Quick impressions from a pro driver.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caravan_driver, Jan 29, 2018.

1. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Agreed, but not completely. It's not pro driver vs random internet dude, it's too simplistic.
    Within pro drivers, there are the drivers paid by a sim developer to tell how awesome a sim is (even if it's a pile of crap), and there are the drivers not tied to a game company.

2. Comante

Comante Registered

The problem is that it can't "feel" like the real thing, a real driver that approach simulations (especially if for the first time) need to understand what to look for, judging car handling through a screen instead than from the seat may not be easy, especially if you don't even bother to check if the setup is correct for the track conditions.

3. Filip

Filip Registered

His repeating complaints about default ffb being too strong are completely irrelevant its like saying default graphics settings are too low. My feeling is that strong ffb, oversteering and green track without grip all that stuff he could dial in a few minutes influenced his opinion which is a shame and missed rare opportunity to have some real feedback from a pro.

Although he says that driving performance(physics) is his main concern he didn't say anything concrete about that apart from car having shity default oversteery setup which he didn't bother to fix like he did in iracing video.
    Or did I miss something?

SteveK, Ernie, bwana and 3 others like this.
  4. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Whose fault is it?
    He tests the latest and greatest GT car from S397, with the most recent evolution of the tire model, from the first DLC from S397.
    What GT car should a new buyer and player think is better?
    Cheers.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

this is 100% again why rf2 isn't as popular as the aforementioned sims. Theres inconsistent polish/quality/ffb/tyre models in rf2 compared to other sims. (ac has all their cars on the latest tyre model/RRE almost has) I know s397 are trying their best to rectify this, but its a long hard job. I do think thats rf2 main fault, and the reason why its not as popular as we all think it should be.

But as we all know and are the reason why were here, is that once you do get that magic combo of car and track in rf2 - its unbeatable !

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I agree but it also means out of the box experiense in rF2 is underwhelming. For example no auto tuning graphical profiles (and users care about visual effects), car oversteers too much using default settings, tracks don't have rubber (which is the opposite in AC).

Ernie and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  7. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

It is necessary to know how to listen to the critics thus to correct and move forward
    Nobody wants to spend the hour in regulation FFB and others ...
    Without even got into detail the physics!
    I put myself has the place of a new player, in 3 in day I not made an on-line race I have to find nothing...
    IA instead of real players no information server (mod? cars? just the tracks...)
    For me and many of the others the problem number 1 and the on-line system, impossible to make race easily as iracing
    The players go to see somewhere else it's a pity ...

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

its noones fault
    ofcourse he drives the car that is closer to the car he drives on track(merchendes)
    but it happens not to be the best car for rf2 also i dont like the ffb on this car its strange.

patchedupdemon and bwana like this.
  9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I agree and it’s like that in most of not all sims,you have to spend hrs trawling the forums to find answers that the developers should provide in some sort of game manual pdf

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  10. Filip

Filip Registered

I agree. This is a good example why real road should be set at least to medium by default, cars shoud have safe setups etc. All to please and keep newcomers. Experienced players will always manage

patchedupdemon and Ernie like this.
  11. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Real racer drivers are pro at extract the maximum from a race car.

Fastest sim racers are pro to seize the physics flaws of any simulator in order to achieve alien lap times which are physically impossible to be reproduced in real world

The guy's accent is quite annoying but I pay more attention to any average real racing driver to a "pro" sim racer.

liakjim, dadaboomda and Will Mazeo like this.
  12. bwana

bwana Registered

or better still a pro driver who knows sims well .

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If he is as well an experienced real driver (you only say he is an experienced sim racer) his feedback will be interesting and valuable.

However, the biggest proof of how accurate or inaccurate is a sim platform/car comes from a good telemetry correlation. In many cases we have heard of real F1 teams having problems with wind tunnel data not correlating simulation values. A driver feedback is pretty subjective and is good for coarse tuning rather that from a fine tuning of a vehicle behaviour.

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Note that on the car behavior he called it good simulation, he only was a critic of the default setup, and with total valid points (front engine, long wheelbase). If that hurts something it's the ego of the physic/setup guy, nothing else lol.
    If you doubt his point go drive the cars in RaceRoom and check (you can do it for free even tho the track available for this is not that nice), the base setups there gives you a more consistent feeling of what you'd expect from the cars with different weight distribution.

Everything else he talked was a game point. You see the default setup was also a problem on iRacing, yet the game give him a better feeling for other reasons, so from this aspect he was judging a game as any average joe does and being a pro driver or not does not change this. And on that point rF2 loses a lot, anyone knows this, unless you are a real blind fanboy. Fortunately it seems S397 is aware of these points :)

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

16. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

The credibility of this pilot was tainted by some messages here...
    ---> We should have started with checking his experience.

On the other hand, for what I understood in English, I find unfortunately not that these remarks on the REALISM aspect of RF2 were relevant, really a pity.

Moreover I find the choice of the Mercedes GT3 very relevant. The GT3 pack or the FE are the most relevant choices to test RF2 actually, and I love the Mercedes, you are very hard I think with this S397 car !

Moreover, it would surprise me a lot that the game and the FFB were correctly configured for this video.......................

17. bwana

bwana Registered

I think the point about the revelance of this video isn’t so much about the driver and his credibility but about the varying softwares and their default settings and the differences of each , what l would have liked to see is the car of choice being a Porsche cup car even though not official from S397 (flat6 substituted) the feeling characteristics differences of the pooch which he has competed in would be interesting

18. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Nicki Thiim? Are you kidding!?
    Only a world champion. :)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  19. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The problem with the review is that even the setup was not evaluated correctly, because in real terms the AMG GT3 drives like any GT3 with ABS, but the Jan had ABS deactivated and therefore overbrakes the rear axle at full braking power. This has nothing at all to do with a wrong standard setup, but simply with a wrong setting. You might want to deactivate the gentleman with the ABS on his racing car. Then he'd like to make another comparison.

Ernie and avenger82 like this.
  20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I never heard about him. Thanks for the info