Share your OSW Settings

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by cookie, May 12, 2016.

1. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

2. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

4. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi all, am on OSW small MiGE + IONI Pro HC. in MMos “all effects off” and “overall filter=10”

in-game, there is not much to do, other than changing “car-specific ffb multi=0.30->0.35” and “ffb smoothing=0”

but still don’t feel FFB is good at all, all feels washed out, and FFB feel car to car is so huge, one vehicle you go kerbs or grass and everything rattles like crazy, next car you go kerbs and grass, is as if nothing happened...??? and i always use “car-specific ffb multi” = 0.30-0.35

any ideas what needs to be done?

5. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

hello guys.

i will try to help too, this is how i do it.

first of all please try my .json files edited for 30 Nm.

for small mige change this line....

"Steering torque capability":20,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ublltcmqssdt60i/Controller.JSON?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxvkmlgxy0rdhu7/SimuCUBE_Paddles.JSON?dl=0

- go to your rFactor2 folder, then userdata/controller and erase all .json files (make a backup first!)

- put SimuCUBE_paletas.json there

- go to userdata/player and put Controller.json there (overwriting your one, please make a backup too!)

- once you have both files installed , start rFactor 2 go to controls and select "SimuCUBE_paletas" , edit your controls using my file as a template. save it , name it as you like.

- lets start editing rF2 profile in Simucube config tool

[​IMG]

as you see rF2 uses damper and spring Directinput effects edit them to 45% like your overall stregth.

-start rF2 and choose your control profile ingame

- is VERY IMPORTANT to match the rotation degrees of the car and the simucube config tool.

- pick a car , go to track and comeback to box. inside the controls screen you will see the real steering ratio of the car.

as example the Mclaren 650s by Studio 397 uses 538 degrees, you have to edit your simucube profile accoording to that.

[​IMG]

Studio 397 cars need more or less 1.00-1.10 of FFB multiplier , some mods need more

raise it until you feel that you have soft clipping (software clipping).

edit smoothing according to your own taste 0-3 is ok, i use to put it on "1"

check that all driving helps are off , (important steering help)

sometimes i press F1 by mistake when pressing escape and that put steering help on and you will feel crazy FFB.

i hope this helps!!

Regards.

rocafella1978 and SimonJ like this.
  6. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

hi @Gonzas, thanks for your help. will test and try out all tomorrow and let you know.

7. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

I am using Gonzas settings and the ,json files feels very good best i have tried been using them for few weeks now mainly in Callaway GT3 :)

8. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Registered

@Gonzas worked out very good! my system is a IONI Pro HC, but did as you said, with minor differences:
    in MMos:
    rF2_MMos.jpg
    in-game:

"Car specific FFB Mult = 0.30-0.35"
    "FFB Smoothening = 1"

all feels much better, like FFB, i am sure need to dial in more, but a great place to start and much appreciate your help! really super! Thank you @Gonzas

9. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

thank to you guys, is a pleasure!

SimonJ and rocafella1978 like this.
  10. mtojay

mtojay Registered

after countless hours of testing i give up.
    rfactor 2 is without a doubt compared to the other main sims the worst one going to direct drive.

in every other sim you start off with something that at least makes kinda sense. in rf2 you have to tweak every little thing in a json file and even after hours and hours you still get no weight in slow turns while hitting a curb rips your arms out of your socket. how can that even be remotely realistic? i get it, its physicsbased, but in that case it seems that the maybe the calculation simply sucks.

i cant wrap my head around how going from near zero weight in a slow speed turn go to 100% immediately when touching the curb slightly.

aaaah. i want to enjoy it, but i cant. i simply can not drive it anymore when i have iracing and ac laying around with proper forcefeedback with a direct drive wheel. it is so bittersweet.

sry for the rant... had to blow some steam off. tried for days and countless hours and its simply unenjoyable for me compared to everything else.

11. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

I agree there is some hands-on in different files when it comes to FFB and it's all subjective to some extent to personal reference, but to my experience it's the opposite even there are some overlaps, the better ones in AC are superior the not so good ones in rF2. But there are other threads discussing that already :)

What are your hardware setup and what car have you tested?
    Compared to AC I do have different profiles for rF2, not just for different steering ranges.

12. mtojay

mtojay Registered

thx for the quick reply mate.
    i am running the big mige with a simucube and the newst simucube firmware.

the car is exclusively the formula renault 3.5 2014 because i wanted to go back to an old league that drives that car.

edit:
    also to add, when driving over some curbs it is sooooo loud. its ridiculous. when i am at a level where i might be able to enjoy the forcefeedback effects and intensity the curbs/rumble strips destroy the whole experience. my whole rig is literally shaking and i am sure my neighbours hear everything. on an sturdy 80/20 rig.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  13. Bozak

Bozak Registered

Try the controler.json from here
    I agree the formula renault 3.5 is not good with DD, but i enjoy very much rf2 with Simcube, not all cars are equal unfortunately.

mtojay likes this.
  14. mtojay

mtojay Registered

hey. thx mate. will give that one another try. at least i am not the only one who feels like the fr 3.5 feels bad.

15. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

I have attached my controller, please feel free to try if it makes any difference.

Have tried both going 1.0 in-game and adjust the force in SimuCube, or using ~0.45 (or what needed) in-game and have the force at 100% in SimuCube but have not noted any major difference. Most of the time I use 0 in-game filter.

Also noted that using the Reconstruction filter in the range 3-7 depending on car and setting the Peaking and notch filter can be used to filter out some of the jolts from entering curbs and such, like this:

upload_2018-5-1_18-11-52.png

Hz 3-8 and dB -2.5 - 10 depending on car works fine for most cars.

Attached Files:

mtojay likes this.
  16. mtojay

mtojay Registered

hey guys. i really thank you a lot for all your effort to help me. i tried everything now and by now i am convinced that it is probably down to the car and its shitty ffb.

i think i am done with rf2 again. i will revisit in another year or so to see if things have changed.

i bought it almost 3.5 - 4 years ago shortly before receiving the oculus dk2 because my league switched to it from race07 back then, but then they never offered vr support so i didnt play it and couldnt leave vr behind. then last year when they offered vr support i wanted to dive in again but the performance wasnt there on my somewhat dated gpu (gtx 980). so i waited again, with the newest version the performance is finally playable. but since i am really only interested in coming back to the league there really is only one car for me that matters, and as it turns out that car seems to have the worst ffb i have ever driven in any sim with a dd wheel. as sad and bad as it sounds i really dont think i have ever driven something that gives me so little steering resistance while extrapolating every single other element on the road as much as possible. it really baffles my mind how people can enjoy the car with a direct drive wheel.

such a shame really. bittersweet because i would love to join my old league. thats how it is for now. maybe they will make it work at some point, who knows.

thx again for all your help. i will revisit at some point.

17. Markj

Markj Registered

Have you tried other cars and tracks so that you know the problem is just the one car? I drive all the current sims and rF2 is to me the best for feedback. That said with a big mige on full a sawtooth kerb is gonna hurt, as it would on a track. I use small mige limited to about 18kn and even with damping it can be brutal. Again depends on car and track though, and Simucube damping and filter can help.
    With the F3.5 have you tried adding caster to increase low speed feel? Although this car does feel a bit weird from memory, not my favourite...

mtojay likes this.
  18. mtojay

mtojay Registered

yeah, i tried 2 others. while i didnt really enjoy any of them as much as i enjoyed my go to cars in iracing they were def better then the fr3.5 2014. thats why i am convinced its down to the car. its expected for me that i have to get used to ffb in a different sim. but getting almost no feedback in corners from streering resistance just destroys the enjoyment of direct drive wheel completely for me. i tried with more caster of course. and while that increases the low speed feel it also increases the curbs and offtrack rumble and i am literally scared to break my wrists. as soon as i drive with a level of ffb where the low speed corners start to feel okayish a little mistake that sends me off track really really scares me that it might hurt me physically.

i have spend countless hours in the last few days tweaking and testing but sadly with no success. as i said, i will revisit. thx again for your help though.

19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Come back in about 12 hours and I will tell you what I adjust to minimize ripple strip and impact severity.

mtojay likes this.
  20. mtojay

mtojay Registered

hey mate. so whats your secret :)