AI blocking behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Intimidator, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Intimidator

Intimidator Registered

Hi, how can I make the AI blocking other cars a little less? At least in practice and qualifying. I have an aggressive setting of 45% and they try to prevent being passed all the time.
    But I also don‘t really want them to be less aggressive in overtaking. Even at 45% they are quite passive and defensive and hit the brakes on the straights behind a slower car instead of passing it.
    Is there a setting to adjust that?
    Thx in advance

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't think there is a way to effectively "turn off" blocking in Practice & Qualifying, as for the latter it's all about finding track space (as per real life) and making sure you get a clean run. I do acknowledge that it needs to be changed though (blocking in Prac/Qual that is), I'm currently in the process of writing up a big AI Wish List for Studio397 and will add this to it :)

As for the lack of proper slipstreaming and passing that has already made the list, some tracks (with better AIW) are ok in this regard but it I think it needs a proper look at under the hood so to speak. The only thing you can try is to turn aggression way up and see if that helps for now.

3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

marcg - ai wishlist - deja vu? :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The last one was for ISI ;)

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ah :)

you have my support for a better ai.. hopefully one that you can race and pit with in the wet ! o_O

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  6. Jerry Schuryk

Jerry Schuryk Registered

So when you speak of Blocking are you referring to taking a defensive line? I’ve not experienced AI actually blocking in any significant way.

Defensive lines in qualifying begs the question of what to do in a limited qualifying time if someone faster approaches from behind. Do you bail on your lap, that may be ‘fast’ for you? Or lose time to let a faster guy through?

Most of my live race experience has been in iRacing where lone qualifying is the norm so I really don’t know.

That being said, there is a lot that can be improved in the AI, as indicated above, even though I think it is the best AI of any modern sim.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1 - Yes it's a Defensive Line specifically created for the track, but it depends if the track author correctly applied a BLOCK path to the tracks AIW (that's the AI Lines or Paths) file, if not then you won't see the AI Block. Sometimes the BLOCK path isn't quite right depending on the Car/Mod being used so one car/mod may block more than another (also depending on Aggression/Strength I've found). 99% of ISI/Studio397 tracks have a BLOCK path, easy way to find out is to set the AI Strength really low then closely follow them down a long straight and gently move to overtake and you'll see them Block you, most good Mod tracks have it as well.

2 - If you're on a flying/hot lap in Qualifying then you ignore the car behind and concentrate on your own lap, it's up to the guy behind to find track space in order to get a clean run. The same you would do when Qualifying, you don't wanna be stuck behind someone especially if Qualifying Laps/Time is limited. (I refer to Humans with that, as further up the thread the AI need some work in this area)

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Visit your player.json:
    Other settings can be done in the track aiw file (AIDraftStickiness) and in the mod hdv`s, ([BODYAERO]) but must be done by the creator or needs a repackaging.

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I find in practice and qualifying the faster cars will just follow slower cars. Happens most in mods that have talent files.

Might try the logic override and see what that does, or give the AI 100+ laps in qualifying over the course of a few hours in the hope they all find themselves in clean air at some point.

10. MetalMania

MetalMania Registered

What has enraged me with AI blocking behavior is (besides they do it ALL the time, regardless what session it is), I'll be already 2/3rds of the way along side them heading into a braking zone, and THEN they move over - driving into the side of me. Often it causes me to crash, but they keep going as if they're combat tanks unaffected by the impact. If they moved over in a proper defensive maneuver, BEFORE I was next to them, I'd be more accepting of it.

On the other hand, I somewhat expect it, unlike the completely inexplicable things I've seen in iRacing sessions in the rookie and "D" leagues I'm currently in.

11. Intimidator

Intimidator Registered

btw rf2 crashes when you share a car for endurance races with AI and you try to take over during a pitstop! Did someone else made the same experience? I have tried it on several tracks. No problem on the in- or out-lap. But while refuling or tirechange my pc crashes completely. And I definitely can‘t imagine a hardware issue to be honest. Maybe that is something to improve for future builds.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  12. Intimidator

Intimidator Registered

Blocking would be okay in the final quarter of the race, but not all the time in every session.