Latest Roadmap Update - March 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2018.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

And me mine

Louis likes this.
  2. Louis

Louis Registered

the king of the world, but it isnt about his

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Talk about the road map now, or don't talk at all.

Sherwin92, Nimugp, nonamenow and 4 others like this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I hope next roadmap provides more clarity of when things will happen. Community not only likes topics but also a timeframe for that to be completed.

The used terms are absolutely ambiguous deliberately. It is impossible to have an idea of when things will happen.

As the opening text of the roadmap says, for sure they are not deadlines. For that, some specific rough estimate should have been provided and it wasn't.

Extracted from the roadmap:

We know how much you all enjoy these road maps, with anticipation of the things to come, and we are just as anxious to share them with you. Keeping you informed of our broad development goals is part of our whole outlook. For us communication is key to making sure we stay on the mark and never get out ahead of our userbase. So as things begin to take shape and features mature, we do our best to show you the progression and previews as soon as we possibly can. Although these are not ‘deadlines’, they should give a you good idea of the things you need to get excited about.

Performance
    We hope to get it out to you ASAP!

Content
    March 761
    With that we are pleased to announce that we will be releasing the March 761 soon for free.

Botniaring

We have a new track on the horizon.

Zandvoort
    We’re almost ready to put the track through final testing, so we hope to bring you this new version soon!

Oreca 07 LMP2

After all these free updates above, we are also proud to announce another car that will be part of a new upcoming pack.

UI

As this first phase begins to wrap up and we have a stable functioning UI, our focus is shifting to those specific things that really need to be more user friendly, existing features that were either hidden or not readily visible enough to find and use.

Competition
    We hope to show you more real soon!

Community
    That is the reason the GT3 skins took us longer, but we’re confident we can release them next week.

Louis and philman like this.
  5. sg333

sg333 Registered

Marcel confirmed on Discord that the Oreca 07, Norma, C7R GTE and two unannounced GTE cars are part of the same pack. I believe that was due for an April release

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Just think yourself lucky S397 are actually trying to get stuff done (unlike the mob who gave up) for a sim that was released 11th January 2012.
    How many games are still getting updated 6 years after release. Not very bloody many.
    They don't have to tell us anything!
    Go take your blue pen and.......

JimmyT likes this.
  7. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

Some smaller updates for upcoming releases would be really nice.
    Because you are right @SPASKIS we never know if an update comes in days, weeks or even months whatever the roadmap says.
    And iam very much looking forward for the performance patch for big grid online racing,
    so i look like every day if there is a new patch or something about this in the forum.
    But it feels like a waste of time, when you think it could come in the next days because they say "ASAP" and the weeks go by without any information about it.
    I mean, ASAP could mean anything. :/

Louis likes this.
  8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I think you will find that ASAP in fact means "as soon as possible" and I for one would prefer quality to hastily released product.
    Technically the performance patch isn't product because product insinuates extra cost and the patch will most likely be free (not unlike a the majority of the content).
    I reiterate, $31.99US for rFactor 2 currently (and S397 probably didn't get much of the payment for purchase as ISI more than likely owned it when the majority of users bought) It isn't a major expense in any man's language. For all the content you can get for free and the quality of the package I think I got my money's worth.

ADSTA likes this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If they give a rough estimate and cant manage to do things in time you'll complain either way so why bother

Nimugp, Goanna and jayarrbee36 like this.
  10. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

@JimmyT "I think you will find that ASAP in fact means "as soon as possible" and I for one would prefer quality to hastily released product."
    You dont want to understand what i mean or you are an smartass... hope in english they dont take that as abuse, in Germany we dont.
    My point is not, that they have to release unfinished patches, but to give a bit more info about the progress and timeframes when they can.
    Otherwise they could write "on the horizon" for everything to lessen the pleasant anticipation.
    But i wrote this already and i dont want to repeat myself.

Louis and JimmyT like this.
  11. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

What a pack! :cool:

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

To accompany the words of @SPASKIS, without adding :

I am strongly awaiting the update of performances. This update, essential, I have been waiting since the very beginning of the DX11 Beta, ie for a very very long time. There would never have been such a high performance problem.

The way I want to go :

- January = they announce that they have started for some time to work on it.
    - February: I reread at least 10 times the part of the roadmap of february on the part of the performance :
    For me it was said quite clearly : the update was imminent, and you could imagine having the update before the next roadmap......
    - Another roadmap in March = delivery of the update seems more distant than in February.
    - Mid-April = no information. I start to believe it no more (to be resigned if you prefer).

Then a user from Discord tells us what is the content of the pack (thank's) :
    You find it normal to be informed by a user, not an official message on the forum ? Not me.

Spaskis is not wrong.

On the other hand I recognize one thing : S397 seems better to finalize these release, before delivering them (but it is perhaps only an impression.

Louis, Mibrandt and Wanderer like this.
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

Quite a few "old" sims are still getting updated, iRacing, Assetto, Raceroom etc. It wasn't the norm before, but these days developers finance ongoing development of existing product with DLC's. So there is nothing strange about it.

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Yeah Simulation gaming is " N O T" the same like the rest genres of games.
    also its obvious rf2 needs to be up to date since day one.
    cheers and keep it up to date.

DrivingFast likes this.
  15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It's a road map, not an itinerary.

ADSTA, Seven Smiles and bwana like this.
  16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Years of working on performance improvement of phone software means I know a) how hard it is b) how much longer it takes than you think when planning c) how many corner cases break and have to be fixed, painfully. There's a big gap between "We have made some performance improvements which show promise in the lab" and "The performance improvements are ready for release". As AMillward says

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I would rather have them say "this is in the pipeline and we're working on it and will get it to you asap" than "it will be here on 13th May" and it not arrive.

jayarrbee36 and sg333 like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll bite...

They said ", it should not be long now until we can release these improvements to you."

That's not imminent, and it has nothing to do with roadmaps. Again, roadmap != build.

This isn't a routine process. This isn't a company providing webpages, building a new one for a client which follows much the same pattern as previous clients' expectations with some custom modifications to suit the application. They have to identify bottlenecks or potential architectural changes that could produce a benefit, take the time to plan the implementation of those changes/fixes and different technical options they have to do it, implement those changes in full or in part and fix any bugs that crop up during that process, then get some proper and accurate tests done comparing what they had before to what they have now (and potentially a number of new options they're considering) across a range of hardware to determine what works, what doesn't, what breaks some hardware combinations, what leads to image artifacts, etc.

I think it's a bad idea to get through some initial testing and report the results. I can see how it's promising and can be seen as a good thing to let people know there's stuff on the way, but predictably people will raise their expectations too high and expect it too soon when you start talking about it.

But then this again comes back to other parts of the game, much simpler parts, not going anywhere in the meantime. If there were other incremental changes going on while we wait for major engine changes it would be easier for everyone.

Seven Smiles and patchedupdemon like this.
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't want that S397 tell us exact dates.
    If they do this, and they don't acomplish exactly, a lot of people here will begin to push them. As the time passes, they will fed up and lose interest in the project.
    A Road map isn't a calendar.

This doesn't mean that i don't want to have the performance update (there are a lot of people that can't use rF2 correctly with the latest tecnologies) an the new UI to take rF2 to another level.

20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Several users of the forum oppose :

- To inform on this or that release to come but without giving any information on the expected delivery period (really no, not even a small idea).

VS

- A date really very precise.

Damn, you live in the world of black and white or what ?

For a remote update, a quarter or a semester would be appropriate.
    The update approaching, S397 would indicate a more precise period, minimum with an accuracy of a month or two :
    The goal would not be that S397 is hanging around the neck, and why do you always say that users would be incorrect in case of delay ? Users are able to understand that there is a delay : but there should be a minimum of transparency on the part of S397 on what I mentioned above, because everyone can understand a delay : better a delay but a product without bug that the opposite.

lagg, Wanderer and Louis like this.