[REL] SMG HUD pack 2.5 (updated!)

Discussion in 'Other' started by Slow Motion, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

MarcG likes this.
  2. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

You are right and I suppose @elbo referred to the same thing. I'm going to add this bug in my list and I'll ask S397 again for clarifications. Thank you.

3. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Quick question for the VR users.

How do you find the red text? For me it comes out really hard to read, compared to green and yellow. Want to check if it's just me or if others experience the same. Might try adjusting it to orange or something to see if it's any better.

4. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Designed by Shawn Jacobs, soon we'll release 4 new HUDs specially developed to be used in VR. Colors, positions of boxes and other little expedients were applied for the optimized use in VR.

Shawn will give you more detailed info, at the moment enjoy the preview of a winning combination, HUDs OW25 and GP3 with visor under rain...
    20180124190309_1.jpg

5. lagg

lagg Registered

For me it's the same

Shawn Jacobs and Slow Motion like this.
  6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Slow Motion, your HUDs are great and what we use.
    However I see after #17 they include info above between the virtual mirrors.
    We do not use virtual mirrors and I hope your new generation HUDs incude lower screen versions like #16 (which I use !).
    Look forward to seeing these new colourful HUDs though, thanks for the fine work ! ;)

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thank you. We made different layouts just to try to cover any need... Sincerely I don't know about future layouts and I'm sure next build of rFactor2 will fix some minor issues for the new features plug the HUD, but I hope will bring to us the API for plugins and a lot of talented guys will work for adjustable HUDs, etc... And this pack will become obsolete.

8. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks for posting Slow motion

So a bit of information on the lastest huds.

I was really impressed with Slow motions newest huds however unfortunately when racing in VR I find anything down the bottom is a bit of an immersion killer for me and also seems to mess with my eyes quite a bit especially when going over my virtual arms.

To resolve all this a VR specific version was the best approach.

Version 19 was used as the basis for this HUD.

Changes include

Tacho
    • Moving all timings up to just below middle virtual mirror
    • Tyres moved up to sit below the fuel
    • Tyre wear font enlarged
    • Delta bar removed
    • Delta text moved to sit below all timings and font enlarged
    • Driver names added to ahead and behind
    • Red font has been changed to orange, making it slightly clearer to read (not perfect but better)
    Message box, MFD and status bar

• Message box and mfd moved up screen to be alot more visible and reducing the need to look down
    • Status bar moved to top of screen (utilised in a large online race, new location is so much easier to follow gaps)

Flags
    • Additional flags added (existing chequered style ones remain on top right) new flags appear just below tyres and are a lot more visible in VR.
    • Size of flags reduced as they were quite large in VR.

Aspect ratio
    Highly recommend you run a resolution of 1280x720
    This makes everything a lot more visible and close together, especially the virtual mirrors if you run them are no longer way up high.

A massive thank you to slow motion for putting all of this together, the HUD tool is definitely not the easiest system to work with and he has done an amazing job putting all of these huds together. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thank you for all your efforts, it is greatly appreciated!

9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

First post updated with the latest HUDs... VR users and all other guys, enjoy them! Thank you.

elbo, MaD_King, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  10. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you very much.
    I'll test it tonight

Slow Motion likes this.
  11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Will test.

Slow Motion likes this.
  12. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Interesting update for the VR users.
    I tested the points that's I notice that can be improved
    - It'm not fan of the RPM representation choice (multiline squares), but I have no proposition to replace it, need to check other HUD to see how to represent this in a digital way (and not analog way). Perhaps more linera with colors like RPM leds.

- The other points are the position of the basic display area at the bottom of screen, they are to high in position and need to be the closer as possible to the side.

I use the Wedge HUD Side variant for VR for the moment, and this is a good way to have information and to not be in conflict with to many part of the cockpit (Mirrors for example when you turn you head)
    So for me this need improvement.

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks Daniel. I can answer only partially about RPM leds... we have developed other 49 (or 51 HUDs) where we have any kind of RPM look, from analog to digital and/or step by step... here I tried to create the useful possible RPM led notification, without being invasive but at the same time visible in a while. So we have a "green" led line when, more or less, you are in the right torque regime (not sure this is the right term in English), then orange and red (a suggestion for gear change) and all red alert.
    For the rest, Shawn is the right people to answer.

MaD_King likes this.
  14. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Hi Daniel

Yeah that was my call to move all the information from the bottom moved up, previously I found I was always looking down too much to see them.

An example of this is when I had a lost connection from the server while making a pitstop, as the message box was so low I didn't see it at all. Only dawned on me something wasn't right when the track was way too quiet.

For the other information, I must admit I have it turned off most of the time, and only turn it on when needed. Again I would have to look down a fair way to see it, which can be quite dangerous with 30+ cars in track.

What resolution are you running?

15. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I have the desktop resolution 1920x1080 (don't know if the resolution is applicable to the VR headset or if I have to change it specially for VR).
    I drive with the CrewChief spotter, so the information can be in the extreme of the screen because I have information from it. And I just need the lower information less often. And I check in straits like in real to avoid driving deviation/dangerous situations in loosing track from eyes.

16. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I tried the new overhead version that you created for VR. I like the overhead location better than the lower one. The lower ones are a bit too low. I do not have VR however.

In a race last night I couldn't see any start lights? I assume this might be related to being for VR?

Have you posted a guide to what the elements in the HUD represent?

Is there a way to add the gap to competitors table that was available in Track map?

Also list of the 3 sector times for player compared fastest would be useful?

It does take a while to readjust ones look points to new locations for individual data elements.

Great work so,far?

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Might give this a go. Any chance of a version of the VR one without gear and speed indicators and timings; just fuel/weather/position/laps? I hate to be 'that guy' but I like to have only that stuff up there and then scroll through the bottom right MFD.

18. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

A good reading would be the whole thread, because it doesn't take long time but can be of help. In few words, HUD has very limited options and all hard-coded vs. a plugin like the TrackMap, so no chances for what you are asking for.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Didn't they have a model of the Toyota TS030 that they previewed? After the release of the Nissan LM car?[sorry, I've forgotten the MOD names for the manufacturers]

20. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Just started looking at this HUD - very impressed as I use VR and Shawn's version is just what I need. Just want to check though - the versions that are available for me, all seem to be No DRS. Is that correct - no DRS available in the VR versions?