Moving From VR (Rift) Back to Triples. Need Help with Monitor Choice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClintW, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

520mm... jeez, that's pretty close lol

Well, I guess for me that would be right above the wheel motor, I could just about touch the screen if I straightened my fingers on the wheel... but I suppose if you're maximising FOV for a given screen size that's exactly what you'd want. So a 24 that close doesn't give you the rearview? Interesting.

S397 have just said they're looking into performance, so hopefully that variation between min and max will reduce in future. And hopefully towards the upper end :D

2. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Yep, the monitor's end up being 150mm from the back of my wheel rim, within fingers reach. I can see the bottom half of most review mirrors and the top 1/2 - 2/3rd of the car dash display, depending on the car. The monitors are sitting just above the top of my wheelbase which I find ok. The whole thing feels pretty good at the moment.

It would be great if s397 could improve performance, but im aware there is more in game graphical dynamics happening in rfactor over iracing. ie, rain.

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Hi, I have a question regarding monitors' resoution:

Is it possible to have different (lower) resolution for side monitors with one GPU? Or is it possible but with two video cards?
    That would be great if you don't have top end GPU, especially considering resolution is not important for peripheral vision, so it could be much lower that for central monitor.

Also maybe it's just me, but I don't see much difference between 1900x1200 vs 1440p. I definitely prefer to have constant 60+ FPS.

4. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    If I remember right
    The gpu will run the lower/native res across the 3 monitors.
    It can not run 2 different res on different monitors.

Ruben

avenger82 likes this.
  5. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Quick update for those interested...

After weeks/months of research and testing, i dropped some cash on three Lenovo y27g RE monitors. Specs are...27" 1920x1080 144hz G-Sync 4ms curved!

For me, these seemed to be well priced for my needs which is 90% sim racing. I got 3 of them for just over $1500aud shipped through Amazon Australia. So i met budget.

I plan to post some updates on my experience with these as they relate to sim racing. ie, resolution, response time, g-sync vs no g-sync etc.

Unfortunately and for some strange reason, while I ordered them all together, they are arriving separately so I have two now and am just waiting for the third :rolleyes:. I have hooked up the two I have, which I'm using now. I'm happy with them so far for general use.

My updates may be slow because we are also renovating the room my rig sits in atm...

Thanks everyone for your help...I finally made a decision!

Ari Antero and Lazza like this.
  6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I hope you enjoy your new curvy bits.
    It's good to see they supply Display Port cables with them.
    It's not good to see they claim to supply VGA cables when the monitors only have DP and HDMI inputs. o_O

Well it was just over a month ago I said, back on page 2, I planned to move my side monitors to 60° from 45°.
    I got the job done a few days ago. :cool:
    Some careful and patient time was spent marking out the 4 new holes needed on my aluminium brackets, then some rough and rushed cutting and filing of the brackets to reduce a corner for clearance.
    Did my first race last night and, as expected, there was no big, wooooow :eek: moment.
    What is good is the extra vision to the sides. Easier to see the side mirrors and of coarse those pesky quick people flying past.

7. ClintW

ClintW Registered

Ha, I like your last sentence ADSTA, I get those a lot too!

I've got mine setup at 570mm from my face with the side at 40 degrees. When you say 60 degrees does that mean they are now "tighter" towards you or further away?

My initial experiences with my new triple are fantastic! I feel I can race just as well with this new setup as I was with VR. I'll be putting the rift up for sale now I feel good about my decision. I think the combination of 27 inch, g-sync, and high hz makes all the difference over my previous setups and I really am enjoying seeing all my stuff, albeit looking very ghetto at the moment!

ADSTA likes this.
  8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yes Clint, the side monitors are closer to me.
    I didn't move my middle monitor, that's still 650mm away.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA I'm not sure I follow. Did you only move your side screens? Or did you make an adjustment to FOV in the game?

*Oops, sorry, I think I've overlooked the in-game config tool. It adjusts the side screen rendering to suit the new screen position I guess? That would make sense...

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Both Lazza. First thing I did in game was to bring up the triple screen config and change the angles..

11. Tom smith

Tom smith Registered

Can you run a 35monitor in the middle and 2 X 27 on the side? Just wondering for my own information

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The triple screen adjustment tool in the game lets you adjust screen width and height, eye distance, angle, and bezel gap, for each screen. What's lacking there is vertical adjustment (plus rotation etc, but rare for a game to be fully customisable - something rF2 will hopefully one day change, but I digress). So if you have your side screens centered vertically on the main one, it might work. I'm not sure if there are any limits to the adjustment that might stop it working, but it seems feasible.

This assumes you run the same resolution on each screen, though it may be possible to view only part of a larger image on various screens with an extra performance hit (I think AMD eyefinity does this, nVidia I'm not too sure).