there.

Ricky Oca and DrivingFast like this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have locked to horizon in AC and it works until inuse a track with banking or the car rolled .
    Driving old Monza around the banking it just feels stupid having the car roll around me .
    There needs a inbetween for occasions like this !
    Hate to say it but pC2 does this best for me .
    R3E make you adjust files to get it close and rF2 is vomit inducing.
    There needs a solution.
    @Christopher Elliott pops in to say stay on topic but gives no input !
    Is this even being looked at ?

Wade likes this.
  18. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

We already mentioned it will be looked in to as an option. :)

Ricky Oca, Ernie and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Sorry Christopher but I missed something because I don't follow the thread "VR / lock to the horizon":

If I understood your message, a redesign of headphysics is planned OR in progress ? (also for non VR users)

If so, this is great news.
    Can you confirm / deny ?

Thank you

20. EricW

EricW Registered

Not sure what they exactly changed in the last two months, but it looks a hell lot better now.