Starting fresh !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Feb 14, 2018.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I am having issues getting VR to run smoothly and without 3-4 second freezes so am wanting to delete everything and only have default content .
    Do i need to go to Steam and unsub to all content then delete some files .
    I want just the default cars and tracks and start a new rf2 .
    How is the easiest way please ?

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thats a big thread , do you know where it explains how to make a fresh install with no mods ?

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Uninstalling rF2 seems the best option to me.
    Later manually unsuscribe from official and 3rd party workshop content despite I don't understand why you would want that. Maybe 3rd party...

You might want to backup packages, replays, setups, skins... first.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've uninstalled rF2 and unsubbed to lots of content, i find it too messy when trying to select Ai opponents as some cars have odd naming in that section of the UI and just want content that is setup like S397 have done to keep it all uniform and also hoping that with less stuff I may get better performance because maybe some content just isn't optimized.
    But I did copy my packages folder and will be adding content as i go and eliminating the "bad" for lack of better term.
    It's gone from over 110GB to 72 GB, lol

6. Jerry Schuryk

Jerry Schuryk Registered

Read through the thread...i don't think uninstalling and reinstalling will necessarily help, but there are many things listed in that thread that will. Deleting cbash and shaders for one (and those may be preserved during a 'normal' uninstall). Having content on disk normally shouldn't cause slowdowns once in the game, but certain content is definitely more intensive to actually run.

Although you have a relatively powerfull system, you still can't run VR with high settings and lots of AI so make sure you scale back both. Apparently performance improvements are on they way.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well after I copied my Package folder i deleted and uninstall everything rF2 related amd reinstalled and unsubbed from quite a bit.
    Before doing this I couldn't play in VR because it would freeze for seconds at a time and the screen would blink along with bad stutters, now after reinstalling and adding a few vital mods the game had some shadow issues but after @dadaboomda told me to delete Shaders and CBash "after" my adjustment the game runs almost perfectly without the freezes and blinking screen with a nearly solid 90 FPS with Max ingame, AAx4 and PP Low.
    Something was definitely amiss with my install.
    Next im going to try add some SS and try for a clearer picture.
    Just to be clear before my clean install I had deleted the CBash and Shader files.

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I know I could get a 7700k (8700k and new mobo) and faster RAM, would that really help rF2 in VR?

9. Jerry Schuryk

Jerry Schuryk Registered

I went from an I7 4700k (oc to about 4.0GHz) to a new mb with DDR 4 and i5 8600k (no OC...yet). Kept the same 1070 video card and oculus rift....RF2 went from barely playable (I would choose AC or iRacing most times I played) to awesome (I’ve played no other racing game for weeks...except one PC2 session to test patch 1.4 - still too many problems with it as far as I can tell).

You aren’t in quite the same boat, but the 8600 appears to be about 20% faster than your existing setup according to the cpu benchmark sites. How exactly this will manifest itself in RF2 I can’t say more than my experience above. It may have been the best $800 I’ve spent in a long time.

I can’t wait to see the performance improvements coming soon...RF2 is so much better than everything else out there when it runs well.

Jerry

FYI thanks for the info on reinstalling. I wouldn’t have expected that but will remember it in the future.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is bit unclear which I7 4700k you had but your claim above is placebo if you had I7 4790k or I7 4770k and most likely pure performance in rF2 was caused by user who could not maintain OS/BIOS or MOBO and RAM was not pair with I7 47XXk.o_O
    I have done many benchmarks I7 8700k@ 4,8GHz, DDR4 4133MHz vs I7 4770k@ 4,8GHz, DDR3 2666MHz in rF2.
    I7 8700k has 8% better maximum and 23% better minimum FPS in rFactor2. If you have I7 4790k or I7 4770k with good MOBO and RAM it is not worth to spend over 1000 EURO to update to I7 8700k or spend $800 and upgrade to i5 8600k.:rolleyes:
    My advise to everybody is that when Next time when you next time upgrade your system remember that good fast RAM and lot of it, good MOBO and good PSU is never overkill.;)
    PassMark CPU Mark Single Thread Performance, I7 4790k > 2,530, I5 8600k > 2,513 :cool:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    :)

2ndLastJedi and andrea_274 like this.
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

So for me you would recommend 3000MHz 16GB instead of my 16GB 2133 OC'd to 2400MHz instead of 7700k?
    My mobo is z170 ASRock Extreme4.

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This is one thing i was a little worried about . When i first got my mobo and Ram i just got some that was cheap at the time and didnt even consider compatibility , just got lucky as the ram i got isn't listed here .
    If for instance i got some stupidly expensive 4800MHz ram , would the fact that its not on the list simply mean that it may not run at all or only run down at 2133 ?

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

DDR4-2666 kit is the sweet spot to your system when it comes to performance but i would not upgrade when it comes to price versus performance, I think you are fine with 2400MHz.
    Listen what Paul recommend before you make up your mind about CPU ;)

Edit: Look video from 10:00 when all CPU`s are OC to 4,6 GHz

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  16. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Hi-end mainboards are very sensitive to memory type.
    For this reason there is a recommended list from the manufacturer.
    For years I have had to diagnose and repair many computers due to the client (or shop) buying incompatible memory.
    In the old days this was not so important and mainboards seemed to be more flexible.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

These two are listed, the GTZ and GRK are probably manufacturers, GRK is Samsung.
    DDR4 G.Skill 3000 4GB F4-3000C15Q-16GRK Samsung
    DDR4 G.Skill 3000 4GB F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
    G.Skill F4-3000C15D-16GVRB has modules from another manufacturer and not on list, so my advice is stay away, also the letter is different, C15D as against recommended C15Q.
    This also has to do with memory timings and so on, I have seen many systems where one letter in the memory name was different and this was enough to cause problems or lack of speed.
    The listed memory is manufacturer tested memory so you can be sure it will work.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

So does rF2 use only a single core? If so then i7 will not improve performance for me.
    My Ram is 3 sticks :/ 2 x4GB 2400 and 1x8GB 2133 OC'd to 2400, lol
    This is why I'm a little concerned and think I need to upgrade.
    CPUz does say its running 16GB dual channel and shows 1200 MHz which gets doubled but not sure what my 3 sticks is doing to performance.
    Any benchmarking I do i seem to get the same FPS as all the other 1080Ti systems give or take variance.
    So just not sure if it is affecting or not.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Well, most games will only run on either one core or multiple cores on individual basis, meaning that even when more than one core is utilized, it only splits up the work between and how many cores there are, are not necessarily working together on the same task on multiple threads and most games even if they can use more than one core they don’t fully utilize the full potential that multiple-core CPUs are capable of.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Sounds good to me, if the timing is correct and all memory is running on 1200 MHz.
    If your system is stable and you have good FPS then upgrading to 3000 or higher would not be life changing.
    Probably water cooling and OCing is all thats left if not done already.
    Run a simple benchmark to get an idea how it compares to similiar systems.
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

2ndLastJedi likes this.