Video editing tools

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Nello Pastorino, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Nello Pastorino

Nello Pastorino Registered

Hi, I don't know if this has been discussed/announced recently... if it was I must have lost the threads/news along the way, in that case I apologize.

I wanted to ask if there are plans to implement some sort of advanced camera functions in-game such as manually adjusting focus for the DOF and the possibility to use the sticks of a joypad to move around on the track and bind triggers and buttons to do specific actions as zooming in and out, rolling etc.

These things would be really helpful (and appreciated) to record cinematic clips from the sim and they'd allow for great community videos.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    SRGP likes this.
  2. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

Here is the situation at the moment:
    Some of the cameras are controlable (pan/tilt/zoom) but not all.
    You can iterate trough the track side cameras but not go to a sepcific one by clicking the map
    Focal length is automatic as far as I know

So to resume most of the functionalities are there, but the UX and GUI (or lack of) can definitely be improved.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Like AC's photo mode?

4. Nello Pastorino

You're right most of the functionalities are there, however when I tried to map the analog sticks on my controller to move the camera around I noticed that I could only move on one axis at a time. I mean: If I wanted to move forward while doing a lateral pan I wouldn't be able to do that. That's a huge problem to me. Maybe I'm just missing something on how to correctly map the controller though, I didn't spend much time trying it out actually.

Yeah, something similar to that in rF2 would be great in my opinion. With that I'd be able to specify the point where I want to move the focus of a scene. In AC I also uso the joycam app to move freely around the track and it really allows for some interesting shots. Having a similar utility for rF2 would be just awesome.

What I'm saying is that at the moment I wouldn't be able to make my rF2 videos look as good as my AC videos. For instance this is my newest vid (I'm not trying to spam my channel, I just want to show you what I mean! :D )

Even the very first scenes would be impossible to recreate in rF2 at the moment, unless I'm missing something about the controls. In that case I'll be the first one to call myself an idiot LOL

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Tilen7 likes this.
  5. Flipo

Flipo Registered

in rFactor2 the cameras could be improved, but they are not bad, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them and have creativity.
    this is a video of the RaceF1 community that I've seen and it's not bad at all.

6. Nello Pastorino

I'm afraid we're talking about two different things!
    The vid you posted only features default and fixed cameras. I agree that the external track cameras and the default chasing cams are good enough, but they're not what I'm asking for.

If you haven't already check the video I posted before so you can understand what I mean. All the scenes shot in it were composed and adjusted manually directly in the game (AC), no default track cameras were used and motion on the editing side is almost non-existent.

I'd be really glad to find that same extent of freedom about the movement and the settings of the camera (which somewhat already are in the sim) and MOST OF ALL that same ease of use in rF2 so that I could recreate a similar cinematic look for my next videos (and with me many other users that enjoy taking screenshots and making videos! :D )

Tilen7 likes this.
  7. Tilen7

Tilen7 Registered

I totally agree with @TheNexpresso , I'm a skin maker and when I have to make screenshots of my works I struggle to find the right camera that is enough close to the car or the angle that has the right light position. In AC this is easier because you have a lot of functions in the photo mode that can make your pic like you want it, so something similar would be great to have in this sim too. Hope admins or devs will see this messages to at least think about what we're asking for:)

Nello Pastorino likes this.
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

Er, uhm, don't we still have the freemove camera? I know you can assign hotkeys for moving the camera.

9. Nello Pastorino

Yes but moving the camera with the keyboard is very limiting when compared to the possibilities given by the analog sticks of a pad (think of videos made with drones).

As I was saying, when I tried to use the analog sticks the movements felt very limited. Maybe I'm just missing something about the controls, so if anybody knows a way to assign the camera movement to the analog sticks of a joypad in a way that allows me to freely (and smoothly) move on all three axis at the same time please share it.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I`m not sure, if this is, what you`re looking for, but pressing "U" would release the cams for free moving...

11. Nello Pastorino

Nope, I'm aware of this but thank you :)
    The problem with that is that the freelook is controlled by the mouse and I see no way to bind it to the pad. Unfortunately my mouse is not that great and I find it much easier and smoother to control camera movement with a pad. I already made some videos on rF2, but I've not been able to replicate certain scenes that take me 30 seconds to make on the other game. Of course I could compensate partially in the video editing software, but that would just not be the same thing.

If the camera movement and the freelook were entirely assignable to the analog sticks in the sim I'd be very happy :D
    I'd also be very happy if someone told me that what I'm looking for is already possible and how to achieve it. I made this thread because I couldn't find a way to do that, but if there's one... :oops:

12. papaosa

papaosa Registered

I create videos for AC and rF2..And they both have there challenges.
    If its the slow panning camera shots your struggling with? they are doable, maybe just not with a joystick thats all.
    The only issue I have is that, since rF2 changed to DX11 the DOF when PP is set to MED or higher has made life a little more difficult to keep the in frame DOF clear.
    Other than that [and with plenty of practice] I seem to be able to replicate the same or very similar camera movement between both platforms.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Obbzy_XR_ and Nello Pastorino like this.
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

I know some people making videos bind controls to their steering wheel, brake, & throttle for position and zoom by loading a separate controller.json for making videos, so binding controls to an analog input can be done.

Options if you want to fine-tune the keyboard controls are in your controller.json:
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Accel":4,
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Accel#":"Freelook pitch acceleration when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Decel":4,
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Decel#":"Freelook pitch deceleration when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Speed":1.5,
    "Freelook Keyboard Pitch Speed#":"Freelook pitch speed when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Accel":4,
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Accel#":"Freelook Yaw acceleration when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Decel":4,
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Decel#":"Freelook Yaw deceleration when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Speed":1.5,
    "Freelook Keyboard Yaw Speed#":"Freelook yaw speed when using keyboard.",
    "Freelook Mouse Pitch Speed":0.004,
    "Freelook Mouse Pitch Speed#":"Freelook pitch speed when using mouse.",
    "Freelook Mouse Yaw Speed":0.004,
    "Freelook Mouse Yaw Speed#":"Freelook yaw speed when using mouse.",
    "Freemove Down Speed":2,
    "Freemove Down Speed#":"Freemove Down speed.",
    "Freemove Forward Speed":2,
    "Freemove Forward Speed#":"Freemove Forward speed.",
    "Freemove Right Speed":2,
    "Freemove Right Speed#":"Freemove Right speed.",

Nello Pastorino likes this.
  14. JassyBorm

JassyBorm Registered

Video editing can be quite a task, and finding a user-friendly application is like striking gold. Personally, I've been using Adobe for a while now, and it's been a game-changer for me. It's so intuitive and easy to navigate, which saves me a ton of time. By the way, I recently stumbled upon this great article on vidpros.com that shares awesome tips on finding the best video editor. It's packed with valuable insights that might help you in your search too!

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I did it with joypad in the past... unsure what has changed?

16. garywarrenz

garywarrenz Registered

So, you're looking for some advanced camera functions in-game for epic cinematic clips, huh? That would be super cool! While I'm not sure if it has been discussed or announced, I can share a neat discovery I made.I recently stumbled upon this website, https://www.movavi.com/online-video-editor.html, where you can edit videos online. It might come in handy for adding those extra touches to your community videos. Just giving you a heads-up!By the way, I'm new here and excited to join this forum. Let's keep the creativity flowing and capture those epic moments.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  17. Sapperavis

Sapperavis Registered

Video editing can be quite a task, and finding a user-friendly application is like striking gold. Personally, I've been using Adobe for a while now, and it's been a game-changer for me. It's so intuitive and easy to navigate, which saves me a ton of time.