SOLVED Car modding problem

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by GerritdeV, Apr 8, 2018.

1. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

Hello all,new here but not totally new to modding.
    I'm working on this car,and wanted to see if i could get it into rf2 without too much hassle before finishing the 3d model,as this part will be the most time consuming for me,and I was right...I've got the car into rf 2,it drives and everything,but the tires,suspension,driver and steering wheel are floating in the air, I've wasted quite some hours on this trying to figure out what is going wrong now,checked pivot points etc etc. but I cant find what is wrong...do you guys have any idea what might be the issue??
    GRAB_277.JPG
    GRAB_276.JPG

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are the pivot points for each instance the same?

3. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

no,should they?

4. Coutie

Yes, everything in an instance need the same pivot point.

GerritdeV likes this.
  5. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

ohhh thanks alot,i will give that a go asap :)

6. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

Well.still the same problem,but when i crash into the wall and lose the tires,the ones that flew off are in the right position when returning to the pits,very odd...

7. Coutie

Have you reset xforms for everything? And are you sure everything in the instance has the same pivot, what your picture is showing looks like there is a pivot that is wrong. What I mean by instance is:
    Instance=COCKPIT
    {
    Moveable=True
    MeshFile=blabla.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(3) ShadowCaster=True Reflect=True
    MeshFile=bla.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False LODIn=(0) LODOut=(3) ShadowCaster=True Reflect=True
    }

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

And besides of that what coutie has said already.
    I suppose that you use 3dsmax for modeling the 3d right?
    When you export the gmt, have you checked the checkbox 'move' in the exporter rollout, for all the meshes that are in the instances of tires, spindles and steering wheel?
    All meshes that shall rotate around another pivot than 0,0,0, have to have checked that checkbox, to appear at the right position in game.

I forgot to say that you should also check if all parts that don't rotate, like the carbody, wings, cockpit and so on, have to have a pivot of 0,0,0.
    When i look at your picture, it could be that, for example the carbody has a pivot that is not 0,0,0.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What would it take to create a program for modelers that AUTOMATICALLY kept track of all the meshes, and pivots and vertices etc etc so all you had to do is import some shape and it gets placed CORRECTLY upon the virtual frame.....????

10. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

The nonrotating parts all have 0,0,0 pivot points, so i will check if move is checked. Thanks guys

11. GerritdeV

GerritdeV Registered

So,thanks to the sugestions here i was double checking the gen file, turned out i made a typo which screwed things up

Thanks again guys, now back to finishing the car model and get the eagle flying properly on track :D

Coutie likes this.