Assetto corsa ,,,,

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Kek700, Sep 30, 2015.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

If they aren't extending their number of track artists, the track output will be as fast as it was with AC, or even slower. UE4 doesn't make track building any faster, though the end result should usualy be better. Reading some comments from the devs it seems that the compiling process takes very long, so for some minor tweaks there could be huge processing times required. Seems like they really need to get their stuff right from the beginning as patching won't be as fast as it was with AC. And as I am reading this, they will limit their stuff to the Blancpain GT series for now anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if modding gets no support this time tbh, so that they keep the competition simple and structured. There is certainly alot to be gained with that racing game, but I am sceptical that they will meet all the expectations. One of the biggest problems I see so far is that the AI was a very big weakpoint so far so why should it be different now. So that leaves MP only wich could get either boring at some point as it is just GT3s for the start and from my experience with online racing on GT3 servers in AC it wasn't enjoyable at all. And implementing netcode isn't as easy as it seems with UE4. You need alot of understanding on how to properly transfere all the blueprint stuff to code. However this turns out, I will give it a bit of time to see some reactions or maybe they release a demo.

David Kolody likes this.
  2. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Everyone in this forum probably already know al. the principles about this but I thought the reason why there is not much tracks is because as they are scans, kunos need to sell them as dlc. And if they had a lot of dlcs tracks competing with each other they would not be reaching its profit potential.

And there is a lot of cars because theyre individually cheaper and the game uses an empirical tyre model making it faster to make a bunch of cars.

At least on the PDF Heusinkveld released about RF1 vs RF2 he says the big advantage is control and iteration that takes only minutes.

3. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Finally someone listen to community. ACC is promising:
    - 24 hours cycle
    - wet / dry races and its transition
    - complete racing series (it's not something like WEC, but still)

No more pointless and crazy grids (i.e. 24 Ferraris F1 2017) or hot lap simulator either, but a simulator with objectives to accomplish. It's ridiculous to realize the last complete product like this was Simbim GTR2.

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Not really. AMS and Race 07 offered or still offer the same aswell, but it seems that this didn't help those titles to be a huge success and in some aspects they were certainly alot better package compared to GTR2. What we see now, is a big hype due to it looking sexy (UE4 OHHH Maa Gaawwd!!!11) and due to the fact that Kunos is involved and we all know how the sim racing community percieved AC despite it's simplicity. People go nuts nowadays when a sim is presented well in first place, has the right high profile lisences tagged to it and when they can drift every car and don't struggle to complete a lap. Everything else comes secondary. This sim will be a big success due to those things right from the start and just reading the media outlet from their home page, wich is pretty ridiciolous btw for any simracer with some common sense, I allready know for wich target group they are aiming. It reads like the same bullsh*t from SMS or Codemasters.

What people often forget is that those titles, that we consider as complete packages and very good today, were complete financial failures or atleast mediocre when we meassure them in the grand scheme of this genre. So as often as we twist this to fit our argumentation, a complete racing series is not a garantue that a game will be percieved well. May it be AMS, GTR2, the WTCC games or simply GPL. Did I mention RBR wich is considered to be the best rallye sim but doesn't stand a chance against the likes of Dirt. rF2 could offer a full series, but people still wouldn't care. Technicaly speaking AMS is the best modern package you can get, but people still prefere AC. Sophisticated sims are out, simple as that :)

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

lol AMS is best "complete package" offers what... Stock Car Brasil, Marcas, F3 Brasil.. not even us Brazilians watch these series... let alone people outside the country. Let's not even get into the graphics, 32bit limitation, buggy shadow system (that makes using 24h cycle a russian roulette) all issues that nowadays should have been solved already.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's anyone's guess as to how well ACC (I keep wanting to call it AC/DC!) will do in the long run seeing as it's a set in stone series, unlike AC of course. What I do see is more attention to the specific areas included within the real Blancpain, that can't be bad all round but obviously the proof will be in the Early Access.

AI has been mentioned above, to be fair to Kunos they made huge ground in this area with the final patches to AC. Sure it's not up to RF2 standards in my view but it's certainly raceable, the good thing about ten dedicated tracks is they can fine tune the AI to those tracks and only have the Blancpain cars to focus on...instead of 100+ randomised others!

7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

All the things you mention, especialy the graphics and their problems weren't any different with GTR2 and it is pretty clear that AMS looks tons better running the same graphics engine than GTR2. Or do you think that racing at night in GTR2 looked good or that it ran with 64 bit support? That you aren't interested in Stock Car Brazil is a completely different topic. AMS offers a full series with rules and alot more content besides that one single series, even with fitting tracks and rulesets. If you can't see that, then I am sorry. To think that GTR2 was the last complete package is delusional. What was so much different with GTR2? The pixelated cutscenes? Better menu music? The driving school? The unaware cheating AI? Maybe the rain, but even that was halfbaken compared to other racing games featuring rain. Sorry, but people look at this game through their rose tinted glasses.

It is clear that a fully lisenced GT3 series game with (mostly boring) FIA tracks will sell better than a game about some Brazilian niche Motorsport series - but that isn't really my point or argument and I even underlined that in my post. :)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

rF2 has the potential to put AC and any other software in the pocket, they only need time and do things right, i'm sure rF2 will become the #1 simulator...

patchedupdemon likes this.
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't think that'll happen unless they offer exotic car brands presented in UE4 :)

10. filippu

filippu Registered

They had the chance to go for UE4, and decided it wasn't a good idea.
    Result ? Graphics that don't look too bad, but not on par with competitors, plagued with performance issues. The competitors that chose that route, instead of putting lipstick on a pig, are spending their resources on refining their stuff.
    And the general presentation of rF2 isn't great.

Louis, Guimengo and UsedMomo like this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Idk if you are serious :D GTR2 was made many years ago when these limitations were almost rules, and for that time it was top notch.
    Content in the "complete package" matters to me. Brazilian series may have been a nice start for Reiza but even the guys there noticed they have to go for other targets if they wanna make it sell more ;)
    AMS is a great game but you shouldn't nowadays have to kick people out if you have more than 25 cars to race in some series because your game crashes due to the 32bit limitation, or be forced to turn off time progress because people may have issues with the shadows even when they have a NASA computer, hard to call this "best" in my book.
    No offense to Reiza, they did what they could and the result is decent.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  12. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I forgot RACE07/GTR EVOLUTION indeed, it's a sort of GTR2 sequel.

I like AMS but it's too raw, almost an rF1 with some few shaders added and the support to single player is as bad as rF1 used to be. And, as told above, *.exe 32 bits + 2005 GFX engine with poor shadows implementation produces an outdated product.

Actually I don't like AC as it is, the fact of Kunos is developing ACC is more a reason to concerning than for hype but they're promising something that appears to be complete package as the simulators used to be 10 years ago. Let's see what they'll deliver, but I liked the approach. The DLC philosophy urgently needs to be reshaped for complete car packages + tracks in a way you can buy an entire championship to race instead of loose stupid cars alone with no correlation to the rest of your content.

Louis, Will Mazeo and Guimengo like this.
  13. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

RF2 has already had a long time to do things right. It was released back in 2013. So serious question. When do you see this happening? RF2 putting AC and the other competetion in the pocket? 1 year from now? 3 years? Another 5 years?

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Eh? You do realise Studio397 only took over in 2016 right?

Rui Santos and patchedupdemon like this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I wish they'd go for the "Experience" packs in RR style... and then they bring a PWC license you dont pay again for the cars you already have, if they license the WTCC you wont pay again for the tracks you got in the Blancpain GT pack, and so on.

ECAR_Tracks and The Iron Wolf like this.
  16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Refining their stuff? For me it is just different developers spending their ressources and struggling in different areas. When SMS and Kunos are "just" refining their stuff and selling those refinements to people who are actually willed to pay for basics and patches that should have been in the base games, then why has it been such a big issue for those developers to implement somewhat decent rulesets and acceptable AI with the cashflow and manpower they got, just as an example? Those developers are struggling with those issues as long as ISI or S397 struggling to implement a decent graphics engine while keeping content backwards compatible, wich is a big strength in my book and not "paiting lipstick on a pig". Good thing for me as a rF2 cosutomer: I don't have to pay for those refinements and invest in a completely new game that catches dust on my hardrive. That's called sustainability and actually very userfriendly. But other people seem to see that different :)

The Iron Wolf and David Kolody like this.
  17. filippu

filippu Registered

January 2012, I paid 65€ for a beta "lifetime" game. I loved rF1 and thought rF2 would be the same. My mistake.
    What would you rather have :
    - pay once 65€ an unfinished game, still not really good 6 years later
    - buy a good game in 2012 30-40€, and then the as-good sequel 30-40€ say in 2017 ?

The former, yeah it's nice, it's still developped, you think you had a good deal. The latter, you have a game you can enjoy from the get go for 5 years, then you buy the sequel that you can enjoy from the get go for 5 more years. I'd rather pay 80€ for something I can enjoy rather than throw away 65€ (or even the current 30€) for something that still has issues. But it's probably just me.
    Man, I miss the rF1 days.

ECAR_Tracks, Louis and UsedMomo like this.
  18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can see why people hark on about rf2 being a failed project etc,but that was under a different owner,we all know that development for what ever reason stalled or never really happened.
    But now is the time to wipe that crap out of your mind,rf2 is under new ownership and from what I can tell,has had a good deal of development in the right areas by a team that knows what’s wrong and knows where to start to put things right,and rf2 already has the base core package to indeed put all sims in their pocket.

Let’s all just see what the next year or two brings before writing off this era of rf2,before we get the pitch forks out

kimbo and Rui Santos like this.
  19. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes but thats not very relevant to my question. S397 Seem to struggle with this software as well. Performance is bad. According to august 2017 roadmap UI was close to public beta. Where is it? How does it even look? Releases are not polished imo. GT3 pack.... first ever paid DLC. Almost No skins and terrible performance. 5 months later still the same.

So im just very curious about the ones who still believe RF2 will be the dominant sim. Roughly when do you expect that to happen? Legit question

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ahhh I'm with you and in part agree with what you're getting at, personally the UI is worth the wait to get it right so I'm fine with the "delay".

As for the other areas I know what you mean but it's pointless repeating my reservations again, I'll happily wait for Studio397 to take their time but I just hope they've learnt from previous issues.

Rui Santos likes this.