F1 1996 Mod by SliDe

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by intweb, Jan 16, 2018.

1. intweb

intweb Registered

Evening,
    Can anyone share a decent setup (or setups) for use with this fantastic Mod with me please? Have driven many miles and am still a fair distance from any grip!

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Steve.

Louis likes this.
  2. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Maybe I'll add a touch more grip to the tyres... It was fine until I added more caster to fix the FFB.

3. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I just added more grip, much more driveable now. Let me know what you think.

intweb likes this.
  4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Forti is a handful in the real world mode. Not a problem, since it has the aerodynamic qualities of a Nokia 3310 and is like trying to run the Grand National on a cow.

Sherwin92 and intweb like this.
  5. intweb

intweb Registered

Cheers Sl1de, have downloaded, will get back to you.

Also worth noting, the laps were all in the Tyrrell!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    flairmark1976 likes this.
  6. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yep, the Forti is supposed to handle like a cow and be 5 seconds off the pace. There's no hope for that car. The amount of downforce I had to take off that thing... And I purposely made it unbalanced, a tonne of drag, very little downforce, etc. etc. :D The times were realistic in testing, when compared to tier 1 cars (Ferrari and Williams), so I think I got it right-ish.

I'd also like to point out, I do all my testing on Interlagos, and one thing I have noticed is that Interlagos seems to have more grip than most other tracks, so it's kind of hard to get it to where it feels good on other circuits also. Official tracks have more grip than user made tracks, and Interlagos has more than Silverstone. But on those two tracks, it's definitely driveable. At least for me. Unless you pick the Forti.

intweb and Obbzy_XR_ like this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

They qualified at Interlagos, so that's not too much of a problem. :p

SL1DE likes this.
  8. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

Man, let me say that I have been a fan of the Forti Corse team since I started watching F1 (with my mom in 1994 as a 2 year old :D , yes I know they debuted in '95 :p) and the fact I can FINALLY drive a Forti in a sim is almost like a dream come true :D . The looks of the '96 Forti, it's a simply stunning car in my book, and it being driven by Luca Badoer rounds it all off! The handling, it's soo diabolical that it's brilliant. I'm in love :D

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

i drove it round Symons plains to tell the full story of Forti. Took forever cos I didn't get along with it XD

10. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Forti has fans, who knew... :D

Glad you're enjoying it.

Wish I could figure out why it doesn't want to load the second car, I don't see anything in the error logs, it just switches itself back to the original. Might have to just make a separate VEH for them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  11. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

So the forti can really barely reach 280 kph at monza on the ful straight with default setup?

12. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I might have went a bit overboard... I made it with the assumption, that not only is it low on downforce, but the aero is messy which creates more drag, instead of slicing through the air it's more like hitting a wall. Most of the terrible back marker cars throughout history are like this. Like, HRT for example.

I can't find any speed trap info from 1996, so... I just had to guess the terribleness. But by going by lap time and how slower Forti was than pole in Brazil, I feel like I made it fairly accurate. You can trim off all the wing if you want more top speed.

Zeh Drei Peo likes this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Forti had ceased to exist by Monza, so if you're going for full realism they wouldn't have been there :p

14. Zeh Drei Peo

Zeh Drei Peo Registered

So ive been reading some stuff about the forti corsa team the last hour. Man this team was chaotic and had a lot of missmanagement ^^

15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Just saw a YouTube video of forti qualifying in monza in 1995 and part way through John Watson says that the fAstest speed at the start finish line was 329 and the slowest was the forti at 300. By the toe they hit the end of the straight you would expect more speed then.

16. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Awesome! Thanks for finding this video.

So, with low downforce package, Forti was down by 30km/h. That's quite a difference. So I think I got it fairly accurate then?

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Top speed back then wasn't much higher than 200mph (320ish)

They did okay, considering their circumstances. Diniz moving to Ligier put them a step back but it was the deal with Shannon Racing that ended them. Group was owned by one of Europe's best fraudsters and when Forti went, so did Shannon. Can't find anything about them.

They were ambitious more than anything. Nowhere near as naive as Andrea Sassetti of Andrea Moda and certainly not as deluded as Ernesto Vita with his Life team.

18. EMY

EMY Registered

19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Really nice series, thanks Slide :) Really brings out memories.

I've two questions:
    * I noticed I can't re-start car after it's stalled, is that intentional? Knowing F1, won't be surprised it is.
    * Driving 1988 Spa, McLaren, very hard on curbs, probably stiffest cars in rF2 I experienced, anyone noticed that, or is it my setup?

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm pretty sure the Anti-stall tech didn't arrive until a few years later. If you beached a car back then and stalled it...you were done. I think 2003 @ Mclaren was the first fully automated transmission.{note: not an automatic transmission}
    CART/CHAMPCAR tried a different solution, with the Panoz champcar, they included an onboard starter motor. The motor worked perfectly on the testbed but wasn't fully tested on track til the first race. The starter had just enough power to crank over a cold engine and fire it up...but didn't have the staying power to crank a fully heated raced engine. So quite a few cars were parked in the early season because the starter motor could not re-fire the engine once racing began.
    The stiffest cars were those that used the ground effects and active suspensions. Back when Williams was still on top with Nigel Mansell. The cars of that era had tremendous downforce and thus needed extremely stiff springs to keep the car from dragging on the road surface. {there are plenty of Youtube videos showing the huge amount of sparks generated from the undertray} Occasionally the fancy active suspensions would fail and the car would collapse onto the track like a dead spider. The FIA used these failures as a reason to ban the active suspension, but more likely they banned them due to the extreme costs associated with those ground-effect/active suspension monsters.

The Iron Wolf likes this.