Released Introducing KartSim!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My wheel doesn’t seem to like being set to 187 degrees , it’s a pain to change the actual hardware setting for this

Will an rf2 update sync wheel ?
    I think it does for other cars doesn’t it ??

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Do you mean opening up your Bodnar software, typing in 187 in the Wheel angle box then clicking apply?
    I'm not being a smart arse but your whole post is a bit???

rF2 update to sync wheel? Do you mean the long awaited update?
    Have you got Vehicle Set ticked?

3. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen Registered

I don't know who is smart ass but I'll tell you how it works.

At first ISI motored sims are the only sims where automatic DOR feature does not work with every wheel. Not sure why it's made so clumsy but that's how it is.

Then there's the thing that rF2 is the only game I've ever played which is unable to Alt+Tab.

Third thing is that the loading times are ridiculously long in rF2.

These things combined makes adjusting DOR real pain in the ass. When you actually remember to check the DOR for the the car you're about to drive before hitting the race button, you only have to quit the game, set correct DOR for driver software and restart the game. That's how well it works in a most efficient way.

Every second time you forgot to check the car related DOR before hitting the race-button. Then you have to wait the whole 5 minutes loading time, check the steering lock, leave the track, quit the game, set degrees, restart the game, hit the race button, wait the 5 minutes again and finally after the 10 minutes you can hit the track.

I don't know is it smart-assish to expect that this is not how it should be done. :)

UsedMomo and Mibrandt like this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

My rf2 has longish load times only the first time I load rf2,syncing with steam can take a minute or so,and then another minute if I’m loading a track for the first time ever.
    If I quit rf2 then load it back up,having already loaded it before hand,it’s a lot faster,along with track loading times,way faster than iracing.
    But like I said,that first load time,can take longer than a minite

5. Avelino Trocola

Avelino Trocola Registered

Have you tried Windows key+D or ctrl+alt+supr --> task monitor to go back to desktop and change DOR?

6. oppolo

oppolo Registered

same here

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

or if u change shadow settings it can cause the long load

8. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Thank you! Win-Key + D is actually working.

About the loading times:

Ofcourse I was exaggerating a bit but when measured, private practice in VR-mode at Buckmore Park takes 1 minute and 20 seconds to load for i7 7700K, 2666MhZ DDR4, GTX 1080.

Similar task takes 24 seconds in AC, just to put things into perspective. That's 3x quicker.

I thought 30 seconds is considered to be the limit of reasonable loading time in games. I personally can stand longer too but well over a minute for private practice at very small footprint track sometimes gets my blood pressures raising. :p

9. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Gonna try that next time. Thank you.

The difference in long load times VS longer load times in RF2 are due to shader cache managed by the game itself I think.

Nvidia and AMD have shader cache in their drivers but as mentioned with RF2 the game seems to create a new cache every time you change a setting.

10. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

Same here, only game I could not alt+tab... Until someone suggested to run borderless window mode: I can alt+tab without any trouble and in game it looks the same. Only downside is that it probably costs some fps...

Sorry for the off topic but I thought it was worth mentioning if it saves you some time! :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Strange, I have no problem with Alt+Tab or Alt+Enter. It was an issue back in the ISI days but now I do it all the time.

12. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Might be VR related.

13. patchedupdemon

I too can’t alt tab out with triples,will try what others have suggested above

14. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

For the record, when there is an update to the game, or you change certain graphics settings, loading (the first track) takes considerably longer as we will be (re)compiling all shaders specifically for those settings. That only happens once though, the results of that compilation are saved to disk for subsequent loads and will only be updated if needed.

15. Avelino Trocola

Avelino Trocola Registered

Good to know, but it takes always long times to load, 6700k@4gz 7% oc, ddr4 3000, 512gb nvme, 55 seconds

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

All set up

1st impressions was kart seemed to tight to planted, dull experience not much depth to the simulated experience

Then I adjusted setup -lowered kart, reduced tire pressures & a few other tweaks ,
    Then the kart seemed to come more alive

I think the default ought to be the more agile / more alive as the dull default setup could put a new user off & they could quickly get refund

I’ll not need to pay for real world karting again (-:

I’ll buy future kartsim content too

having to run all rf2 graphic settings to off/low to try to maintain a decent VR experience , loading times are awful too
    -Roll on update -optimisations for VR & UI etc , I’ll start hosting then

Surprised no live populated kartsim servers not active people are missing a trick here, this pack will provide great fun close competitive racing
    & we know that everyone has same gear unlike hire places where the karts are not matched some faster than others etc

Its a firm buy & great value

PS load times around 1.5 minutes
    ( after first ), seems a long time my fastest SSD known to mankind is super fast on all else

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    pkelly likes this.
  17. patchedupdemon

I don’t get why folks consider 1minute load times as, a long time.
    What can you really achieve in that time,personally I think it’s fine,but that’s just my opinion

I mean just have a few sups of coffee,or rearrange the testies ready for driving

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

An improvement of the loading times of the game + the loading time of the circuits + the loading time of the garage :

This would be really very appreciable.

Especially when you play a lot like me, cumulative times are quickly excessive.

19. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Yeah, I agree.

Just give it an alt tab and read the news.
    Oh wait... /s

Sergio Loro likes this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Load times is not a deal breaker
    Just noticeable

Performance is -but we know this issue is being addressed
    Studio 397 are making all the right moves

This kartsim pack should be a real hit , just what rfactor2 needs , a pack of good tracks as part of a series , karting can provide great racing , hopefully few more tracks coming for kartsim pack