Loading Controller Setting resets them

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Wanderer, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

Hey, from the very first time playing rF2 i have this Problem and its annoying to test, because i have to map everything again, when i try to load a saved Setting.
    It will Reset to "w for acc", "s for brake", "a for steer left" and so on.
    I first thought the Game needs Admin rights to write and/or load that settings but it didn't worked.
    So whenever i want to switch from the T500RS to an X Box One Controller because iam too lazy to set my rig up i have to map every button again and the same goes, when i switch back to the Wheel.
    Pressing load messes everything up :/
    I have no problem to overwrite the json files by myself everytime, but that dont work either or i did something wrong.

English is not my native language, hope its not too bad (feels bad to read for me) and thx for your help.

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Plug T500 in only.
    Start game and go to controller settings screen.
    Select "Detect". It should detect yout T500.
    Assign your buttons etc to what you want.
    Select save and name it whatever you like, I suggest naming it with an "a" as the first letter so it will be first in the list when you go to load it.
    Now you just click Load and select your custom controller if you have several custom controllers like your xbox controller.

Wanderer likes this.
  3. Wanderer

Wanderer Registered

Tested it today and yes, you are right.
    But it only works, when i plug in the XBO Controller too an press then detect, otherwise it uses a third Controller (joy3)... never used them together before so i dont understand how it saves that all with the wrong Controller ID's.
    Little bit confusing, but main thing is i can play without remapping it all agein. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Thank you.

PS.: is there a way to link things like fov, assists and other things to this?
    Like choosing a Profile in rFactor 1.
    I mean... this Game works fantastic with this XBO Controller and the right settings
    besides its lacking rumble feedback for things like understeer.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I doubt you will find much expertise here using Gamepads. I'm sure there are some users, like yourself, who do use them. But most of the posters are more likely to be wheel/pedal users. I'm not sure if there is enough folks here practiced in the use of gamepads. It will be interesting to see I guess.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have a look in your Controller.JSON, found here: \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player
    Open with notepad and scroll down, just above the Force Feedback section there will be a list: "Device Name 1" to "Device Name 8":""
    You might find something listed for "Device Name 3". You can delete controllers listed there if need be making sure to only delete the text between the " ", then close and save the file.
    Feel free to have a look through the rest of the file for other options you may want to adjust.

For the rumble feedback, make sure you change the feedback type in the in-game controller settings page from wheel to gamepad or whatever it is listed as.
    You can assign almost any control to a controllers button, d-pad etc.
    There are a few "two key" controls eg, "Ctrl+f" for the FPS meter that you can't assign to a controller but they are for things you don't use whilst driving.

If you go to the Steam rF2 Guides page there are some guides concerning xbox controllers.