Latest Roadmap Update - February 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Reads like an admission of guilt Black G . Hardly a personal attack ,if that’s an insult than ban me from the forum and leave a banned member continue on , either way l will still race rf2 and will buy DLC’s to support S397 . All without attacking the same people who bring this sim to us at any chance.

patchedupdemon and MarcG like this.
  2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You forgot VR support, but arguably that is one part of DX11 support. I would say compared to the features we set out to build when we took over, it is fair to say that actually none have been totally finished. And as usual you can either see that as a good or a bad thing.

DX11 support we extended way beyond our initial intentions, which were to simply support the DX11 API and use that to implement VR to future proof rFactor 2. We chose to go far beyond our initial goals here, adding extensive post effects, fixing a large number of smaller and bigger annoyances and implementing an extensive dynamic rain system that I will argue is one of the best in the business. At the same time we are currently undertaking a big effort to improve performance and besides the fact that all those new features obviously give the graphics engine more to do, I think we will eventually end up with an engine that is significantly faster than the DX9 engine we started out with. And we won't stop there either, but it's too early to go into detail.

MoTeC support has not been a very high priority for us, which is why it is taking longer. How much? We're not sure yet, but I am personally confident we will see that in 2018.

Radio chat and a more advanced spotter is something we wanted to do as we felt it was lacking. However, I must say at Studio 397 we were all very impressed by Crew Chief and what it has to offer (which is pretty much everything we wanted to do). Therefore we put that development on hold and at the moment I see no reason for us to continue it.

Competition and the new UI are big projects. Bigger than I initially anticipated. They have not been stopped, nor have resources been taken off these projects last year. They just proved to be more work than we thought and although our beta testers have seen several iterations of the UI already (alpha versions) we are still testing, changing and extending it as we are not yet totally satisfied. As for the competition, starting with last year's WFG and more recently some hotlap competitions, we have started to show and use parts of it. We're far from done and quite ambitious in this area, but expect more updates to become available around the summer.

All in all I think both our content team and our software developers have been doing great things so far. Not all of it is immediately visible, and we still have a lot of things that need to be improved, but I am very optimistic about our future!

RaceNut, Dookie, Daytona 675 and 49 others like this.
  3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I prefer a car with original data, suspension geometry, and so on. The mod has nothing to do with the original car, all setup data from damper to spring and anti rollbar are the same like darche, venom and so on. The whole EGT mod is based on a single physics plattform with some tweaking, not more. So yeah the S397Corvette is really welcome for me.

Nitrometh, misi, F1 2004 and 2 others like this.
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I agree but I have all AC DLC due to the price being quite reasonable compared to minimum rF2 DLC due to the price being quite expensive.
    I feel S397 should reconsider their pricing scheme, more sales at a lower $ will equal more than less sales and higher $.
    I'd be interested to know how many rF2 owners have paid for the DLC's?

Fremen78 and Louis like this.
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Isn't there only two with this?

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

...on the other side of things...AC has more customers/users than rF2 so they aim to quantity for their revenue and can sell cheaper DLCs...rF2 has a good base too but smaller compared to AC and S397 can't go for low prices like them...
    I see rF2 like a flight simulator...a very complex one with pricey stuff...something will let you feel part of an elite of gamers...like Arma, Dcs, etc etc

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You completely missed my point but anyway. It's pretty obvious that you don't have all people working on the HUD and then after that you start working on the UI when everything is interconnected with each other. But I am sure you know that allready, aswell as that you have to work on stuff simultaniously. The reason why the UI takes as long as it does has been discussed to death and it should be pretty clear by now that it is not done within five minutes when you build it with everything else around it in mind.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Maybe if people saw rF2 for its quality and weren't put off by its higher cost there might be more of a user base.
    I play all atm and frequent all their forums and see a lot of the same people on there, but even with rF2's better Sim qualities a lot seem to stay on the others due to the lack of content and price of said content.
    I will get all rF2 DLC but will be waiting till it's complete and full series or at least close to complete.

9. Louis

Louis Registered

s397 should aim the manly audience and only made historical f1 DLCs. Let the other series for the fancy simcades :D

David Kolody likes this.
  10. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Any chance that some of the long standing issues with oval racing rules, oval racing AI, etc are being worked on and will see any improvements in the near future? I can’t help but feel there are some areas that should have seen some improvements by now that just keep being pushed back over and over again.

11. lagg

lagg Registered

I'm happy with the work of S397.
    I'd like that things would be different but the reality is what it is.
    Imo, S397 has implemented DX11 to allow rF2 to be a modern game. They've included the VR, the new ambient light system an the new rain system.
    Now rF2 looks different. It looks a more modern game.
    But they need to change the situation to make it profitable. They need to increase the number of users. And the way to get it, is the competition system and a modern UI. But if they launch both and these don't work propperly, i think that it'll be very difficult to change the situation.
    Improve the performance will help too.
    If they find a bug that can affect to the new system, they are going to solve it. They are not going to take any risk, because the consecuences would be bery bad. They need to to change the perception of the people about rF2, and it's very difficult. But it's the way to atract new users.
    But in the meantime they need incomings, and the DLC are a good way to earn some money.
    I'm going to buy the DLCs. It's possible that i don't use them, but i'm going to support S397, because they have believed in the rF2 engine.
    And it's possible that one day we'll have a "finished" rF2.

andrea_274, Fremen78, John and 3 others like this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Any laser scanned track = instant buy from me !

Schumi likes this.
  13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

This is well over due but might I also suggest the cars mostly be remapped. A lot of them a bad to worse, even the newer GT3 pack cars aren't as good as they could be though at least work able unlike a number of the older ones.

And be aware. We all don't use a Photoshop! Adding unworkable feature outside this program is as worthless as no templates at all. I personally have reworked and rebuild many templates over time to make them more Paintshop Pro and Gimp friendly. I've had 20 years experience with this so I can get it done quite quick but not everyone has this to full back on.

14. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Agree with daredbarn, I've worked on some projects regarding the stock cars but the small issues around the oval racing discourages working as much as I would like. I think we'll most likely be waiting as Fallston and Soapstone were shown in back in June 2016 and I'm not sure when those rules will be implemented. I still appreciate the efforts of 397 but I have been doing oval racing elsewhere offline.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Who ever lives in a land where everything is free

Let me know I’m going there (-:

patchedupdemon likes this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

... to buy the land and start charging
    Because, judging by your signature, money is far to be a problem :D

17. Paulo Silva

Paulo Silva Registered

Congratulations to the S397 for the great work that has been done, I hope a lot for the improvements that are being worked on, I see that there are a lot of old things to improve but the simulator is fantastic as I see it for a casual user. again I say I will pay for the content to help even if I do not use it because I want to see the simulator where it deserves. Forum people who am I to talk to, but already speaking. I see many criticizing the project mentioned, dlc, tracks, projects and bugs unresolved, logical that we should complain about such why we pay for the product, and when we buy a product we always want the best. but making non-constructive criticism is not going to get anywhere, let's complain but with awareness of what we say, in my opinion pay dlc pro Rfactor2 is nothing more than encourage development, the S397 bought a car that was already getting outdated, they has the labor but does not have the necessary resources to make the reform. so they sell candy, juice, wafer to make lace and remodel the precious car that is it! without recourse, without future.
    If there are errors I apologize it's the google translator's fault.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And the Nascar folks will say F1 should get stuffed. The GT crowd will carp about any development NOT filling out the huge number of GT3/GTE/GT etc fields. Champcar, Indycar, Rallye, Ecars(& Etracks!) & Karts...there are users for each that have no interest in spindly, buzzy, no windshield Wipered cars that are so performance unbalanced you could make two cars for almost any year and stand a good chance of leaving the rest of the pathetically underfunded squads in the teeny tiny rear view mirrors.
    I'm not slamming F1 Louis...just pointing out there are many users here with many levels of interest.
    (oh and btw...when the Schumacher years are covered, can I get a RED Ferrari? Not an Orange/Red Marlboro tainted Prancing Horse?)

19. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

What a coincidence, I too visited Sebring last month and laserscanned it...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  20. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

rF2 is far and above my favourite sim to drive and has probably given me 1000+ hours of track time. I will gladly support the development of the core by purchasing future DLCs. The devs need to eat.