screen freezes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by SLK, Jan 23, 2018.

1. SLK

SLK Registered

Hello,
    my screen freezes randomly when i am driving. The game is still running (I can still hear the sound -it's not looped or something) and the task-manager is still showing rf2 as running.

[​IMG]
    Graphics card: nvidia geforce 750ti (latest driver)
    How frequently? I ususally drive 40-60min per session. Sometimes it happens in after 20min, sometimes I can do 2-3 sessions until it occurs the first time.
    Online or offline? Online, not driving offline at all
    Does the amount of other cars have an impact? Doesnt matter if im alone or with 20 others.
    Error occured on DX9? No
    Steam version? Yes
    Any DX11-HUDs installed? Yes
    KasperHUD before, now DigitalHUD
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1244623450
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=566312342
    No difference between them.
    Fullscreen or borderless? Both
    Tried to reinstall? Yes
    Could it be caused by the track? I was driving 6 different tracks and got the issue on every one of them.

Could somebody help me? The game is currently not enjoyable with this issues.

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

This can occur if your video card or CPU overheats.
    Blow the dust out of your video card and CPU fan.
    Also check temps with GPU-Z or CPU-Z.

3. SLK

SLK Registered

Could it be caused by the ram eventually?
    [​IMG]
    I have 10GB, but rf2 seems to display/use just 9GB. The GPU temp was almost permanantly at 80°C.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I'm assuming the column on the right is the maximum value.
    Your graphics card temp hit 81c. I'm not positive but that's close to the thermal limit.
    Your gpu fan only hit 63%. Get that fan cranking!

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 95 C
    https://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
    Maximum CPU Temperature (in C) 72.6°C
    So we can eliminate that.
    10 GB RAM is an unusual amount, 3 slots filled with 2 x 4GB and 1 x 2GB or 2 slots with 1 x 8GB and 1 x 2GB ?
    Are the memory modules from the same series ? If the 2GB module is not then remove it and reset your BIOS to default. Then try the game again.
    Be easier if the mainboard and memory details were available though.

6. SLK

SLK Registered

Thanks for your help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Slot #2 is equal to 3 and 4. I closed everything besides rf2 yesterday and had no issues yet. i hope it was just caused by the lack of ram.

7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Memory (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G and KVR1333D3N9/2G) is compatible and running correctly on 9-9-9-24.
    Probably a background process kicks in (Indexing, online cloud sync, email program, etc), try turn everything unnecessary off before playing game.
    Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to see Task viewer in order to see what is running.
    We found running in windowed mode better for us.
    Run a memtest to see why 9,1GB are shown, however this can be due to the onchip Intel® HD Graphics 2000 sharing the memory.
    Have a look in System Properties though and right click for Properties on the Intel® HD Graphics 2000 to check Shared System Memory (see enclosed image for example).
    But for the rest, hardware seems ok and 10GB should get you there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. SLK

SLK Registered

My game just froze again with 6,4GB of max ram usage. The 9GB are just shown in rf2, windows displays me 10GB.

9. ceecee

ceecee Registered

When the game freezes, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to see Task viewer in order to see what is running and post a screenshot.

10. SLK

SLK Registered

I will do that. Would it help you, when I upload the dxdiag and the content of the critical_rfactor2.exe folders?

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

If the dxdiag test is positive then this is not necessary.
    The rFactor2 folders are not very helpful to me (S397 will know more!)
    Check Windows Logs/System in Event Viewer around the time of the freezing for any more details, especially check for NTFS errors.
    You can also perform a hard disk test using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows (http://downloads.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_31.zip).
    But a screenshot (press F12) from Task Manager at the time of the crash will be helpful, this shows what programs are active and using the most resources.
    Our league users had freezing problems when background software started syncing.

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@SLK You have 12GB of ram but your system is operating with 10GB and it could be a problem. Remove ram from Slot # 2 and Slot # 4. Test rFactor2 with 8GB of ram there is no need to have more ram then 8GB.

13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

The Acer M3920 Desktop is delivered with 4 slots filled with 3 x 2GB, a compatible 4GB module has been added to the 4th free slot. Memory and timings are correct (as mentioned above).

14. SLK

SLK Registered

[​IMG]
    The first picture is mine. The second below is a translation i found. It appears when im opening dxdiag.exe. if i accept, everything is fine and the message disappears, when i dismiss, dxdiag.exe crashes.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Sorry, I see didn`t notice what OP wrote in post # 6: "Slot #2 is equal to 3 and 4" :(

16. SLK

SLK Registered

17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Download and install DX Offline installer, install, restart computer and then rerun Dxdiag, if program stays open it should tell you which process is causing problems.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    screen shot I am still going through but JDownloader 2.exe should be taken out of the startup as this activates itself regularly.
    Vivaldi is using quite a lot of resources and should be closed when playing.
    There are quite a lot of complaints online about Avast Behaviour Shield kicking in and using unnecessary high amounts of CPU, maybe check this too.
    It is not clear which Yandex you are using, the email version checks mail regularly and the browser has been accused of using bots for scanning, maybe also turn this off when gaming.
    Photoshop I presume you used now to make the screenshots.
    Once this is done then restart PC and open a command prompt as Administrator (cmd.exe) and run SFC /Scannow, this can be followed by DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. ceecee

ceecee Registered

No problem Ari, judging by your hardware I do think you know your way around and troubleshooting with input from others is always helpful ;)

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was surprised with the amount of nVidia process listed. I'm not on my Win 10 cockpit pc at the moment, I'm on my win 7 pc but I do have rF2 installed on it and I only have 2 nVidia processes running.
    One Container and one User experience driver component.
    I do a bare driver install though, only the driver and PhysX

ceecee likes this.
  20. ceecee

ceecee Registered

That caught my eye as well but running AMD here, I did not have a comparison.