Windows 10 ahhhh

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by patchedupdemon, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Ruben Correa Alves

Ruben Correa Alves

I've had issues with my Samsung SSD for about a year. Just last week I realised that the issues got worse every time a big Windows 10 update got pushed. From a freeze once a month, it got to a freeze once a week with the creators update and a freeze every day with the falls update. That made me think that it couldn't be a hardware issue, but what then? Just as I wanted to give up I downloaded Samsung Magician, which is a tool from Samsung for drive maintenance.

You can see some simple info, do some simple tests with it and most importantly, it will check your Samsung SSD firmware it will install the latest version when you're out of date. Apparently my SSD firmware was so old that the W10 updates in combination with the SSD caused more and more issues over time. Haven't had a crash since last week.

Samsung Magician download link:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201707/20170726234338606/Samsung_Magician_Installer.exe

Some info on the tool:
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/

patchedupdemon likes this.
  2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Reason I am asking is that there are some antivirus programs and backup software like Acronis which can cause boot issues like you have. Windows defender should not be the problem but it can bee windows update regarding chip-level security bug which might not work with BIOS version which you have.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Been trying all day,it just wouldn’t install build 1709 and a display driver from many months ago.

Now I’ve tried a tip from a guy in yourube that said to download windows media creation tool and install from their,all is well fingers crossed.

Stupid how the updater in windows setting was trying to install every update since windows 10 launch.

4. patchedupdemon

My god I wish I could go back to windows 7

Now the real-time protection in windows defender is greyed out and I can’t switch it on

I have no other antivirus etc installed,I checked in services and the process windefend says “failed to read error code 2”

I’ve checked online and all I can find is suggestions to mess around with the registary,but that is beyond my few brain cells.

Any one ever had this happen nd know of a safe fix

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon Have you done some hardware / stability testing? Your run of issues sounds like a possible disk/RAM/other problem.

As far as win10 reinstall, I'd say always grab the latest full version. Cleaner and faster than an older version which then needs updates.

patchedupdemon and The Iron Wolf like this.
  6. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

How about...
    • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    • c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd

7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Have you run a hard disk test with manufacturers diagnostic software ?
    Have you done a fresh install, and in doing so deleting the partitions in the Windows install process ? I do not mean reinstalling over the old Windows.
    I am curious that a Microsoft guy would advise a Bios update, you are running a Socket 1150 CPU released June 2014 which is not that old.
    Could you post your hardware (mainboard type and Bios version, hard disk details, memory details) ?
    Run a report on Speccy, AIDA64 or HWInfo and PM me.

8. patchedupdemon

Thanks for the replies guys,I’ll post and reply properly tommorow.

All I’ve done since reinstalling is a sfc scan now command,which found 100s of files missing or out of path.

I really need to test my ram and hardrive too,so I will ask the google on ways of doing so.

Thanks again guys for the replies,I will post back tommorow once my son is at school

9. patchedupdemon

me again lol
    ive ran chkdisk and a couple of quick tests using seagate tools,then ran windows memory diagnostic and no errors or faults were found.
    my system info is in the image supplied

edit,just checked windows defender and for some reason i can now switch on realtime protect lol,i havent changed anything its just come alive

Attached Files:

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Can you run CPU-Z (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and send a screenshot of the SPD tab to see which memory modules you have and their timing ?
    Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H (rev. 1.0) has a newer BIOS F9 update (you have F7) but not too important as this is mainly for Gen5 Core support (you have Gen4).
    You probably can turn Windows Defender back on now because you ran SFC /scannow which replaced the missing/corrupt files.
    You can also run dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth from an Administrator command prompt (cmd.exe)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Ari Antero and patchedupdemon like this.
  11. patchedupdemon

Thanks for the reply and help,I’ll post a screen shot of cpuz when I get chance