Changing wheel offset ingame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrada, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie I fear we're at risk of going in circles here. akai_fr is saying the car is difficult to control on the straights, but I don't think he (?) is expecting his wheel to be straight either.

I was saying it seemed ok, and I was pointing out that my wheel was to the right on the straights as expected but it wasn't difficult to control, or tiring.

I've realised he hasn't said what track he's at, and when I tried the rF2 Stockcar I loaded up Alabama Superspeedway, so I just tried Palm Springs Speedway (so Speedway config instead of Super Speedway) and my wheel is 10° to the right on the straights, and is more prone to wandering, but still isn't that difficult. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a few minutes doing laps.

I don't know what iRacing does with similar cars, or exactly what problem akai_fr is having (apart from what's already described), but it seems to me the rF2 car is fine.

2. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Hi guyz !
    I was on the Texas Oval track with the stock setup.
    The steering wheel is turned a bit on the right in straight ! sure no problem with that ^^.

We have made our Open race last night @ Texas. A driver that i don't know said that we had to put 20% on the speed sensitivity...

As my training was made under 0 speed sensitivity, i don't touch that.... but i don't know if it's an official Studio 397 advise for the Ovals series....

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@akai_fr It's a bit of a two-edged sword, as having speed sensitivity can give you more precision at high speed (wheel movements have less of an effect) but it means on the straights you need to turn more to the right (and more to the left again in the corners) which could make things seem harder. You can get used to just about anything with enough time of course.

For me speed sensitivity is a legacy setting that made some sense when consumer wheels were commonly limited to 240-270 degrees of rotation. You could still drive perfectly without it, but some people liked to give the wheel a good turn all the time and that just led to front tyre scrubbing at high speed. With decent wheels now I'd say leave it on 0.

Did you find the straights easier to manage with some more practice? I didn't find any undue instability with the speedway config (default setup).

4. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Thanks for your advice. My solution was to drive more "shaky" on the steering wheel... If you know what i mean ( english is not my native language)

5. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

When you see this kind of video....
    i can not say that the handling of the RF2 oval cars is normal...

or

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@akai_fr What's happening to you that isn't happening in those videos?

7. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

In the first video, look how he is cool on the steering wheel.

In the 2nd, we can see with how stability he comes out of a turn and go straight directly, sticked near the wall.

Things that i could do on iracing.. but not on rF2....

8. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

I have made a small video :

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@akai_fr It will push to the left and right like that if you press and then release the throttle. You shouldn't be doing that on the straights.

10. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Yes , i don't do that on the straights ^^, i was just showing how exaggerated this normal effect is.

maybe should i modify the setup... But i m too bad in that exercice lol.

Well, thank you for all your answers.

i have just bought a promotionnal 3 month iracing access in ordrer to test again after many years. And i stay on the same conclusion... Effect is normal, ok, but exaggerated. Maybe i had to modify my car setup.

see you ^^

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't race these, but given your issues I've tried a few times now. I didn't adjust the setup either. It would take a little time to get used to it, but it doesn't seem bad at all.

I watched your video with the sound off first, and thought something must be broken with your game. I jumped in and checked a few driving aids to see if they might make the car weave like that, but couldn't find anything. So was about to post saying something is wrong with your rF2 (because the car doesn't weave when I drive it) but then I watched your video again with sound and it made more sense.

I went back and checked, and yes, changing the throttle makes it push in a different direction. I also found that having strong FFB can make it harder to keep the car straight, so it would be best to not have it too high. But driving the way they drive in the real videos you posted above, I don't have any issues keeping the car under control.

12. akai_fr

akai_fr Registered

Yes, it's better with less FFB ! Thank you.
    I have tested the monster energy nascar mod and it's différent again ! Lol.

i have noticied that in iRacing the FFB is present when i want to keep the car in the turn, while in rF2 the FFB is present when i keep the car straight !

Where is the truth !?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You would expect a car that 'wants' to turn left would need to be held on the straights (so there will be force on the wheel to keep it going in a straight line). But it's hard to know without some actual reference.