Sim racing gear maintenance

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Louis, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Louis

Louis Registered

I was hoping to find a lot of information on google on this subject but maybe for a poor or wrong choice of words, few relevant results were found.
    So, how do you maintain steering wheels and pedals?

A lot of squeeks sounds here after a long period resting

2. Louis

Louis Registered

wd-40-uses.jpg
    A friend tell me to spray this product in all my pedals. But i´m not sure is it is good with eltronic parts, rubber, etc...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. Louis

Louis Registered

4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

This is me when i open my G27 pedals

[​IMG]

Just a sweep once a week when i see dust outside.

WD40 is the god of the sprays, i used it when i was in the RC cars world, but only for mechanical parts, i don't think is good for other purposes

Louis likes this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I never cleaned my DFGT (that I bought used btw almost 3 years ago) :D
    I just got a plastic bag big enough to keep it there when not using, it helps a lot to keep the dust out. And drive with clean feet too

Louis likes this.
  6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Wearing 'shoes' keep lint out of the pedals.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

WD40 was designed to be a water displacement (hence the name) material and a penetrating oil.
    If you have ever had water in the distributor cap of your car, WD40 is what you use to .....yes, displace the water.
    Rusty nut and bolt, the oil in WD40 will penetrate in and break down the rust.
    As a lubricant, for a short term fix it will do but there are other products that will work better and last longer.

Would I use it on my sim gear? No, never, not a chance.
    You should always see what the manufacturer recommends for lubrication and maintenance first.
    If they don't have any recommendations 1, chances are they don't want you to maintain it in the hope it will, after the warranty expires, need repair or replacement that they will charge you for. 2, see if another manufacturer of a similar product has some info.
    Some lubricants can actually be more harmful than helpful in certain situations because grit, dirt etc will stick to it.

One good way, if practical, for keeping pedals clean is to mount them inverted.
    All your lovely dead foot skin and other nasties will infest your floor and not your pedals.
    I cover my cockpit with an old bed sheet or quilt cover when not in use.

If you have a nice new Momo etc suede wheel make sure you get a suede brush and get into the habit of using it regularly to avoid the suede from flattening down and looking awful.
    I also wear a pair of small fingertip-less leather gloves to stop the sweat and skin oils contaminating the suede rim.

If the old G25/7 pedal potentiometers are playing up, get a can of electrical contact point cleaner and spray it in the little hole of the pot while turning the shaft. Let gravity drain out the fluid and let it dry which won't take long.
    That should make the pots give out a smooth signal for a while longer but the pots will eventually die a natural and expected death.

On that sad note, goodnight.

Emery, Marcel Offermans and bwana like this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

Thanks @ADSTA . i cant remember the recomends of the manufacturer for my gear (my g27 is going to make 7 years old this year, my fanatech pedals must have about 2 years and my thrs8 something shifter is about 3 or 4 years)
    In fact i can only know for sure about my g27 wheel. Others i have to research about. And i know because of this:
    Encomenda+de+Serginho+10.jpg

Indeed there was some manufcturers tips for cleaning. I remember the pedal become with some oil but have no idea where it is. But you gave me a good idea, instead looking for generic word like "sim racing gear", shearch for the products names
    My rig looks like a frankestein. Almost all done by me, part of metal, part of wood, part good hardware, part bad... In a storm if my house got hit by lighting , i will become alive
    Cheers

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Last time I cleaned my G27 pots the contact cleaner by itself wasn't giving great results. I ended up using both it and WD40 and then they were sweet. Probably just a short reprieve and likely accelerated their impending death, but then I got a new wheel & pedals so who cares :)

Metallic squeaks I'd clean/wipe off and put grease on there.

Louis likes this.
  10. Louis

Louis Registered

I´m afraid to mess with my g27. Its too old, it isn´t easy to find wheel at reasonable prices in Brasil plus im short of money lately. Like people say: If it ain't broke, don't fix it

11. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Personnal experience with WD40 (or similar product) in the Logitech pedals : it dried out the mecanism and the spring finished to break :(
    So if you use that, don't forget to put grease !

bwana and Louis like this.
  12. Louis

Louis Registered

13. bwana

bwana Registered

Exactly , it ruins lunricants , use silicon spray and wipe of any risidule.ps good from stopping the shrimp eating your mozzarella when imitating bardi grubs whilst fishing for Murray cod

ADSTA likes this.
  14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Didn't know Murray cod were partial to silicon spray, I suppose the bigger brutes need any help they can get to slide through the water easier. ;)

15. bwana

bwana Registered

nah ,they like WD 40 or at least the shrimp don't so they don't eat your bait ;)

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The best lubricant I’ve found so far is a dry ptfe spray,it doesn’t leave a sticky residue for fluff and stuff to stick to

Anyone who owns fanatic pedals know they are a nightmare for squeaking,I tried what fanatec suggested and many other greases and lubricants,but dry ptfe is the best solution so far

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  17. Louis

Louis Registered

I still have some lubricant that came with the pedals but my main issue is where to aply because what people already said about rubber, dust, eletric parts...
    I think this video will help me

18. Louis

Louis Registered

Well, not really. Amazing i cannot find any youtuber doing something like this. Only install mods, disassembly...

edit: found one better

This cockpit is awesome

19. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I threw that supplied grease out after I first used it,it’s horrible,it’s like a magnet for crap to stick to lol

To get rid of the squeaking I put some dry ptfe on the pivot points (either side of the bottom of the pedals)where each pedal connects to the bar on the baseplate.
    Also spray some into the ends of The springs.

That usually gets all the squeaks sorted,and the ptfe doesn’t need wiping off before you next apply some,it’s great

SRGP and Louis like this.