3d grass and 3d trees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex_, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Hi, i asked that question some time ago, now i try again with studio 397, there are any plans to implement 3d grass and 3d trees?
    Especially 3d grass, in my opionin, is really important from a graphical point of view. All modern sims use that technology, rFactor 2 look too flat..

patchedupdemon likes this.
  2. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

The Laser scanned Nordschleife use "3D grass", and yes it is strongly better, by a visual point of view.

Some modders use also 3D glass and performance is the same VS without.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Depends what you mean by 3D. Assetto Corsa uses X-shaped trees as far as I know, that's not really proper 3D. Same with 3D grass, it's typically a bunch of 2D planes laying at 90 degree angle with the surface. I hope if rF2 one day goes 3D that there would be some better tech available than these pseudo 3D things.

dadaboomda likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree,

I wish some kind of "billboard material" could be created. The diffuse material would rotate always to face camera and the perspective grass or terrain material in general would be seen as in real life. It should be mixed with a regular simple fixed terrain material to create variey.

5. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Yes that is right.

But it is better than false 2D textures for grass.

Hope S397 use this technic for the future.

6. toebee

toebee Registered

7. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Thanks for the answers, i see that many people want 3d grass!! I hope that developers will do something about it!

8. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Almost all trees, bushes and people in rF2 are billboard materials. Plain square 2D shape always facing the camera.
    3D trees is up to the maker of the track, close by the track many trees are 3D. But more than 50 meters away it's a waist of resources.

Pocisk likes this.
  9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I w
    I know that billboard objects are being used for making trees. I use them in my tracks.
    I
    I was referring to the creation of a "billboard material" for grass so that it would represent 3d grass instead of flat grass. It would be a mix of a applying a rotating material that would "face" the observer (camera) and would provide the perspective 3d effect with regular textures that provide the 2D. Just an idea. I don't know how well or bad it would look.