Released Introducing KartSim!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 29, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I don't know if this is part of your question, because i'm not on sure to have understand 100% (language barrier) :

What I can say is that karts that was in this DLC are based on real kart data (according to the statements of kartsim), as you know tracks are laser scanned (with a method very precise according to a person of the staff s397), and that the choice of rf2 as physics engine is not not a hasard : kartsim guys have deliberately wanted to use the physics aengine the most realistic of the market (rf2), and according to the statements of kartsim they are delighted.

This, it's the theory.
    Theory that suggests that the pack is excellent.

Then there is practice :
    Personally I have loved it.

I am delighted that other Kartsim things arrive, it's a wonderful new.

I hope too a powerful kart with gears.

Comante and Adrianstealth like this.
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

Loading times in rF2 depend mainly on CPU. I noticed that with a new CPU loading times went down a lot, it's one of the few areas where rF2 can actually scale well on many-core. SSD speed makes no difference. The only area where SSD helped was shortening of the "synchronizing with Steam workshop" phase.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Glad to hear that,I need to fit my ssd and hopefully it will bring down that syncing time,as it usually hangs quite a bit for the first time

4. filippu

filippu Registered

Regarding track building methods, I haven't seen a picture with the laser scan data. iRacing does it, Kunos does it, S397 does it, Sector 3 does it, rFpro does it, but not them ? It's clearly a selling point, as we can see people willing to buy a laser scanned turd, but they didn't promote that, as far as I'm aware.

And a few weeks earlier, Tuttle couldn't even tell if it was laser scanned or not.

Are there promo pics somewhere ?

5. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen Registered

1 minute and 20 seconds (measured) after first loading for i7-7700K. Private practise at Buckmore Park.

Edit: 1 min and 18 seconds precisely..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It is extremely unlikely that a company that seems serious, a professional simulation, lies on this topic. All finished by this knowledge.

I do not think the tracks are not laser. If they are not, one thing is certain, I have about 420 layouts on RF2, and none have so many irregularities on the road. Even the fictional tracks.

7. KittX

KittX Registered

where's FFord?

8. Emery

Emery Registered

He's probably thinking of USF2000, rather than classic FF1600.

chisco85 likes this.
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The third party content, rather than official stuff.

The gp2 mod isn't official either nor is GP3, but it's there.

Why do you need to see photos of laser scan development? I don't ask for companies to provide me with pictures of the CNC milling machine to prove its made by hand or whatever.

Emery likes this.
  10. Huub van Doremalen

Huub van Doremalen Registered

10 years ago we started using rFactor. We had to wait a couple of years before we had found a decent kart mod. But we did find it and are still using it today for practice for real karting. We know how to edit the physics if these are not exactly the same as the real kart we want to practice for in rFactor. We can build the track we want to practice on (if nobody else has done it already). And we are very happy with it.

So, knowing the difference between rFactor and the much more realistic rFactor 2, our expectations were high when trying this KartSim for rFactor 2. But we are disappointed. We don’t feel the much more realistic physics we were suspecting from rFactor 2. And the oversteer from the rental karts feels very unrealistic to us. Yes, the karts look very good, the sound is very good, but we are not using rFactor of rFactor 2 for good graphics and good sound, we want realistic physics.

I don’t understand how these physics can be the way they are now, people with real live karting experience helped creating them. So what goes wrong? Any ideas?

SPASKIS and UsedMomo like this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For me on the contrary the physics are the very big strong point of the DLC ....

There are 3 people on this forum who really know and very well the world of Kart, they expressed themselves on the realism of this mod :

They have explained with details and explaining their experiences that, precisely, physics are very convincing.

Of memory but I can be wrong, 2 nicknames are : "joekart" and "Devin": read their posts !!!!!!

12. KittX

KittX Registered

Yup I understand, but the only two FFords I knew so far were the awesome '73 from Dave Sabre, and a rip from NetKar.
    Is Dave's mod converted for rf2?

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Kartsim physics feel great to me, I did have to make some adjustments to the default setup though to make the kart
    more agile

certain real world karts can understeer & over steer way more than what I've experienced in kartsim so far
    -its down to how the karts are setup / tire state / track etc

Aryton Senna stated Karting is pure racing & he claimed it was the most enjoyable part of his career ,
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kartsim isn't a big hit maybe
    after optimisations & new UI are released ( I'm running everything off / min in VR for it to work )

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What karts do you use exactly and simulating in rF1?
    Maybe a setup-thing?
    Do you come from a professional background? If yes maybe try the pro-version (dont know if you can get a refund if you dont like it though)?

15. Avelino Trocola

Avelino Trocola Registered

Tracks are great, but rental Kart could be better in my opinion. I hope they fix it, I don't regret buying it though.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Buckmore Park scan, not sure if this is the point cloud used in Kartsim ?

elcoco and bwana like this.
  17. bwana

bwana Registered

Very nicely done gents. kart responds to set changes predictably, feel is very good and a hell a lot of fun.

elcoco and Adrianstealth like this.
  18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

This one

19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Any physics discussion without data and math is subjective. That said, thing is rF1 tire model is already flexible and powerful, so one shouldn't expect day/night difference in results going from rF1 to rF2 or iRacing. This is helpful read on tire models, it is biased, but still good read:http://www.virtualr.net/niels-heusinkveld-tires-in-race-simulations

What rF2 gives user above rF1 is tire damage, ie flat spots. Flat spots exist in F1 at least, having their simulation with open wheelers definitely adds depth to simulation. But those differences aside, it is definitely possible to have series poorly modeled in rF2 and great in rF1, but that won't mean much other than certain series modeled great or poorly, so just the platform alone doesn't decide series will be simulated accurately or not.

Emery likes this.
  20. Comante

Comante Registered

The problem, when doing things yourself is bias. It's quite normal to tweak things to suit our expectations about this or that specific aspect. You can achieve it very well, but with the same ease you can drift away from the overall picture. Without considering an even simpler answer : probably the kind of kart you simulate in RF1 is very different in chassis, tires, engine, and bla bla bla. Another simple answer is : if you are not into RF2 since "the beginning" there are chances that your settings are suboptimal in regard of wheel FFB and so on, because there is almost no literature avaiable, unless you spend months reading the old forums.